Marck

Solar System Challenge

Episode 14, the final episode in my attempt at @Marck's Solar System Challenge is now available!

Apo and Bean Gaming - Solar System Challenge Episode 14 - Final

It's been a lot of fun doing this challenge, even though I know I spent some extra base points on Radiated and Tundra just to be able to enjoy the planets a little more. A big thanks to @Marck for making this challenge!

Edited by ApoNono

That was an awesome journey! On the last planet, Tundra, ApoNono literally drove on top of Monument Valley with his rover during his expedition for resources. And when you have seen him driving the rover like kamikaze before, you wonder how he managed to do that without kiling himself. :)

Congratulations on finishing the challenge! Thank you for attempting it and sharing it with us, ApoNono.

From what I have seen, I now consider tracking base points not that important for this challenge. Perhaps tracking base points could be dropped entirely, or just set to a limit of maybe 24 or 30 base points for the whole challenge. Players should not be prevented from exploring just because they want to keep the base points count low. I think penalty points are much more important for enforcing some resource planning, and for making potential re-plays more interesting.

P.S.: I think it would be totally cool if another player could discover the remnants (bases, vehicles, equipment, terrain deformations) of such a challenge. Maybe players who finished this challenge would not mind sharing their save file with others?

Are you saying that I am a crazy driver!? :P

@Marck, you are very welcome. Thank you for making this challenge and giving me the opportunity to run through it as a series on the channel :)

I think the change to a pool of base points that you can deplete as little or much per planet would work out great. If you assume a max of 4 points per planet you could set the pool at 24 points.  This would let people pick a couple of planets to do what I did on Radiated and Tundra to do some additional exploration. 

Wish my save was working so I could share it out for the P.S. :(

P.S. I am very tempted to run through it again and aim for zero deaths and zero penalty points :)  One of the deaths I encountered was a suicide to help get me of Arid and away from the FPS issues.  The other death was from a bad decision on Exotic lol. 

Hi Peacekeeper!

I am watching your attempt at the challenge and I found it interesting that you practically skipped one planet (Arid) by bringing everything with you that is needed to build a shuttle and leave for the next planet. All resources needed for this fit into a backpack: 3 resin and 2 aluminum for the vehicle bay, 4 compound to build a shuttle, and just one hydrazine. When utilizing the printer slot in your backpack, you can even make room for a power generating device (solar panel, wind vane, or generator) which allows you to power up the vehicle bay. Together with a movable 1-seat brought on the landing shuttle you are able to lift off without ever walking farther than a tether line's length on the planet. Since you have a payload of another ten slots on the shuttle (8 on a small storage plus the fuel tank slots), you can even do this twice in a row.

That's totally fine and clever, and still requires some decent preparation and planning from a single player doing the challenge. However, with multiplayer, you have more backpacks at your disposal, allowing you to "skip" even more planets. With 4 players, you can load up your expedition on Terran and then just land, build, and lift-off on all of the other 5 planets. There's still the challenge to achieve the optimum score of 6 base points (i.e. building only a vehicle bay on each planet), but even that becomes relatively easy, because the only remaining difficulty is to find a 1-seat and 10 aluminum resources in spacecraft wreckage on Terran.

I might have an idea for a variation of the solar system challenge which (hopefully) encourages exploration of the planets and also works fine for multiplayer while still offering interesting gameplay.

Edited by Marck

1 hour ago, Marck said:

Hi Peacekeeper!

I am watching your attempt at the challenge and I found it interesting that you practically skipped one planet (Arid) by bringing everything with you that is needed to build a shuttle and leave for the next planet. All resources needed for this fit into a backpack: 3 resin and 2 aluminum for the vehicle bay, 4 compound to build a shuttle, and just one hydrazine. When utilizing the printer slot in your backpack, you can even make room for a power generating device (solar panel, wind vane, or generator) which allows you to power up the vehicle bay. Together with a movable 1-seat brought on the landing shuttle you are able to lift off without ever walking farther than a tether line's length on the planet. Since you have a payload of another ten slots on the shuttle (8 on a small storage plus the fuel tank slots), you can even do this twice in a row.

That's totally fine and clever, and still requires some decent preparation and planning from a single player doing the challenge. However, with multiplayer, you have more backpacks at your disposal, allowing you to "skip" even more planets. With 4 players, you can load up your expedition on Terran and then just land, build, and lift-off on all of the other 5 planets. There's still the challenge to achieve the optimum score of 6 base points (i.e. building only a vehicle bay on each planet), but even that becomes relatively easy, because the only remaining difficulty is to find a 1-seat and 10 aluminum resources in spacecraft wreckage on Terran.

I might have an idea for a variation of the solar system challenge which (hopefully) encourages exploration of the planets and also works fine for multiplayer while still offering interesting gameplay.

Always interested in new challenges :)

2 hours ago, Marck said:

Hi Peacekeeper!

Thanks for checking my attempt out. I invite you to keep watching. I'm really trying to follow the rules as strictly as possible, but still do things my way.

More challenges are better, although if it's just a revision expect me to work back to it after some varied challenges.

If it's multiplayer, then I'll need to find a group! ?

14 hours ago, Marck said:

Hi Peacekeeper!

In 2 person Multiplayer, you wouldn't get that much.  Yes, they have 10 storage slots, but you couldn't bring the 8 storage rack with you.  Really, they just add 2 slots.

I suppose they could add 4 slots if they rode in a habitat with 2 storage on it too....  Hmm..  ok, now that's 4 storage...

The only reason I don't ride in a Habitat is because I haven't researched it yet.  That comes into play in my next episode, coming out mid-Sunday.

Still having fun.

3 hours ago, Peacekeeper said:

Still going!

I have 5 episodes online, and more to come.  I will not die!  I will find a way to win!

Keep it up! Just don't beat my score lol

It is possible to make a complete Solar System Tour with a score of 6.  Just a vehicle bay at each planet.  Planet order is very important.  Hint: Arid fourth or sixth sounds good. If vehicles (rover) count as a point then 7 is about as good as you can do without a world circling length of tethers. Gathering 12 Aluminum on Terran almost took as long as the other 5 planets combined.

It was fun. Thanks Marck

Starting Load Pic

20170130141422_1.jpg

8 hours ago, John Q. Public said:

It is possible to make a complete Solar System Tour with a score of 6.  Just a vehicle bay at each planet.  Planet order is very important.  Hint: Arid fourth or sixth sounds good. If vehicles (rover) count as a point then 7 is about as good as you can do without a world circling length of tethers. Gathering 12 Aluminum on Terran almost took as long as the other 5 planets combined.

It was fun. Thanks Marck

Starting Load Pic

If you did complete the challenge with only 6 base points in single-player(!), then you have my deepest respect. But please excuse my scepticism. Before I congratulate you, please explain this:

• Did you not even use a small solar panel on Terran? I don't see any power generating devices in the picture, and the vehicle bay has been charged up although the shuttle is already completed and ready to leave.
  • Why did you gather 14 aluminum resources? You are right, you need 12 resources for the 6 vehicle bays, not just 10 as I said in my previous post. But 12 resources can be seen in the picture and another 2 have already been used to build the vehicle bay.

3 hours ago, Marck said:

If you did complete the challenge with only 6 base points in single-player(!), then you have my deepest respect. But please excuse my skepticism. Before I congratulate you, please explain this:

• Did you not even use a small solar panel on Terran? I don't see any power generating devices in the picture, and the vehicle bay has been charged up although the shuttle is already completed and ready to leave.
  • Why did you gather 14 aluminum resources? You are right, you need 12 resources for the 6 vehicle bays, not just 10 as I said in my previous post. But 12 resources can be seen in the picture and another 2 have already been used to build the vehicle bay.

I did use small solar panels.  I probably made a total of 3 or 4.  (I'm pretty sure that's not in the original rules to not use them. If so, I must forfeit my claim and suffer to another day of Astroneer to remedy the situation.)  As you can see there are also a nice assortment of Oxygen tanks.  I believe....down in the deep recesses of this planet now lay a couple of poor lost Astroneers who have no further need for their Oxygen, while I , in the same dark recesses had no further need of my small solar panels.  Therefore two solar panels are most likely laying by or affixed to another someone's backpack.   There will also be one solar panel all alone in the grasslands of Terran, sitting by a power node , thumbing for that ride back home that will never come.  If littering is against the rules then I will need to load that game and return that panel to the original habitat.

Too many aluminum.....hmmmmm.... Well Marck, I must confess,  I'm a hoarder.  Let's see now.  You spent an hour or so searching dead devs in the basement and now you're roaming in the world, bouncing off rocks and dodging falling rovers.  You're collecting something that you must have.... more ...more... you must have more.  You're pretty sure you have a few laying back at the home station and you're carrying 8 or 9 pieces from your long painstaking (what copper again?)  journey, but what's this on the horizon?  It appears to be another crash site, and lo and behold, after removing the dust and sand what do you see?   Another Aluminum... now what?  Let's see,  I'm pretty sure I have enough already, or do I???   I think I'll take just one more.  Repeat this if you're a hoarder and pretty soon you'll arrive home with more stuff than cabinets to put it in.    Look it up.  I think it's in the Webster under John Q. Public or hoarder.... one or the other.

Knowing that there might be a bit of that nasty "S" word of which I don't hold it against you Marck as this world is full of those that would need a bit more of that "S" word, I did save the game file before leaving Terran just in case someone wanted it.   I also wanted to be able to load it so I could try this again using a different planet order as to polish the finished product.

I hope that might answer the "S" you hold.  I might have fibbed about one thing.  The rover's solar panel may still be on the rover and not hopelessly  out by the power node. 

One thing again since I'm on the power part of the problem again.  People seem to think you need to tether out in the world to get to the "Stuff".  As you can see in my attached photo (first post) there is a opening right by my habitat.  You can drill right under your base and 9 times out of 10 hit a cave . Power is everywhere. Kill gas spitters and clean up power galore all around them.  You'll leave power blocks everywhere just a few tethers from your station. No need to go hunting for it like it's some rare commodity.  Keep drilling down from there and you'll get into the deep caves where poor devs have lost there way while pioneering Astroneer.  They carry a lot of things that make life easier.  ( Still not sure what the dynamite is for as it is too weak to blow up a plant at this stage.)

Done with the rattling. Let me know if you want a before or after game file to check my homework Sir.

Regards,

John Q.

I lied....  I went back and looked at a pic I had from a different angle and found that I totally made up the part about the solar panel .... all alone... by itself by the power node.  It's still on the rover and happy.  I didn't include this pic in the original post as you cannot see behind the habitat which would raise doubts on what might lurking back there out of sight.  A smelter possibly??

20170130141443_1.jpg

Thank you for your elaborate answer, John Q. Public. I am fine with accepting that you actually did this. Congratulations! I am majorly impressed. :)

I asked my questions because, frankly, I never expected anyone to actually attempt this 6 base point challenge in single-player; I was just theorizing about it for multi-player... And personally, I would approach this quite differently: I'd expect me to be happy with the exact amount of power and resources needed to go on. Thanks for giving us an insight into the mindset of someone who actually did it. Hard to believe, but you appear to actually have had fun doing it. ;)

But I (and perhaps others, too) want to know more about your journey: How many game sessions did it take to complete this challenge? Did you have to cover half of Terran's surface in order to gather everything needed? What route along the planets did you actually choose? I guess it gets just a tiny little bit easier the farther you go, because you have fewer slots occupied by aluminum resources, which means more room for other useful stuff. And you actually built just one rover during the whole challenge? Wouldn't it have been easier for gathering resources to use rovers on more planets?

15 hours ago, mardok said:

I got 16 points :)

Good job, congratulations!

Apparently, you brought a habitat with you each time you went to another planet, and you seem to have found some pretty neat locations for your bases. All of them appear to be next to cave entrances. Is that a natural hole next to your base on the Arid planet, or did you dig that one? I especially like your base locations on Barren and Radiated.

In what order did you visit the planets? Was any of the planets particularly hard to leave during your attempt on the challenge?