IndieCrypt

P.O.D the Personal Overhead Drone

So what is the Personal Overhead Drone?

The Personal Overhead Drone or, P.O.D for short, is an Astroneer's best friend and is attached to the back of the starting habitat when you start a new world... This little device has the ability to emit light, provide oxygen and energy to the player when powered, fit in the Astroneer's backpack, and alert any nearby Astroneer of incoming natural events such as storms.

How does it emit light? Much like the tethers, the P.O.D is brighter than the Astroneer's headlights and covers a much wider range making this a useful device to have when exploring in caves and at night.

How does it provide oxygen and energy to the player? Much like the tethers, the P.O.D can be attached to by any Astroneer close by, however it will only provide oxygen and energy when it is either receiving power or has power stored. It receives power much like any other structure or device in Astroneer, by being attached to a tether or structure gaining power. The P.O.D's power cells located on its back are the same design as the player's power cells, only there are a total of four single cells. Each cell lasts for a whole minute when completely powered giving the P.O.D a total lifetime of four minutes when each cell is fully powered. When the P.O.D has depleted its power it will stop all actions and drop to the floor, the player is now able to pick it up, move it around, place it back down and even place it into a free slot in his/her inventory. The P.O.D can then be recharged by placing it near any tether or structure receiving power.

How does it fit in an Astroneer's backpack? Well like any other resource such as compound or resin, it can be placed into any free slot, as the P.O.D is as small as a beacon.

How does it alert an Astroneer of incoming events? Well much like the alerts you receive when running low on oxygen the P.O.D will emit an alert of the type of event and depending on the event it will also provide more visual aid by, for example, spinning around the player and causing a tiny whirlwind of dust to appear if it were a storm. Along with the visual aid it will also provide hearing aid by making a unique sound to the specific event occurring.

How big is the P.O.D? The P.O.D is about the same size as a beacon.

How does the P.O.D move around? The P.O.D hovers above the player when powered making a calm humming sound, when the player moves it follows and faces in the direction of the player. When the P.O.D loses power it will be immobile until recharged. Even when fully charged the P.O.D can be stored in the player's backpack, while in the backpack if the player is receiving power it will also transfer to the P.O.D.

Why should this be a feature in Astroneer?

I believe the P.O.D would be a great feature to have in Astroneer as it is such a flexible device and opens up so much more gameplay and possibilities for current and future builds of the game. In the game's current state the P.O.D will be useful for exploring caves and starting off as it provides a good and steady supply of oxygen, energy and light. In future builds the P.O.D will be able to adapt with the new features, for example, if hostile lifeforms are ever added the P.O.D could be used as a combat device? The main reason behind this idea was to allow new possibilities such as combat and easier exploration. I mainly designed the P.O.D to suit the theme of Astroneer and be a flexible feature which can adapt to new updates!

I thank you for taking your time to read this suggestion and if you think of something the P.O.D could be useful for let me know below!

P.O.D Sketch.PNG

8 minutes ago, NSDoppler said:

I actually love this idea, especially with the storms. I hate running like all hell when a storm creeps up on me.

Haha, I am glad you like it :D I too have been surprise attacked by a couple storms... I just dig a hole and hide myself until it passes, but with the P.O.D at least I will have a fair warning...

Can anyone think of something you would use this device for, or, think of anything that could be added to make it even more useful? :D

If it has one slot, a fetch type command for hard to reach items.

It can also remote place tethers further than you can reach. ( Cave spaghetti anyone? )

2 hours ago, DragonEater said:

If it has one slot, a fetch type command for hard to reach items.

Haha, this would actually be very useful! Maybe it can even hold batteries or oxygen tanks to further its supply to the player!?

2 hours ago, DragonEater said:

It can also remote place tethers further than you can reach. ( Cave spaghetti anyone? )

That would be an interesting feature, have a high cave roof? Not a problem :D

1 minute ago, HellHasNoFear said:

I wasn't very interested in this but after reading your vision, I think it could be quite handy. +1

:D I am glad you think so! Thank you for your feedback :)

+1 This ties in pretty well with my suggestion especially since I am also asking for more dangerous and interesting storms on harder planets. Having an alert of an incoming store is super handy.

Hm, lets think.

Is it jet? If so, hydrazine tank needed. Use hydrazine to fly. Upgrade module to condense hydrazine from energy slowly.

If not jet, remodel as quadrocopter, cannot fly without atmosphere.

You want to attach goods to it? Slots needed. Double slot to fit research tokens.

Oxygen&Energy supply? Only from external tanks&battery (no "filters" as it is regenerator really). But able to charge tank&battery from tethers.

Leveled? Upgrade levels on Printer. Probably losing ability to hold it in backpack.

Commands? Select it as tool,  then control instead of hero. Tab to get vision. Can be used to see home/beacons from above.

Powerful tools? External, please. Printed and installed in slots.

And last note. Please no signs on the model, they are not translated.

Edited by Sad Brother
Note about tools added.

7 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

+1 This ties in pretty well with my suggestion especially since I am also asking for more dangerous and interesting storms on harder planets. Having an alert of an incoming store is super handy.

Thanks for the feedback :)

2 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

Hm, lets think.

Is it jet? If so, hydrazine tank needed. Use hydrazine to fly. Upgrade module to condense hydrazine from energy slowly.

If not jet, remodel as quadrocopter, cannot fly without atmosphere.

You want to attach goods to it? Slots needed. Double slot to fit research tokens.

Oxygen&Energy supply? Only from external tanks&battery (no "filters" as it is regenerator really). But able to charge tank&battery from tethers.

Leveled? Upgrade levels on Printer. Probably losing ability to hold it in backpack.

Commands? Select it as tool,  then control instead of hero. Tab to get vision. Can be used to see home/beacons from above.

And last note. Please no signs on the model, they are not translated.

"is it a jet?" - It uses a single jet to keep itself afloat yes, however it does not need Hydrazine... It uses power...

"if not jet, remodel as quadcoptor, cannot fly without atmosphere" - I believe the current design works fine with the theme of Astroneer...

"You want to attach goods to it? Slots needed. Double slot to fit research tokens"  - The maximum it can hold would be two nuggets... It is not big enough to hold an "unknown" fauna... The goods would be attached to the two side flaps you can see in the 3D model created by @Ferocious

"Oxygen and Energy supply? Only from external tanks and battery" - The P.O.D has a built in oxygen and energy supply and adding extra tanks and batteries would increase the lifetime of said component...

"Leveled?" - No the P.O.D has no levels of advancements... It stays the same size at all times...

"Commands? Select it as a tool, then control instead of hero. Tab to get vision. Can be used to see home/beacons from above" - Not a bad idea but I personally think it should only be able to pick up objects when instructed with the press of a button...

"And last note. Please no signs on the model, they are not translated" - Valid point... It does not need to be there it would just a nice aesthetic, however if you look on the starting space station you will see the marking "EXO" so I do not see the harm in having a simple "P.O.D" marking...

Thank you for your feedback and an insight on different perspectives :D 

"It uses a single jet to keep itself afloat yes, however it does not need Hydrazine... It uses power..." - Not in theme, sorry. And overpowered.

"The maximum it can hold would be two nuggets... It is not big enough to hold an "unknown" fauna..." - As you wish ;)

"The P.O.D has a built in oxygen and energy supply and adding extra tanks and batteries would increase the lifetime of said component..." - Energy supply or uses power? Oxygen and Energy supply are overpowered.

"No the P.O.D has no levels of advancements... It stays the same size at all times..." - As you wish, but how you fit in one slot thing with two slots extensions?

"I personally think it should only be able to pick up objects when instructed with the press of a button..." - People ask for a map and view from the above would fit it nicely. And you are not forced to change viewpoint. But you are able to.

"on the starting space station you will see the marking "EXO" " - It is kind of outside the gameplay and it is single, I suppose.

Thank you for your attention and just in case you miss my edition:

"Powerful tools? External, please. Printed and installed in slots. " - As you wish only two simple slots it seems no powerful tools.

9 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

"It uses a single jet to keep itself afloat yes, however it does not need Hydrazine... It uses power..." - Not in theme, sorry. And overpowered.

"The maximum it can hold would be two nuggets... It is not big enough to hold an "unknown" fauna..." - As you wish ;)

"The P.O.D has a built in oxygen and energy supply and adding extra tanks and batteries would increase the lifetime of said component..." - Energy supply or uses power? Oxygen and Energy supply are overpowered.

"No the P.O.D has no levels of advancements... It stays the same size at all times..." - As you wish, but how you fit in one slot thing with two slots extensions?

"I personally think it should only be able to pick up objects when instructed with the press of a button..." - People ask for a map and view from the above would fit it nicely. And you are not forced to change viewpoint. But you are able to.

"on the starting space station you will see the marking "EXO" " - It is kind of outside the gameplay and it is single, I suppose.

Thank you for your attention and just in case you miss my edition:

"Powerful tools? External, please. Printed and installed in slots. " - As you wish only two simple slots it seems no powerful tools.

"Not in the theme, sorry. And overpowered" - The starting habitat lands itself from full velocity by pumping air out the bottom, we could do the same for the P.O.D maybe? Just a single air jet at the bottom that is the thought I had in mind...

"Energy supply or uses power? Oxygen and Energy supply are overpowered" - Sorry I may have worded that wrong... It simply does the same thing as a tether except it does not need to be attached to a base. Its oxygen storage only goes down when the player is attached and is not receiving any oxygen, but its power storage always goes down to keep it "on" and once it has run out of power it shuts down and collapses to the floor no longer providing any assistance to the player... :) 

"As you wish, but how you fit one slot thing with two slots extensions?" - This is a very valid point, the ability to allow it to hold nuggets was a last minute idea and I only added this when you asked if it could hold goods... :) I never actually wanted to allow it to hold anything but you gave me the idea :D

"Thank you for your attention" - Thank you for your feedback! :)

"The starting habitat lands itself from full velocity by pumping air out the bottom" - Did you fill that jet? No sign of air here.

"Just a single air jet at the bottom that is the thought I had in mind..." - means copter in my opinion, unusable without atmosphere

"It simply does the same thing as a tether except it does not need to be attached to a base." - So can feed from own slots/reserve. Let it fill reserve from tethers also.

" the ability to allow it to hold nuggets was a last minute idea and I only added this when you asked if it could hold goods..." - it was before me. But why not upgrade portable drone into not portable but more powerful? So you can have level 1 in backpack for little assistance and later upgrade it to more powerful version.

Edited by Sad Brother

3 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

"The starting habitat lands itself from full velocity by pumping air out the bottom" - Did you fill that jet? No sign of air here.

"Just a single air jet at the bottom that is the thought I had in mind..." - means copter in my opinion, unusable without atmosphere

"It simply does the same thing as a tether except it does not need to be attached to a base." - So can feed from own slots/reserve. Let it fill reserve from tethers also.

" the ability to allow it to hold nuggets was a last minute idea and I only added this when you asked if it could hold goods..." - it was before me. But why not upgrade portable drone into not portable but more powerful? So you can have level 1 in backpack for little assistance and later upgrade it to more powerful version.

"Did you fill that jet? No sign of air here" -  No, you would be correct in this case, I totally misplaced that the worlds do not contain oxygen :D However at the same time, how does the habitat create oxygen for the player?

"Means copter in my opinion, unusable without atmosphere" - Yes you are correct, the whole idea of the P.O.D was for it to hover above the player, not fly out into space but again, it was my fault as I was forgetting that the worlds of Astroneer do not have oxygen to supply its air, propelled jets... :D 

"So can feed from own slots/reserve. Let it fil reserve from the tethers also" - Yes that was the idea... :) 

"It was before me" - You are correct... :D

"But why not upgrade portable drone into not portable drone but more powerful? So you can have level 1 in backpack for little assistance and later upgrade it to more powerful version" - Well I suppose it could work but instead of upgrading it you I think you can simply research a whole new design, similar to the rover and truck... :) 

" Well I suppose it could work but instead of upgrading it you I think you can simply research a whole new design, similar to the rover and truck... :)  " You are right.

And I like those pictures ;)

Just now, Sad Brother said:

" Well I suppose it could work but instead of upgrading it you I think you can simply research a whole new design, similar to the rover and truck... :)  " You are right.

And I like those pictures ;)

I only created the initial pixel art sketch, @Ferociouswas the one who made the 3D models and the in game visual models :) Thank you for all your feedback :D 

I like where the idea is going, but I have one major question- that leads to other questions. Can you only build one? If yes, then what if you lose one (Say, it suddenly shut off and then fell down a hole), do you then need to make another? Do you have to retrieve the other? If so, then what is to stop someone from making multiples and putting them into their pack, for one extra slot? (Since each bot has 2 slots, and only take up 1 slot) Since this is multiplayer, if each player has one, can they store the other players'; say, if one player lost it, and the other player went to retrieve it for a friend? If you die, and retrieve stuff from your body, then what happens?

I suppose you can make any quantity. The one, you started, become personal, others become not. Fallen/discharged are not personal. Cannot place in backpack if it's slots are not empty.

Any other questions?

5 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

I like where the idea is going, but I have one major question- that leads to other questions. Can you only build one? If yes, then what if you lose one (Say, it suddenly shut off and then fell down a hole), do you then need to make another? Do you have to retrieve the other? If so, then what is to stop someone from making multiples and putting them into their pack, for one extra slot? (Since each bot has 2 slots, and only take up 1 slot) Since this is multiplayer, if each player has one, can they store the other players'; say, if one player lost it, and the other player went to retrieve it for a friend? If you die, and retrieve stuff from your body, then what happens?

Yes you can only build one, if you lose one then you would have to retrieve it...

Just now, IndieCrypt said:

Yes you can only build one, if you lose one then you would have to retrieve it...

1 minute ago, Sad Brother said:

I suppose you can make any quantity. The one, you started, become personal, others become not. Fallen/discharged are not personal. Cannot place in backpack if it's slots are not empty.

Any other questions?

Honestly I prefer @Sad Brother's answer to that question... :D