Sign in to follow this  
HectiF12

Two ideas for improving wind vanes and turbines

Recommended Posts

1. When a wind vane or turbine is attached to a car which is moving, it should generate energy, even if wind isn't blowing.

2. In sand storms both should generate too.

Edited by HectiF12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with the wind generator working on moving vehicles. In reality, it would cost more energy to move the turbine through the air than it would generate in return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HectiF12 said:

1. When a wind vane or turbine is attached to a car which is moving, it should generate energy, even if wind isn't blowing.

2. In sand storms both should generate too.

1: Diminishing returns, but plausible.

2: You would think it would work. But maybe the wind storm would destroy it as it would spin too fast, it would rip itself apart (like, wind farms now disable their turbines in high wind situations).

23 minutes ago, grendellion said:

I disagree with the wind generator working on moving vehicles. In reality, it would cost more energy to move the turbine through the air than it would generate in return. 

I see no harm in allowing it. Getting some energy back, vs nothing, is still some energy.

Take this real world example:

A) A fan powered by a battery which is charged by a turbine - aimed at the turbine.

B) A fan powered by a battery which is charged by a turbine - aimed away from the turbine.

In a room with NO wind, and a full charge of battery, 'A' would run longer than 'B'. But not indefinitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind needs to be a more consistent source with less return in my opinion.  9 wind = 3 solar = 1 generator.

I REALLY want generators that only run when power is needed and automatically pull consumables out of attached storage units

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nich said:

Wind needs to be a more consistent source with less return in my opinion.  9 wind = 3 solar = 1 generator.

I REALLY want generators that only run when power is needed and automatically pull consumables out of attached storage units

Agreed. I consider it a bug that it keeps eating away resources when its not generating power (since nothing is calling for power, or empty batteries and the like).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this