It will be cool to add a space station for this game where you can land with the space ship, go around, expand it and have utilities like a planet base! xD

I believe they have actually mentioned this in a few streams... Or maybe just one. Not sure- BUT! It has been mentioned before and the dev at the time did say it would be a cool idea. So how about we go a little more into detail on what you mean by a space station.

Does it have trading ports?

Is it a little space town?

Is it just some giant satellite-looking thing with a simple menu that pops up?

Do you land on it?

Do you connect to it?

Is it only accessible during a certain time?

Can you run around on it?

Are there others there?

Is it circular? Straight? An organic shape?

Are there different kinds? If so, what types?

Does this add any more actual gameplay, or is it just more bells and whistles when compared to the usual trading station already in the game?

Edited by Devious_Oatmeal

4 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Not sure what trading ports would be... just storage? Or would they work like trading works on the surface today? or something else?

5 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

I envision it working much like ground-based stations work, but with orbital characteristics and unique capabilities such as research that unlocks more space station capabilities, or perhaps even unlocks more advanced ground base capabilities as well. Ground-to-orbit resource transfers. orbital docking/refueling/fuel production. EVAs/Spacewalks (along with the risks/hazards of doing so). Perhaps even interstellar starship construction at a late game stage. 

9 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Do you land on it?

Do you connect to it?

I think it's a docking relationship, and less a landing pad, which suits the existing vehicle theme.

10 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Are there others there?

I think it'd orbit the world like your ship does, and you'd just conduct a burn to dock with it as it comes into view. Once docked, you could exit your spacecraft and EVA across its exterior and interact with its modules. I don't see why others couldn't also be present while you're there, just like a ground-based station.

12 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

I think cardinal direction limitations for a more rigid modular construction would be the least difficult to create in the game. Solar panels, strings of modules and power, etc. Think ISS but without modules with internal spaces. For ease of implementation, you could therefore reuse the ground station code with minor tweaks and new skins. 

16 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Does this add any more actual gameplay, or is it just more bells and whistles when compared to the usual trading station already in the game?

I think terrain and anomaly scanning, intra-surface-station resource transfers, and such are the big gains here, along with interstellar spacecraft construction allowing for deeper space travel, larger travel radius, larger fuel and resource storage capabilities, possibly also including weapons and shields (assuming space-based threats ever get included). 

Just my initial take on it. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

I believe they have actually mentioned this in a few streams... Or maybe just one. Not sure- BUT! It has been mentioned before and the dev at the time did say it would be a cool idea. So how about we go a little more into detail on what you mean by a space station.

Is it just some giant satellite-looking thing with a simple menu that pops up?

Do you land on it?

Do you connect to it?

Are there others there?

Thanks for these questions, they are really useful! I'll answer them in order: They have trading ports (but you need to craft them),  yeah it will be so cool to be a little space-town, i imagine it like the one in the pic. but with the circles that keep moving, you can only acces to it by landing, its allways accesible but only if its in range with the ship (like the planets), you can move in it for going from a place to another (the space station it's big, so i imagine that you can craft some transport vehicles in it but more smoller than a rover), for now its accesible only to players but maybe in the future some "aliense" can come there for trading stuff! The space station will take form by adding other places with a specific role (like landing site, frabtication room etc.) so the player can give to it the estetic that he wants. I think that this will add some more gameplay to the game, it's not a thing comparable to the actual one already in the game. (Sorry if my english is not perfect, I'm italian :) )

fuse_soviet_space_station_by_meckanicalmind-d67k8op.jpg

Some new questions on the station with some added focus on what has been brought up. As far as actual look and aesthetic goes, that is up to change and work with the growing ideas. Gameplay is most important first, then aesthetics.

• Unlock tech. How? If possible, a new way of conducting research could be used, rather than the usual way. Repetition is nice, but seeing as how this is a different type of thing, a new way that is fresh and unique to the station would help.
  • Bank system? Store large amount of loot? Is it for traveling further as a kind of stockpile? Does this take away from other mechanics where one needs to go and collect resources? What would a limit be? What's the balance? Since stockpiling resources can be a major advantage, would it make later game too easy?
  • Modular station. Do you build the station at first, then launch it into space? Is the station already there? Is it broken and in need of repairs? Is it already fully functional? Is it broken/launched as a base, but you slowly add pieces to it?
  • Further travel. How far could it travel if it is what travels? A few planets, or another solar system? Is it the only way to 'escape' a system? How is it powered? Can it be damaged? Since most things that are made but can never be destroyed in a survival game tend to make the ability to make more near-pointless, does it last forever? Or does it have one use and break on a trip/use? Or does it have a recharge time? Do you choose the new system, if you travel to a new system?
  • NPC types start appearing to add resources and stock it? Does it start off small and grow? Already large? Is there a mechanic of making sure it is well supplied? How do the NPC's react? Or is it only an isolated station for yourself/other players you are with? Any quirky characters. or unique NPCs? That kind of, "Oh! Look! It's that rare NPC!"

9 hours ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Some new questions on the station with some added focus on what has been brought up. As far as actual look and aesthetic goes, that is up to change and work with the growing ideas. Gameplay is most important first, then aesthetics.

• Unlock tech. How? If possible, a new way of conducting research could be used, rather than the usual way. Repetition is nice, but seeing as how this is a different type of thing, a new way that is fresh and unique to the station would help.
  • Bank system? Store large amount of loot? Is it for traveling further as a kind of stockpile? Does this take away from other mechanics where one needs to go and collect resources? What would a limit be? What's the balance? Since stockpiling resources can be a major advantage, would it make later game too easy?
  • Modular station. Do you build the station at first, then launch it into space? Is the station already there? Is it broken and in need of repairs? Is it already fully functional? Is it broken/launched as a base, but you slowly add pieces to it?
  • Further travel. How far could it travel if it is what travels? A few planets, or another solar system? Is it the only way to 'escape' a system? How is it powered? Can it be damaged? Since most things that are made but can never be destroyed in a survival game tend to make the ability to make more near-pointless, does it last forever? Or does it have one use and break on a trip/use? Or does it have a recharge time? Do you choose the new system, if you travel to a new system?
  • NPC types start appearing to add resources and stock it? Does it start off small and grow? Already large? Is there a mechanic of making sure it is well supplied? How do the NPC's react? Or is it only an isolated station for yourself/other players you are with? Any quirky characters. or unique NPCs? That kind of, "Oh! Look! It's that rare NPC!"

The space station is in space...so i was imagine that for unlocking new tecnology you have to explore the space where you can find maybe destroyed ships or other thing where you can find new things to research.

The bank system is just where you can storage a big amount of materials, nothing else for now.

The space station is in the orbit of a planet that you choose when you start building it (so you have to build it from 0) and can't move. So once you started building it, you can't move it anymore.

It's powered by big solar panels (like the one on the space station that we really have in the orbit of earth) and the power is storaged in big batteries (those are thing that you need to craft at the beginning for the SP).

NPCs will come once the space station have multiples landing pads (that you have to build), they can't interact with the space station but only with the player, for trading and maybe give some missions (like "go on arid and take my technology that i've lost there) once the mission is completed the npc wil give to you some materials that are common or rare (it depends by the mission, if it's hard or easy to do). 

The NPCs kind is randomly generated so there aren't more rare or not, they just have different forms.

18 hours ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Modular station. Do you build the station at first, then launch it into space? Is the station already there? Is it broken and in need of repairs? Is it already fully functional? Is it broken/launched as a base, but you slowly add pieces to it?

In keeping with the existing mechanics, I think this should be just like establishing a new base on the ground: Fly up to orbit with a hab on your vessel. Jump out of the vessel (wearing an EVA), Pull the hab off and place it in orbit. Interact with the hab like you would normally, except base extensions are locked at 90-degree angles to facilitate a grid-like station configuration. Then you either fly back to the surface to produce more components, or you build them in space if you have what you need at your disposal. Eventually, the base will be self sufficient except for the raw resources needed for further expansion. This is where those surface-to-orbit resource transfers would come in, to make interstellar ship construction easier at scale. It avoids this: "I need 40 resin for this new part... okay... better make 5 round trips to the surface..." Instead, you could just be on the surface sending payloads up into orbit. Might be fun to require spacewalks to pull those payloads into the station. 

8 hours ago, LANZi said:

Unlock tech. How? If possible, a new way of conducting research could be used, rather than the usual way. Repetition is nice, but seeing as how this is a different type of thing, a new way that is fresh and unique to the station would help.

Maybe? Multiple different systems for the same activity within the same game could get a bit disjointed. I'd think that, for consistency and avoiding confusion, it would be better if the researching system is kept similar. 

8 hours ago, LANZi said:

Further travel. How far could it travel if it is what travels? A few planets, or another solar system? Is it the only way to 'escape' a system? How is it powered? Can it be damaged? Since most things that are made but can never be destroyed in a survival game tend to make the ability to make more near-pointless, does it last forever? Or does it have one use and break on a trip/use? Or does it have a recharge time? Do you choose the new system, if you travel to a new system?

I think the station is stationary in orbit. One of its uses is the construction of large, interstellar spacecraft that cannot, themselves, land on planets. I think stations are powered either via generators of some kind, but more likely by those huge solar panels we occasionally find on the planet. I imagine we could construct those in space using a printer. I would defer to the devs on what travel restrictions/systems they deem appropriate for any vessels we can construct from a space station. I'm ambivalent to those details, so long as it's a fun experience. 

Re: NPCs. I think it's too early to tell. Until we see what direction the dev team wants to go with regard to NPCs, I'll withhold my wants/desires and tailor them accordingly later.

Hello,

the game menue is an space station ... so ... why it couldn't be some sort of story element?
This station had an terrible accident and our little Astroneers now have to rebuild it. This would explain some of the wrecks on planets sureface.
There we now could find the missing techs, spreaded on all planets and moons of our little system, wich we can explore to rebuild the station.

When it is rebuild, it gives new exploration options wich we can pay with materials for example an even bigger spaceships to fly to nearby solarsystems.

Some sort of this is had as idea for this sweet game ^^

best regards

madda

Guys i think the developers are building the space station that i've requested, i was going around on youtube when i found this

the "thing" that they are building in this live looks like the space station that we were talking about!

That's something else. He was working on the space stations that would be crashed stations. He had to make it completely whole, before breaking it apart to make more pieces of station debris.