pickledmidget

content file locked

i have posted in steam forum with no answer at all. steam is trying to update my game but it says "content file locked" and will not update. and game will not run. i cleared my steam game cache, uninstalled and reinstalled game with no luck. it still says "content file locked" 

i have 3 hours into the game and steam will probably not refund my money which i dont want to do. i enjoy the game. but havent been able to play since last update

Todd

9 minutes ago, Zylo said:

Verify integrity of the game cache?

This would have been, or should have been, solved when uninstalling and reinstalling the game multiple times. I suppose it couldn't hurt to install, then verify, as Steam does get weird sometimes.

On Steam, Right Click the game in your library. Then click, "Properties" from the drop down menu. From there, select the "Local Files" tab, and finally, click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" option.

This will only work if you have the game already installed.

16 minutes ago, p1nkbr0 said:

This would have been, or should have been, solved when uninstalling and reinstalling the game multiple times. I suppose it couldn't hurt to install, then verify, as Steam does get weird sometimes.

Your right it should've been resolved, I've had steam do weird things though lol.

1 hour ago, pickledmidget said:

i have posted in steam forum with no answer at all. steam is trying to update my game but it says "content file locked" and will not update. and game will not run. i cleared my steam game cache, uninstalled and reinstalled game with no luck. it still says "content file locked" 

i have 3 hours into the game and steam will probably not refund my money which i dont want to do. i enjoy the game. but havent been able to play since last update

Todd

Replies were made to a post in steam about this.  The issue goes back to 2012 and it is a Windows 8 issue. It is not an astroneer issue, however.. maybe the devs can do something to help or at least give you better info to how to fix this.  You should post this under bugs.

I'd suggest you also include your system details and operating system info.

Edited by Martin

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/348292957934471548/?ctp=2

This thread might be of assistance. it seems you're not the only person with this problem and this is not the only game. An oddly un-isolated issue on Steam's end.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/348292957934471548/?ctp=4#c224446432329132933

This one post might be of particular interest.

Edited by p1nkbr0

heheheh... sorry it just occurred to me..

There is one reason why stuff says Content file locked..  it's because it's trying to update an open file.   ie the game is already running.   the patcher is trying to update files that are in memory.  It can't, so it responds..

Most of those links lead off the beaten path.  There's even a guy suggesting that resetting winsock fixed the problem for him. Another that because his hhd was out of space, changing to a new directory fixed it.  Otherwise, the issue is usually caused by something within your o/s.  It's very rarely within Steam or the game in question.  Which is why many are pointing towards reinstalling redists etc.  We already know there's problems with some of the redist files.  It also happens to most after a patch, ie after a major file change.  Again, if the game was running when you tried to patch.. it could cause this error msg, but restarting pc, then verify files, then repatching should fix it.  Problem there is no manual way to patch the game, nor to revert to a previous patch, in the case of a partial patching, which verify should undo.

Which would suggest uninstalling the game completely, reinstalling once all redists have been uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure they are complete and not corrupted.

Edited by Martin

33 minutes ago, Martin said:

heheheh... sorry it just occurred to me..

There is one reason why stuff says Content file locked..  it's because it's trying to update an open file.   ie the game is already running.   the patcher is trying to update files that are in memory.  It can't, so it responds..

Most of those links lead off the beaten path.  There's even a guy suggesting that resetting winsock fixed the problem for him. Another that because his hhd was out of space, changing to a new directory fixed it.  Otherwise, the issue is usually caused by something within your o/s.  It's very rarely within Steam or the game in question.  Which is why many are pointing towards reinstalling redists etc.  We already know there's problems with some of the redist files.  It also happens to most after a patch, ie after a major file change.  Again, if the game was running when you tried to patch.. it could cause this error msg, but restarting pc, then verify files, then repatching should fix it.  Problem there is no manual way to patch the game, nor to revert to a previous patch, in the case of a partial patching, which verify should undo.

Which would suggest uninstalling the game completely, reinstalling once all redists have been uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure they are complete and not corrupted.

I've never had this happen to me before, but your idea makes much more sense. But what program is using that file other than Steam if he's uninstalled or the computer has just restarted. (i.e. no running tasks in the background)

Usually firewalls or anti virus.   Depending alot on the software use, how it's setup etc.

Lets say, you switch on your pc, switch on tv/monitor, wait a few secs for steam to load, click on astroneer.. but there's a patch... so astroneer starts loading, starts patching, but your av is still checking those files.. bang, patcher can't update file, file is locked out. error msg, content is file locked. end patch.

Or.. you run astroneer.. patcher runs, tries to change a file that's in memory.. same error and issue.  Usually tho a patcher shuts down everything it needs to change first.  It could be a simple wait 15 seconds for you hdd to stop flashing.. which usually indicates av is no longer loaded.. or try temp disabling firewall and av, which I don't advise.  Both should allow effective use of the game and steam, so long as you allowed them to on installing. (there's usually a popup asking for permissions)

I personally don't use 3rd party firewalls or av.  Windows defender is sufficient.  If anyone wants to hack my pc, they're welcome to anything they find.  My passwords etc are written down on paper, not in the pc.

It gets confusing when dealing with redists, as they are for specific softwares built into the game system, they're needed to play the game, but as we've seen from the dozens of posts, they aren't installing correctly, this is mostly microsofts fault.. easier to blame them anyway.   But a simple uninstall reinstall usually fixes it, as it does with 99% of all issues.

Edited by Martin

Only time I've personally had this error msg is when I tried to update something manually, that was already running.   Just closed the concerned item and reran the update.

For example, last time was when I tried to install a newer version of studio64.

Edited by Martin

According to some posts I've been reading on this, autopatcher set to run only on running the game is better, but, mods etc can cause issues (not that there are any for astroneer) or any undeleted files after an uninstall, and a few other possibilities.  

Would be good if op can make a list of what's been tried and failed.  If anything works, drop a line saying what they did.  for future ref.

Myself, with issues like this that are unresolved after 24 hours.. I reinstall my o/s.. then steam, then the game.. and work it from there.  Much faster than troubleshooting.

Edited by Martin

My only issue with reinstalling os is i haven't changed or installed anything at all for a long time. And this just started when astroneer uodated last. So its nothing i have did that im aware of. And it is the only game steam can not update.  I have 2 hours on th he game. I guess I'll just put a refund request in through steam. See if i can get my money back.  Shame cause i enjoy the game.

That's your choice.  It is likely something that was missed in the 115 update.. something that's overwritten a change made in 111.

FIXED** for now at least.

so the only thing i did even though i uninstalled and reinstalled two times is delete the folder that was still in steam even after the uninstall. rebooted computer and then reinstalled game again and now its working and still has my save game info which i assume is in the cloud anyway.

so if anyone else has an issue, this worked for me.