dwarner672

Base Building QOL Changes & More

Howdy,

Just wanted to preface this by saying I'm adoring the game so far. It's ~4:30 AM and I should be sleeping, but instead I just kind of want to play Astroneer and talk about it. An absolutely phenomenal experience, and I'm so happy to say I can participate in the Early Access journey. While this post will be an eclectic blend of ideas, the general point I wanted to touch base on was, well, bases.

While bases aren't as important as, say, exploring, there's still a plethora of players who are going to opt for spending the bulk of their time making a clean, cozy base with optimal power layouts, etc. And while they may not reap the same rewards as somebody more adventurous, exploring planet to planet, they'll have their own fun. This being said, as somebody who's done a little bit of both (exploring and extensive building), here's some first impressions:

• I was disappointed to find I couldn't delete placed modules (as far as I could tell). In the future, being able to disassemble them and get a partial resource refund would be a great way to readjust and touch up our base of operations.

• Loving the interface, it was almost deceptively simple at first. You only have to learn once, there's no tricks. Parts snap easily, and you know which can go where. However, this being said, I wish you could snap a small solar panel or small wind turbine onto the top of batteries. Currently, my rover has a battery hooked on the back and two solar panels on the front and back... which will occasionally fall off due to what I can only assume is impact with rocks, etc.

• Establishing a specific area on a planet you want to set up a base at felt kind of hard. I could only really tell where my initial pod had landed, but not which specific point I had visited on other planets. I believe there's one sizable change that could be made to improve this process: landing platforms.

• Once per planet, use a deployable landing pad which marks the area as your home, and acts as a place for pods and ships to land (on the first planet, maybe your pod could land at a premature base with a landing pad and a single connector to set up a module). Deconstruct to reestablish your home turf. This can be used to create entirely new/unique drop zones on the planet.

• As far as a sense of safety goes, every aspect of exploring a new planet (or starting the game fresh) is very exciting and risky. You're on more of a timer than you are when you're riding around in a rover, etc. However, as the game grows and new risks are added, so too will the need for more ways for the player to protect themselves. While structures are likely out of the question, I believe the ability to create base perimeters-- such as futuristic bulwarks, barricades, or walls-- is a necessity. Even if just to protect from the debris of weather, it might be nice, especially if debris eventually could harm equipment and modules and force you to repair them. Maybe you could even modify said perimeters to create an oxygen-rich field which didn't require tethers. To build on this, the planned farming content could be exclusive to, or more efficient within, a safety zone.

• Lastly, probably the least consequential aspect of the game... stylistic flair. I love that you can choose your own spaceman and their shape/color. Truthfully, I believe the little things like these have a huge impact on the game as a whole, especially since multiplayer is so seamless. Right now, the thing killing the game for my friends is that they crash whenever they try to play with me, or I do when I play with them. Obviously that'll get fixed, but once we're in a game together, what'll make it different than solo play? What'll make us say "man, this was a great idea" instead of continuing to play solo like we are now? Maybe the rover could have a goofy horn, maybe more emotes/spaceman or spacewoman body shapes/colors are a good idea. However, I feel that base building is one factor that will bring people together more than most. Building something meaningful with friends is always fun-- let us build something together as we explore, maybe with decorations or recreational modules. Let us be able to fly to different planets, make something truly impressive, and be able to show each other late-game as we visit their planets from time to time.

Anyways, that's all I've got. Thanks for reading and sorry for the wall of text.

New canvas.jpg

Edited by dwarner672

The things may be breaking off of your front and back of your vehicles if for example you drive close enough to a building base.

When the ghosted image of the power cable appears indicating you can connect the vehicle to supply it with power, it will automatically detach anything attached to that slot.

It even does it with the Drill Bit and Winch which can get really annoying :\

13 minutes ago, Nafen said:

The things may be breaking off of your front and back of your vehicles if for example you drive close enough to a building base.

When the ghosted image of the power cable appears indicating you can connect the vehicle to supply it with power, it will automatically detach anything attached to that slot.

It even does it with the Drill Bit and Winch which can get really annoying :\

Yeah, that's what I noticed too. A shame, because I like to park it near my base/my modules. I wouldn't be too heartbroken if they even removed the function for rovers to hook up to bases, but that might be because I haven't found a use for it yet.

I really really like the idea of the "force field" in which you can breath and stuff. Works good with my idea of the oxygen generator.

Quarit over and out.

16 minutes ago, dwarner672 said:

Yeah, that's what I noticed too. A shame, because I like to park it near my base/my modules. I wouldn't be too heartbroken if they even removed the function for rovers to hook up to bases, but that might be because I haven't found a use for it yet.

Hooking it up will connect it to the 'power grid', so it can charge up. Vehicles seem to connect to tethers but don't seem to be able to take power through tethers.

I think this is so you can go out with your vehicle and then START a new tether line, from the vehicle itself. Placing tethers while going into a cave, so you don't have to take the vehicle in there.

Then picking up the tethers on the way out. Or just leaving them there for any future spelunking.

But the fact that vehicles sort of mess with your existing tethers at the base kind of ruins that idea.

9 hours ago, dwarner672 said:

However, I feel that base building is one factor that will bring people together more than most. Building something meaningful with friends is always fun-- let us build something together as we explore, maybe with decorations or recreational modules. Let us be able to fly to different planets, make something truly impressive, and be able to show each other late-game as we visit their planets from time to time.

This being said an idea rushed through my head like Jimmy Neutron.

Building/assembling huge skeletons from all over the planet into one. I know there are many parts or Balrok's (?) over the planet and they are somewhat different from each other. So assembling these on a high ground would show how much you explored this planet. Of course these have to be picked up with a crane etc.

Quarit over and out.