Request: please please PLEASE ad a leveling feature to the terrain tool

FixYourS#it

This is driving me nuts.  I start building a base and next thing I know one edge of it is half underground.  The terrain tool is great, it allows unprecedented control over terrain, now it just needs a leveling function to be perfect.  Please!

Hold ctrl :$

Edit: Also holding alt is for adding terrain, in case you weren't aware of that. With no modifier it destroys terrain. Those are all 3 of its firing modes.

Ctrl flattens terrain, yes, but doesn't level it.  I'm ending up with flat patches of land that eventually plow into the ground.

Gotcha, so are you trying to make curved slopes? I think the only way to accomplish this is to use the flatten mode until you reach another edge, then pick a new polygon and continue using the flatten mode at a new orientation... then maybe use the raise/lower mode to soften the edges.

When you begin using the flatten mode it grabs the exact triangle you were aiming at and flattens all nearby polygons to the same orientation. I've always thought it might be more useful instead to just average the height/orientation of all nearby polygons when using the flatten tool, and maybe that would be more helpful in your case too.

But I gotta say when I finally figured out how to use the flatten tool properly (please don't even ask how long it took me) I realized it's a godsend when you're trying to extend a walkway from a ridge down into a cave. Grab a polygon that's pointing slightly downward and you're good to go.

What I want is a level area of land.  

adjective
having no part higher than another
being in a plane parallel to the plane of thehorizon; horizontal.

Sure, the flatten function is great for making ramps.  It's terrific for getting down into a cave floor.  But it's not so good for setting up a base.

Have you tried starting to level from the black area under the nodes or base? Or do you want to create a flat area to start a base from ?

Archived