BackSH00TER

Suggestion to Change Vehicle Controls

My suggestion is to change the way vehicles handle while driving. 

Currently when you look around the vehicle controls change based on the camera. This feels very strange and makes it difficult to move around. When I look to the right of the vehicle and I'm holding W, the vehicle now drags to the side and does a weird side sliding motion.

For me when I'm driving I like to move my camera around a lot to look around at things, however have my vehicle continue on its path while I'm holding W (forward). 

I think it would be better to have the controls locked to the vehicles orientation rather than the camera. For instance W will always drive the vehicle forward, S reverse, A left , D right. 

Or maybe just allow two different settings in the controls to allow the user to pick which driving method they prefer. 

I definitely agree that vehicles are currently unwieldy.  I believe what is happening is that steering is handled in the exact same way that steering is handled while moving your character.  This steering mechanism is fine while operating a small unit capable of pivoting freely.  The vehicles are large and operate on wheeled physics rather than the freedom of motion available to a player.  With the 'front' of the vehicle set to the facing of the camera rather than facing of the wheels steering is cumbersome and complex maneuvers become almost impossible.

Also, it is difficult to observe and enjoy the landscape when slight changes in the camera will radically alter your vehicle's control.

I agree with this... simple WASD and then ability to look independently... basically standard game driving controls would be far better

Yes, I find this very annoying also. I also find the vehicles jump around whenever they hit anything throwing the vehicle up in to the air

I agree.  It gets especially difficult when you take the rover into a tight space.  If you accidentally get the camera overhead and attempt to back up, you end up driving straight.  Easy way to lose a loyal vehicle!

On 12/17/2016 at 1:00 AM, BackSH00TER said:

For me when I'm driving I like to move my camera around a lot to look around at things, however have my vehicle continue on its path while I'm holding W (forward). 

I think it would be better to have the controls locked to the vehicles orientation rather than the camera. For instance W will always drive the vehicle forward, S reverse, A left , D right. 

Yup, came here to say this.

Here to chime in with my agreement as well. I'd prefer W move the vehicle forward in relation to the vehicle itself (ie, W moves in the direction of the front bumper, S the rear, A turns the wheels left, D turns the wheels right) - separate the controls from the camera angle please!