Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Burt

Tech Trees for Buildings AND For Leveling

So for whatever reason... this game makes me want to be able to upgrade my buildings (make them bigger/cooler looking) kind of like Starcraft. And maybe have options on upgrades that allow you to build one thing or another based on your upgrade/tech decision.

I'd also love xp/tech tree so that we can "level up" our Astroneer. Things like last longer without oxygen. Burn less energy. Jump higher. Walk/Run faster. Scouting/Tracking. Etc

For some reason it wouldn't let me edit my original post. I'd like to add that this would also go toward having enemy alien stuff attacking your base and you defending by upgrading .. building walls, defense, cannons, etc :)

Morph one building to another is good idea.

Restricting tech branches is very bad idea.

You improve your character by installing new modules, like tank, battery, "filters" etc.

Tech branches can help to prevent useless inventions. ( e.g. Inventing a drill without a crane). It could be hidden, so from the players point of view, inventions are still like random.

27 minutes ago, Sad Brother said:

Morph one building to another is good idea.

Restricting tech branches is very bad idea.

You improve your character by installing new modules, like tank, battery, "filters" etc.

Hmm.. Restrictions and tech trees already exist it's just at level 1. You can't build certain items without constructing the correct building even if you've found the "recipe". I'm just suggesting upgrading buildings to gain access to new stuff and/or better versions of stuff but visually it would also look cooler. 

As for improving your character by installing modules.. I think this is fine in the beginning but eventually after playing a while it would be nice to have enough xp to level up and not have to use those things anymore as they take up extra bag space and aren't even that good.. Also, I don't see a "run faster" module or a "jump higher" module or a "do more damage" module (assuming we get to attack stuff eventually lol)

I'm against "select this or this tech" thing like in Starcraft. Player should be able to get all variations.

Wait for Jetpack module. Damage things was thrown away by developers.

you already can't build certain items without #1 finding it and #2 having the correct building to make it how is this different than #1 finding it #2 getting correct building #3 upgrading said building

literally only thing different is one extra level of upgrades/customization which adds stuff to do with your materials in game.. I'm not saying I want Starcraft in this game lol. It was just the first thing that popped in my head when I had the idea of upgrading buildings.

I didn't mean you would need Building A before you could build Building B. However, this really isn't any different than the current system of "can't build till you find the correct schematic and then build the correct building via collecting materials" 

All I'm saying is if I want to build a Deathstar I assume I need to upgrade some of my buildings and tech into it.

Should I explain again?

I do not want selection, when you choose one tech and would never get another. I've seen such crap in starcraft.