Mr. Badger

What do YOU call it?

What do YOU call the things you come across in Astroneer? 

I've come across most of the flora and seen the baby sarlaacs. I've even seen thos weird black things in caves that when you kill them they drop ORGANIC. But what do YOU call them?

a5lticfdmx3y.png

I call these "Fart Jars". They kinda look like amputated stomachs with indigestion.

maxresdefault.jpg

I call these "Dingle Berries". I've encountered them both hanging from the ceiling and planted to the ground. When you dig under them they make a weird noise and drop ORGANIC.

These are all I ca think of right now. 

Please feel free to add!

Note: These images were sourced from the internet. These images are not mine.

Edited by Mr. Badger

Heck, I've been calling them pumpkins and fishing lines.
Though I gotta say, that dingle berries reminds me barnacles a bit.

The devs call the first things "Pumpkins" but have expressed that they don't like that name and would like to come up with a better one.  I've been using 'Gas Bag' but I also don't like that.

Other names I use:  Spiker, Popper, Fisher (your second picture)... We should probably call the Sarlaccs something else for copyright reasons.  Shai-hulud is also taken.  Are there only five hazards?  I look forward to more.

In the meantime I'm gonna go take pictures of a bunch of stuff and start providing labels for this discussion.  Maybe there's a 'what to call things' section on the wiki.

Edited by CherubimCW

Do they really need to have names, other than what an individual player and his friends might call it? As a developer if you really want to 'give player choice' and 'spark their imaginations', start with not labeling things so much.

I call those little balls from them 'polyps', a friend calls them 'nuggets'.. or more riskee "Pull it's testicles out" then we laugh cuz we call them something different.

"Oh,  you and your friend are both wrong! They're called 'encrusts' on the official wiki!!!"

Edited by ent|ty

Just now, ent|ty said:

Do they really need to have names, other than what an individual player and his friends might call it?

Perhaps that's a good approach to playing alone and in small groups, but as a community we need to understand what elements each other are talking about or else communication breaks down.