IndieCrypt

P.O.D the Personal Overhead Drone

1 minute ago, Ferocious said:

The game is kind of to heavily relied on tethers atm.  My backpack looks like this 24/7.

.jpg

Oh, I only meant if they were solar powered, as they provide oxygen, it would render above land tethers pointless ;) But cave tethers, a P.O.D is no match :D 

1 minute ago, Sad Brother said:

So where are you collect resources?

I dont, there are no resources where I am. I use research and hydrazine to trade.

On 4/1/2017 at 3:32 AM, IndieCrypt said:

So what is the Personal Overhead Drone?

The Personal Overhead Drone or, P.O.D for short, is an Astroneer's best friend and is attached to the back of the starting habitat when you start a new world... This little device has the ability to emit light, provide oxygen and energy to the player when powered, fit in the Astroneer's backpack, and alert any nearby Astroneer of incoming natural events such as storms.

How does it emit light? Much like the tethers, the P.O.D is brighter than the Astroneer's headlights and covers a much wider range making this a useful device to have when exploring in caves and at night.

How does it provide oxygen and energy to the player? Much like the tethers, the P.O.D can be attached to by any Astroneer close by, however it will only provide oxygen and energy when it is either receiving power or has power stored. It receives power much like any other structure or device in Astroneer, by being attached to a tether or structure gaining power. The P.O.D's power cells located on its back are the same design as the player's power cells, only there are a total of four single cells. Each cell lasts for a whole minute when completely powered giving the P.O.D a total lifetime of four minutes when each cell is fully powered. When the P.O.D has depleted its power it will stop all actions and drop to the floor, the player is now able to pick it up, move it around, place it back down and even place it into a free slot in his/her inventory. The P.O.D can then be recharged by placing it near any tether or structure receiving power.

How does it fit in an Astroneer's backpack? Well like any other resource such as compound or resin, it can be placed into any free slot, as the P.O.D is as small as a beacon.

How does it alert an Astroneer of incoming events? Well much like the alerts you receive when running low on oxygen the P.O.D will emit an alert of the type of event and depending on the event it will also provide more visual aid by, for example, spinning around the player and causing a tiny whirlwind of dust to appear if it were a storm. Along with the visual aid it will also provide hearing aid by making a unique sound to the specific event occurring.

How big is the P.O.D? The P.O.D is about the same size as a beacon.

How does the P.O.D move around? The P.O.D hovers above the player when powered making a calm humming sound, when the player moves it follows and faces in the direction of the player. When the P.O.D loses power it will be immobile until recharged. Even when fully charged the P.O.D can be stored in the player's backpack, while in the backpack if the player is receiving power it will also transfer to the P.O.D.

Why should this be a feature in Astroneer?

I believe the P.O.D would be a great feature to have in Astroneer as it is such a flexible device and opens up so much more gameplay and possibilities for current and future builds of the game. In the game's current state the P.O.D will be useful for exploring caves and starting off as it provides a good and steady supply of oxygen, energy and light. In future builds the P.O.D will be able to adapt with the new features, for example, if hostile lifeforms are ever added the P.O.D could be used as a combat device? The main reason behind this idea was to allow new possibilities such as combat and easier exploration. I mainly designed the P.O.D to suit the theme of Astroneer and be a flexible feature which can adapt to new updates!

I thank you for taking your time to read this suggestion and if you think of something the P.O.D could be useful for let me know below!

P.O.D Sketch.PNG

I think that the drone should be attached to you backpack to work (just like a solar array), then it fly off when charged and return IN the backpack when "exausted", just waiting to fly again.

This way it will be more balanced, and it doesn't drop on the ground when energy is depleted (no need to pick it up). Also i'ts more easy to interact with it, since by opening your inventory it will close in to its slot.

Sorry if i said something weird, but i'm not english. I hope i wrote everything right ;)

32 minutes ago, thecarlocarlone said:

I think that the drone should be attached to you backpack to work (just like a solar array), then it fly off when charged and return IN the backpack when "exausted", just waiting to fly again.

This way it will be more balanced, and it doesn't drop on the ground when energy is depleted (no need to pick it up). Also i'ts more easy to interact with it, since by opening your inventory it will close in to its slot.

Sorry if i said something weird, but i'm not english. I hope i wrote everything right ;)

This could work... And I think if there is no space left in the backpack it will then drop to the ground ;) And when it returns to you after it collects minerals, once it touches the backpack, if there is space the minerals automatically clip into a storage slot, if not... They drop to the ground :D 

6 minutes ago, IndieCrypt said:

This could work... And I think if there is no space left in the backpack it will then drop to the ground ;) And when it returns to you after it collects minerals, once it touches the backpack, if there is space the minerals automatically clip into a storage slot, if not... They drop to the ground :D 

I also read that it's supposed to have slots!

that mean it will become a backback plus, so you can potentiate it: small energy battery for longer duration, oxygen tank to avoid using energy for oxygen (if energy will be used for other meaning) or simply nothing to save space --> as i said just like a backpack!

I don't know how it will end... but even if it will become a bonus slot for your backpack that follow you instead, having a pet it's awesome!!

PS: maybe if hostile will be ever add, a modular gun to make the drone protect you (or if attached to your base protect your base).

Just now, thecarlocarlone said:

I also read that it's supposed to have slots!

that mean it will become a backback plus, so you can potentiate it: small energy battery for longer duration, oxygen tank to avoid using energy for oxygen (if energy will be used for other meaning) or simply nothing to save space --> as i said just like a backpack!

I don't know how it will end... but even if it will become a bonus slot for your backpack that follow you instead, having a pet it's awesome!!

PS: maybe if hostile will be ever add, a modular gun to make the drone protect you (or if attached to your base protect your base).

So while it is in the backpack those extra slots on the side retract and you cannot place nuggets onto them so this will prevent people exploiting using it to increase their backpack size... If there are nuggets already on the storage slots before it retracts those nuggets will automatically place into another storage spot if there is space, if not, they will drop off onto the ground :D 

I like the direction this is going, though I have a few modifiers to consider:

1. Research/Skill - already mentioned, you'd have to research this uncommon item to deploy it. However, with all the great ideas for upgrading it's abilities, I think that comes with gaining skills and other research. There could be a tree of research to achieve the different upgrades.
  2. Replacement for Tethers - this is the single best idea of this concept. It could be game changing and I think it's a great idea. However, then there would need to be different or improved wayfinding tools. With this minimal set of features, tethers are the primary means to find your way around. Remove them and you drastically change how you find your way, perhaps not in a good way, without replacements.
  3. Deployment Duration - the idea that it just drops to the ground when it runs out of power/gas, is a problem. Especially in a hazardous environment. Sure, it will add a bit of danger/risk to the game, but even with proper warnings it could pose a significant problem. Maybe if the warnings are as dire and uses visual alerts as hit damage or impending death, it could be more useful. Otherwise people are going to be constantly stuck in hazardous situations when suddenly their lifeline will drop into an unrecoverable hole, they'll die with no means to quickly build a new pod or later re-find their corpse and supplies. Other than tethers, the game currently has no way to relocate a corpse deep underground.
  4. Memory - an added wayfinding feature by giving it the ability to remember a location. Give it, say, a command to find your corpse underground. By some means, like color coded "warm/cold" indicators on the compass, it could help lead you to a location. Additionally, you can later recall a list of named locations the pod will help you find.
Edited by travin

4 hours ago, travin said:

I like the direction this is going, though I have a few modifiers to consider:

1. Research/Skill - already mentioned, you'd have to research this uncommon item to deploy it. However, with all the great ideas for upgrading it's abilities, I think that comes with gaining skills and other research. There could be a tree of research to achieve the different upgrades.
  2. Replacement for Tethers - this is the single best idea of this concept. It could be game changing and I think it's a great idea. However, then there would need to be different or improved wayfinding tools. With this minimal set of features, tethers are the primary means to find your way around. Remove them and you drastically change how you find your way, perhaps not in a good way, without replacements.
  3. Deployment Duration - the idea that it just drops to the ground when it runs out of power/gas, is a problem. Especially in a hazardous environment. Sure, it will add a bit of danger/risk to the game, but even with proper warnings it could pose a significant problem. Maybe if the warnings are as dire and uses visual alerts as hit damage or impending death, it could be more useful. Otherwise people are going to be constantly stuck in hazardous situations when suddenly their lifeline will drop into an unrecoverable hole, they'll die with no means to quickly build a new pod or later re-find their corpse and supplies. Other than tethers, the game currently has no way to relocate a corpse deep underground.
  4. Memory - an added wayfinding feature by giving it the ability to remember a location. Give it, say, a command to find your corpse underground. By some means, like color coded "warm/cold" indicators on the compass, it could help lead you to a location. Additionally, you can later recall a list of named locations the pod will help you find.

All great improvements :D And maybe instead of dropping straight down when it runs out of power it enters your backpack, if there is space, and it can use the power from a battery in your inventory to re-power or something similar!?

8 hours ago, IndieCrypt said:

So while it is in the backpack those extra slots on the side retract and you cannot place nuggets onto them so this will prevent people exploiting using it to increase their backpack size... If there are nuggets already on the storage slots before it retracts those nuggets will automatically place into another storage spot if there is space, if not, they will drop off onto the ground :D 

You're right...

so, what if the drone IS part of the backpack, and to deploy it you lose space? even in the late game I would have a reason to not deploy it!

The fact is that I really dislike the fatc that it drop on the groud, since POD first of all is PERSONAL! so one each with no possibility to craft another one, and no possibility of losing it (if it drop in a cave or in a wormhole you will lose it forever! that's not good).

PS: of course if your idea was craftable drone my idea is useless, but beware exploit of a single man runnig dozen of them! :D

On 05/01/2017 at 9:20 AM, Sad Brother said:

Hm, lets think.

Is it jet? If so, hydrazine tank needed. Use hydrazine to fly. Upgrade module to condense hydrazine from energy slowly.

If not jet, remodel as quadrocopter, cannot fly without atmosphere.

I like the idea of fuelling it with hydrazine, or when it's docked to your pack it recharges with your power bar.

id like to be able to control it remotely too, it'd be really useful to scout cave systems, maybe give it an attachment slot so you can drop a beacon at a point of interest?

57 minutes ago, Chris p said:

I like the idea of fuelling it with hydrazine, or when it's docked to your pack it recharges with your power bar.

id like to be able to control it remotely too, it'd be really useful to scout cave systems, maybe give it an attachment slot so you can drop a beacon at a point of interest?

Yeah this could work :D I think the best thing about the P.O.D is that it is rather easily modified to new ideas xD 

8 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

A good idea would be to update the ideas into the first post of this thread.

You cannot edit a post after fifteen minutes... ;) 

6 hours ago, thecarlocarlone said:

The fact is that I really dislike the fact that it drop on the ground

If it use fuel or power, you should always have this probability.

2 hours ago, Sad Brother said:

If it use fuel or power, you should always have this probability.

I know but instead of dropping it should return to your backpack or something (i just dont want to lose it in some wormhole)

Just now, thecarlocarlone said:

I know but instead of dropping it should return to your backpack or something

Even if it is too far from you?

Even your character is dead?

Even if you are log off?

On 1/5/2017 at 9:50 AM, IndieCrypt said:

Yes you can only build one, if you lose one then you would have to retrieve it...

Maybe a remote self-destruct feature? just in case you get glitched into a cave that you can't find or w/e, because not being able to build another one in that situation could be a little annoying.

1 hour ago, kiefac said:

Maybe a remote self-destruct feature? just in case you get glitched into a cave that you can't find or w/e, because not being able to build another one in that situation could be a little annoying.

OMG! this is what i'm talking about!

So people can only have 1 of them, and if something go wrong you can retrieve it somehow!

Good Idea!!

26 minutes ago, thecarlocarlone said:

OMG! this is what i'm talking about!

So people can only have 1 of them, and if something go wrong you can retrieve it somehow!

Good Idea!!

And given that it is a personalized piece of equipment, if someone else picks it up they'll have access to all of the info it contains. Specifically I'm thinking about if it has a memory function and list of someone else's beacons, bases and waypoints, etc.

21 minutes ago, travin said:

And given that it is a personalized piece of equipment, if someone else picks it up they'll have access to all of the info it contains. Specifically I'm thinking about if it has a memory function and list of someone else's beacons, bases and waypoints, etc.

I agree with you, but since the multiplayer is supposed to be a coop, where people work together to colonize a solar system.

So i don't see the point in the someone else's things-->everything should be shared between player.

Of course if it has some power up (like the battery for the backpack) you should be able to get it and use it on your own drone.

15 minutes ago, thecarlocarlone said:

So i don't see the point in the someone else's things-->everything should be shared between player.

Knowledge

We could be sharing a game, but you can't possibly know what I know unless I share it with you.

If I'm deep underground and I find something good I can, let's say, take a picture and set a waypoint to guide me back to it later. That's my job to scout things out and report back to the rest of the team and I've likely done that dozens of times during a game, on different planets. Is all of that information just automatically available to everyone in a huge list with everyone else's or could someone lead a mission by just giving me a pod with just their information to follow?

That's just one example it's useful. But who's to say the game is always co-op? I see no reason why we cant have friendly, non-combative competitions. We're doing that a bit now throwing ideas back and forth, so it's natural to have a means to share and compare information and experiences. Doing it with a pod could be a way to share complex data that can't be done otherwise.

Perhaps even sharing the unique capabilities of your pod allows others to have those capabilities too.

Edited by travin

In coops, resources often disappear and prevent you from personally progressing. What if I dig a hole to make a personal stash of resources, will everyone automatically know about it? Should they? Or could I stash things and later share that information as necessary by giving them one of my pods?

5 minutes ago, travin said:

Knowledge

We could be sharing a game, but you can't possibly know what I know unless I share it with you.

If I'm deep underground and I find something good I can, let's say, take a picture and set a waypoint to guide me back to it later. That's my job to scout things out and report back to the rest of the team and I've likely done that dozens of times during a game, on different planets. Is all of that information just automatically available to everyone in a huge list with everyone else's or could someone lead a mission by just giving me a pod with just their information to follow?

That's just one example it's useful. But who's to say the game is always co-op? I see no reason why we cant have friendly, non-combative competitions. We're doing that a bit now throwing ideas back and forth, so it's natural to have a means to share and compare information and experiences. Doing it with a pod could be a way to share complex data that can't be done otherwise.

Perhaps even sharing the unique capabilities of your pod allows others to have those capabilities too.

This game is about a human (or a group of humans) colonizing a new world, so why are they not working together?

Also a non-coop multiplayer means that this game will become a MMO!! Since you need room or server for multiplayer!!

2 minutes ago, travin said:

In coops, resources often disappear and prevent you from personally progressing. What if I dig a hole to make a personal stash of resources, will everyone automatically know about it? Should they? Or could I stash things and later share that information as necessary by giving them one of my pods?

if we're building a base together.... why should we steal resources to each other places?