IndieCrypt

P.O.D the Personal Overhead Drone

I have correction :D

If it would have only one slot, let it be allowed to use one of two "expansion" slots like Generator with Organics.

In general we have no restricted access here. "Personal" one just "in connection" like used Seat, so unavailable for other players.

3 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

I suppose you can make any quantity. The one, you started, become personal, others become not. Fallen/discharged are not personal. Cannot place in backpack if it's slots are not empty.

Any other questions?

Sadly, these did not actually answer the questions, and only brought up more. Keep in mind that the questions run together, and the answers cannot contradict eachother since this would cause issues with the actual use of the bots.

As I had asked before. Retrieving a bot that belongs to someone else, when they are not around. This would require that a player have more than one bot at a time, as they are retrieving it. If you can't place it in your pack when the slots aren't empty, then if it runs out of power and is holding things, it wouldn't be able to be placed in your pack. That would bring a very frustrating circumstance to having a bot.

You cannot take "Personal" drone. Fallen drone is not "Personal", just item like Generator. You still can take item from discharged drone like Organics from Generator.

Do you have problems with other player's Generator?

I dont think this should be implemented. It would make the game way too easy.

1. Storms can already be seen from a very far distance and its fun being caught off guard and have to dig a shelter in a panic.

2. It would make Oxygen Tanks and Small Batteries obsolete.

3. It would make the start of the game way too easy.

Edited by Fundayz

1.Storms and even wind can throw your precious drone away.

2.Drone reserves are quite limited.

3.Why? You need at least research it.

IndieCrypt , if you really want drone as "long hand" and spend only energy, learn to use Deform Tool. Imho anything flying should use fuel even if it would fly a good time from each bottle. At least Hydrazine can be found often enough. I prefer it as "Long Eye" first, "Long Hand" second and "Support companion" barely.

13 minutes ago, Fundayz said:

I dont think this should be implemented. It would make the game way too easy.

1. Storms can already be seen from a very far distance and its fun being caught off guard and have to dig a shelter in a panic.

2. It would make Oxygen Tanks and Small Batteries obsolete.

3. It would make the start of the game way too easy.

"Storms can already be seen from a very far distance and its fun being caught off guard and have to dig a shelter in a panic" - This will be helpful when storms do damage to your bases in the future updates...

"it would make Oxygen Tanks and Small Batteries obsolete" - Good point...

"it would make the start of the game way too easy" - Well you could always make it so the P.O.D had to be researched? :) 

Thank you for your feedback :D 

1 minute ago, Sad Brother said:

IndieCrypt , if you really want drone as "long hand" and spend only energy, learn to use Deform Tool. Imho anything flying should use fuel even if it would fly a good time from each bottle. At least Hydrazine can be found often enough. I prefer it as "Long Eye" first, "Long Hand" second and "Support companion" barely.

Well it using only power was just my opinion... Using fuel would make more sense as it uses jets to keep it hovering...

"I prefer it as long eye first, long hand second and support companion barely" - Everyone has their own opinions :) 

11 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

1.Storms and even wind can throw your precious drone away.

2.Drone reserves are quite limited.

3.Why? You need at least research it.

1. Except you wouldnt get hit by storms with the drone warning you.

2. Letting simple winds take it away would be annoying, not challenging.

3. Thats a bandaid fix for adding a feature that inherently makes the game too easy.

4. I was replying to OP who said it would come with the starting Habitat.

5. You havent addressed the fact it would make Small Batteries and Oxygen tanks obsolete. It is redundant.

The game is already VERY easy. This drone would make it easy to the point of being boring.

I would support other types of drones that only do things for which there arent options right now, such as 2-slot storage and/or increased lighting.

Edited by Fundayz

" 1. Except you wouldnt get hit by storms with the drone warning you. " - you should not but all is possible.

" 2. Letting simple winds take it away would be annoying, not challenging. " - subject to balance, increased fuel usage?, auto-correction?

" 4. I was replying to OP who said it would come with the starting Habitat. " - nothing is solid, we just suggest;

" 5. You havent addressed the fact it would make Small Batteries and Oxygen tanks obsolete. It is redundant. " - I wrote " 2.Drone reserves are quite limited. " and this is IF the Drone would have own O2/Energy reserve at all. No infinite supply from drone definitely.

The game is quite easy. The Drone can make it not easier, but less boring.

Do you want to "beat the game" ? I see this game as a "mean to relax". Choose your tools: vehicles, tethers, tanks, batteries, filters, beacons, why not drone. You can play the game without any kind of tool if you want. Can you step on moon without use of any mentioned? You can if you want. Definitely. (only shuttle needed ;) )

Edited by Sad Brother

What abut a base / charge station for each POD? Build the base, get a P.O.D. That way you are limiting how many by base building constraints.

5 minutes ago, DragonEater said:

What abut a base / charge station for each POD? Build the base, get a P.O.D. That way you are limiting how many by base building constraints.

Yeah this would work well :) Actually adding this would probably balance it all out and make it useful but not overpowering :D 

5 hours ago, DragonEater said:

What abut a base / charge station for each POD? Build the base, get a P.O.D.

It would not work.

1.Would you like to charge your POD on base only?

2.Would you use your POD from base only?

3.Do you think it is hard to make dozen of base platforms?

It would not work.

1.Would you like to charge your POD on base only?

2.Would you use your POD from base only?

3.Do you think it is hard to make dozen of base platforms?

"Would you like to charge your P.O.D on base only?" - Well how about the base module is used to upgrade the P.O.D?

"Would you use your P.O.D from base only?" - It is not tied to the base as that would defeat the whole purpose of the P.O.D...

"Do you think it is hard to make a dozen of base platforms?" - No but it is not hard to make a dozen rovers either... I do not see much of a difference other than you cannot drive the P.O.D and it can collect things for you?

1 minute ago, IndieCrypt said:

Well how about the base module is used to upgrade the P.O.D?

It was you to vote against upgrade :D

2 minutes ago, IndieCrypt said:

It is not tied to the base as that would defeat the whole purpose of the P.O.D...

So there is no sense in base charge station.

3 minutes ago, IndieCrypt said:

No but it is not hard to make a dozen rovers either...

So you are not limiting PODs quantity at all :D

It was you to vote against upgrade :D

One vote does not change anything, it was my opinion, a suggestion never has a solid foundation it always changes ;) 

2 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

So there is no sense in base charge station.

I meant it can go as far as it pleases and it does not have to be in a radius around the build module but you cannot build multiple from the same station :) 

3 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

So you are not limiting PODs quantity at all :D

There is no limit to how many rovers, trucks or shuttles you can have?

On 1/5/2017 at 8:49 AM, Sad Brother said:

I suppose you can make any quantity. The one, you started, become personal, others become not. Fallen/discharged are not personal. Cannot place in backpack if it's slots are not empty.

Any other questions?

I kind of like this idea but i think there might be a lag issue when players have 30 of these things. I would say an easy fix would to have a "Bot station" that has a max slot of 2 bots; 1 personal and one you can keep at base. Might even want to go as far as 1 Bot station per habitat. A recall to station button would be nice. Recall could despawn a lost bot, dropping what it had on it and 3d print it back into the station. A.I. puts a little stress on the host. I do think it should be limited somehow, since there future plans seem to include allowing more then 4 players.

Just noticed Dragoneater had also mentioned a station for the bot. +1

Edited by Ferocious

4 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

Recall could despawn a lost bot, dropping what it had on it and 3d print it back into the station.

Maybe it would have to cost to 3D print it back? 

1 minute ago, Ferocious said:

I kind of like this idea but i think there might be a lag issue when players have 30 of these things.

You can control one only. Others would descend and sleep (after finishing short task may be). No lag possible.

3 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

I would say an easy fix would to have a "Bot station" that has a max slot of 2 bots; 1 personal and one you can keep at base.

Store them in any slot. May be one "Personal" can be activated remotely. Disconnected POD tries to return to owner or start point if charged enough.

You can control one only. Others would descend and sleep (after finishing short task may be). No lag possible.

Store them in any slot. May be one "Personal" can be activated remotely. Disconnected POD tries to return to owner or start point if charged enough.

Guess it could work. Another issue with no limit -->Players would loose these all the time. Would a non-owner be able to pick fallen ones up but not attach them? They might get in the way of a friendly explorer. After being neglected for so long they should despawn or something. The station could at least show what PODs are offline, maybe add a way to tell how long they have  been offline.  Would be cool if they could be solar charged. That way any lost drones on the surface could slowly make their way back home in the day... or fall into a hole at night. o_o

3 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

Guess it could work. Another issue with no limit -->Players would loose these all the time. Would a non-owner be able to pick fallen ones up but not attach them? They might get in the way of a friendly explorer. After being neglected for so long they should despawn or something. The station could at least show what PODs are offline, maybe add a way to tell how long they have  been offline.  Would be cool if they could be solar charged. That way any lost drones on the surface could slowly make their way back home in the day... or fall into a hole at night. o_o

Yeah I like the idea of them being solar charged but then there would be no use for tethers when exploring above the surface... Maybe if you removed their ability to store power and they are solely powered by the sun!? But then again this would render their ability to give off light pointless... Hm... O.o 

1 minute ago, Ferocious said:

Another issue with no limit -->Players would loose these all the time. Would a non-owner be able to pick fallen ones up but not attach them? They might get in the way of a friendly explorer.

Dropped/out of charge PODs are items with the same despawn/pickup rules as all other - never/all. ;) Do not drop your precious :P

4 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

The station could at least show what PODs are offline, maybe add a way to tell how long they have  been offline.

Station just for information? No need.

5 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

Would be cool if they could be solar charged. That way any lost drones on the surface could slowly make their way back home in the day... or fall into a hole at night. o_o

And THAT could lead to a lag. To be fair, why to limit PODs per player than let all dropped PODs to be active and use CPU?

5 minutes ago, IndieCrypt said:

Yeah I like the idea of them being solar charged but then there would be no use for tethers when exploring above the surface... Maybe if you removed their ability to store power and they are solely powered by the sun!? But then again this would render their ability to give off light pointless... Hm... O.o 

The game is kind of to heavily relied on tethers atm.  My backpack looks like this 24/7. Tethers do work in PODs case though. They work as a path the ai can follow more easily.

.jpg

Edited by Ferocious