aetherphalanx

Xbox vs W10 v Steam

Anyone have the box and steam version or have at least played both and have opinions on pros/cons ?

I've compared my box to w10 and have to say that in many ways the pc version is just far superior.  More than just UI.  I'm curious if there is a notable difference between w10 and steam?

Edited by aetherphalanx

I have both... it's the same UI, the only pro is that Steam version gets patches about a week (3-5 days) before the xbox/W10 version.  The xbox/W10 version are same version of the game... Pro to PC is the mouse gives finer detail over terrain modification but the controlling vehicles and just overall casualness of the game suits a controller better for me...  It's all opinion though, except the detail over terrain is objective 

5 minutes ago, Preyhunter said:

I have both... it's the same UI, the only pro is that Steam version gets patches about a week (3-5 days) before the xbox/W10 version.  The xbox/W10 version are same version of the game... Pro to PC is the mouse gives finer detail over terrain modification but the controlling vehicles and just overall casualness of the game suits a controller better for me...  It's all opinion though, except the detail over terrain is objective 

This sounds like a vote for Steam w/ a Steam Controller, best of both worlds

I have both.

Steam gets access to the latest builds and the KB/Mouse offers way more control with the terrain tool.

XBone has less frequent updates but offers a more relaxed(?) setting via the couch and the controls are, to be candid, horrible. SES did mention that they need improving so hopefully we see that soon.

As far as performance. Once Microsofts upcoming "Game Mode" gets into full swing, XBone/Win10(UWP) players should see an increase as long as SES takes advantage of the system.

27 minutes ago, optyk said:

XBone has less frequent updates but offers a more relaxed(?) setting via the couch 

This game runs fine on my htPC using a controller, from my couch and tv, using the Steam purchase/install... ;) 

So really, there is ZERO benefits to buying the xbone version.

8 minutes ago, Frigidman said:

This game runs fine on my htPC using a controller, from my couch and tv, using the Steam purchase/install... ;) 

So really, there is ZERO benefits to buying the xbone version.

Maybe for people that own an Xbox and not a gaming PC? Or their PC is old and they don't want to upgrade it? Or all their gaming friends are on Xbox? Or it's just in another room and they want to play in their living room,  it don't want to move their PC out of their office?

56 minutes ago, Imelin Cane said:

Maybe for people that own an Xbox and not a gaming PC? Or their PC is old and they don't want to upgrade it? Or all their gaming friends are on Xbox? Or it's just in another room and they want to play in their living room,  it don't want to move their PC out of their office?

Whether someone has the hardware or not, wasnt the point of the thread I thought. Rather the difference in the game itself across possible platforms.

With only considering the game itself... there is no benefit to having the xbox version, because its limited. The Steam version allows for more hw/sw versatility, speedier updates, and community support (thinking workshop and mods in the future).

17 minutes ago, Frigidman said:

there is no benefit to having the xbox version, because its limited

If all other things are equal, sure. I have the Xbone version for many of the reasons above. I am considering buying the Steam version as well, but my experience will change. I wouldn't say for most people the benefits are zero. Also, it's good to have people testing on all platforms.

To specifically address the topic, my understanding is that the Xbone version is the same as the W10 version. The Steam version is almost the same, with the delay to approve updates, as is noted above and elsewhere.

Also agreed that controlling the terrain tool on Xbone is hard to control at times, and is a reason I may buy the PC version, just to get over that hurdle.

I own both and I've enjoyed the experience more on Steam with a mouse and keyboard. I like that Steam receives the updates faster (reason for a more stable framerate currently?). The multiplayer fun factor is felt the same on either XBONE or Steam, with an equal amount of hilarious bugs atm.

Not really what I was asking at all.

I don't care about your opinions on the "merits" of playing on the Xbox vs. PC.

I care, for people who have played both, if they notice differences in the gameplay itself.

For example: Terrain tool is markedly better with the mouse for obvious reasons.  I've also noted that the Box has a "rapid loot" ability that I can't seem to duplicate on the PC.  Rovers seem to have a much better ability to tow trailers on the Box to name a few.

23 minutes ago, aetherphalanx said:

I've also noted that the Box has a "rapid loot" ability that I can't seem to duplicate on the PC. 

For the PC version that ability is activated by Shift + Click on an item to place it directly into an open slot on your backpack.  Be advised  when shift+clicking to recover tethers... if the top left slot on your backpack is not empty, or that slot already contains a full bundle of tethers, the tether will be deleted. 

The other difference between them is with the terrain tool on Xbox you cycle through terrain tool options  on pc you have to hold the button to use it.