CRASHED SPACESHIPS AND ENVIRONMENTAL STORYTELLING

Finding pages of journals in the crashed spaceships . Having cool stories or tips on surviving the worlds. In general I think having more environmental story telling would be so awesome!

Would love something like this. I'm usually not too friendly about games that make you read a lot to know stories from other characters, but in a game like this, where you feel so isolated, that can be a great idea. When I saw the first crashed spaceship I wondered if there was a story behind it. Maybe something involving time travel.

1 hour ago, nmlss777 said:

Would love something like this. I'm usually not too friendly about games that make you read a lot to know stories from other characters, but in a game like this, where you feel so isolated, that can be a great idea. When I saw the first crashed spaceship I wondered if there was a story behind it. Maybe something involving time travel.

Yeah . Just something optional. give the game more depth to unravel secrets 

I'd like to see this on the Astroneer bodies you find as well.

Something random like "I miss my dog." Would be funny but also the possibility for expanding the story or a particular mission.

That would be awesome indeed, we could have game tips in those pages, like adventure journals.

"Today i explored that cave under the (PlaceLandmarkNameHere) and found an old comm satellite , i wonder what happens if i try to power it on"

A fun easter egg would be a journal about the zebra ball as well, even if the ball don't make it to the final game.

I hate text walls.. i hope they tell the story in an alternative way.. like audio logs you can listen while driving back home or holo players black boxes that let you see what happens in the site (like the echo ( Evidence Correlation Holographic Overlay ) in the division, but with movement)

19 minutes ago, kioga said:

I hate text walls.. i hope they tell the story in an alternative way.. like audio logs you can listen while driving back home or holo players black boxes that let you see what happens in the site (like the echo ( Evidence Correlation Holographic Overlay ) in the division, but with movement)

Maybe something like Subnautica has? An archive for those logs so you can go back to them at a  later date?

12 hours ago, Mr. Badger said:

Maybe something like Subnautica has? An archive for those logs so you can go back to them at a  later date?

Audio logs would be really cool ! Different voices and situations with each story

On 3 January 2017 at 0:53 PM, kioga said:

I think that text walls are the only way to do it. :/

The Devs seem very dedicated to keeping the Astroneers as ambiguous as possible. Giving them voices may ruin that. 

Since everything in the game is procedurally generated, how do you propose to make notes make sense, or point somewhere if they may appear randomly?

Also, how much game value is there really, when after the 3rd gameplay session, you start running into the same notes over and over?

Unless the game itself is structured or has a campaign, these are the things you have to consider when adding any kind of narrative.

Also, the more narrative and description and explaining you add to a game, you take away options from players to create their own story - this is true especially for those who make videos doing this, as seen with Minecraft's huge video gameplay collection.

There's a way to know how the story can make sense even if you find the notes randomly. It's called page numbers. I'll try to explain it to you. If you find three notes and the first one has the number 2 in the bottom, the second has the number 1 and the third has the number 3, it means the first page is actually the second, the second is the firs and the last is the third.

On ‎3‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, mmaackss said:

Finding pages of journals in the crashed spaceships . Having cool stories or tips on surviving the worlds. In general I think having more environmental story telling would be so awesome!

This would be a great implementation however I do not believe this would be added as the developers want as little graphical user interface as possible...

Filling those notes with informations about the world, galaxy, about what is happening in their civilization, about new science discoveries etc. There could be hundreds of those notes, but in a single game you could find, let's say, two-three of them on every planet. This way, every game would give you more insights on whats going on in this universe. And every game would be unique, in this way.