I have burned 20 hours into Astroneer and I just want to say, AMAZING game. You've probably heard this a million times but it's true, and I really see this game becoming the next big thing. This is my first post so please do not judge too harshly. Anyways, straight to the point, I feel like a great and useful addition to the game would be a small change to tethers. Aside from the inevitable bugs, which are minor annoyances to be expected, the biggest pet peeve of mine is trying to space tethers as far as possible without losing the connection, especially when linking long distances. Now, here's my brilliant solution. Make it so that when dragging tethers, it stops at the maximum length possible, but still allowing for shorter spaced tethers. Additionally, include the option to turn this off in case players dislike this feature for whatever reason. I hope that you take this idea into consideration as it would make mine and a lot of other players' lives easier. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. :)

Definetley agree with this idea:D. I am exactly the same as you and am constantly trying to space them out as far as possible. Also like the ability to disable it, some players might like the challenge.

radius-circle.gifHere is a better depiction of what I mean just for clarification.

The dot in the middle is where you're expanding from, and the "circle" is where the game would stop the tether from going any further. However, the tether can be placed anywhere inside the "circle" as well, meaning it shouldn't be locked at the maximum length and can be shorter as desired.

Edited by Rice Alpaca

42 minutes ago, Nickyish said:

Definetley agree with this idea:D. I am exactly the same as you and am constantly trying to space them out as far as possible. Also like the ability to disable it, some players might like the challenge.

Glad to know someone else shares the struggle ;-;

BUMP BUMP a million times bump.  I can see this introducing some bugs when you have multipule teathers in an area rather then just a strait line but shouldnt be too hard to get working correctly.

ALSO I think the shift modifier is a great idea.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:03 PM, Rice Alpaca said:

... the biggest pet peeve of mine is trying to space tethers as far as possible without losing the connection, especially when linking long distances. Now, here's my brilliant solution. Make it so that when dragging tethers, it stops at the maximum length possible...

Haven't you noticed they already have a built-in "snap" function to show you, in hologram, when you're placing it at the absolute length limit, or too far?

The halograms are already there to guide you, works great. I see no reason to change this elegantly simple consistency of the game.

On 1/5/2017 at 9:45 PM, travin said:

Haven't you noticed they already have a built-in "snap" function to show you, in hologram, when you're placing it at the absolute length limit, or too far?

The halograms are already there to guide you, works great. I see no reason to change this elegantly simple consistency of the game.

But it is still difficult to get the maximum length possible without spending about ten seconds on each placement

8 hours ago, Rice Alpaca said:

But it is still difficult to get the maximum length possible without spending about ten seconds on each placement

I don't know about ten seconds. Just move the tether you're carrying till the hologram disappears, scoot back the mouse a little, and bam.

On 1/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, Rice Alpaca said:

A snap function with a circle showing is going to work exactly the same way as the current version. The same visual cue that looks only slightly different. So if it's taking you ten seconds to place one a circle isn't going to help.