ChooBoo

Auto Tether drop + Tether Limit visual cue + Auto Tether pick up

Hi There, Im loving the game so far and really enjoying the mechanics and systems in place. Upon playing for a bit a few things become apparant. And I though id Add my ideas to mix. if its been suggested before please just Ignore it. 

Auto Tethering - What I mean by this is a means of tether as you walk (and as much as supply allows) from a given point. For example walking 200m you'd have to place x amounts of tethers by hand. 1000m and it soon becomes tedious. So If the character could walk and a tether just automatically detach as he walks connecting to the last one in the line, Like a trail of bread crumbs. A simple warning would sound if out of theaters (or the need to build more). Also when tethering its always trial and error (in the current system) when walking from a base to get the maximum possible tehter length before a viable connection is impossible, You then have to retrace your steps a few feet to find the best possible outer edge of the link. Add in this done ad-nausium and it soon becomes a chore rather than a pleasure to use.

If there could be some sort of visual clue like the tether line going from green to amber to red or a bounding circle showing the extents of the link in a visual way that would be really handy and intuative. 

One final thing would perhaps be an auto pick up of thethers, im still in the early game and while finding the resouraces to build more tethers is never an issue 'tether management' of this nature would make it far more pleasant to use that it currently is. 

Many thanks again for an excellent game and looking forward to seeing it progress out of Alpha :-) 

Good Luck in 2017 

Sean

I have found that pressing 'T' again will drop the tether and load a new one to the mouse cursor, very handy.

As for the visual, the line on the tether will show a ghost connection while still in range.

As for auto dropping, them, maybe as a rover/truck module, but not for the backpack.

I initially found the pressing T again by accident, pressing multiples times yeilds more 'dropped' tethers. 

R.e the 'ghost' line its rather basic in that its a trial and error to get the tether to its farthest possible limit before the ghost line disappears. there is no visual clue as you are facing the way you are walking and can't see the distance to the one behind (unless walking backwards, which again is rather ponderous) just poof and gone. Then a frustrating dosey doe to re-establish the line again to place the tether. Do this a few hundred times and it gets old quick. 

concerning the auto drop feature, It would be a shame as the placing of tethers in this fashion is an early game mechanic i.e on foot gathering resources? Perhaps a switch on switch off option? 

Edited by ChooBoo

I actually wrote an Autohotkey script to auto place tethers while sprinting. It is great. Msg me if anyone wants the code. I also made a post about this.