Omni-Light. Let there be light.

Arindel

This is something I made in my spare time. It's a new object to be crafted at Printer platform. I shall let the image speak for itself:

OmniLight.png

Excellent idea!  I'd like to add two suggestions to the discussion:

1.  That it be able to accept attachment of a standard 8-slot storage tray that can be filled with power crystal stacks, organic, coal or hydrazine (all fuel sources, as it is "Omni").  This would allow you to stock it with fuel for use away from the base.  Each fuel type would have a different duration of power, based on its rating.  This idea helps to promote resource gathering and exploration.

2.  That it have an on/off switch, to allow it to conserve power.

7 minutes ago, Diverscott said:

Excellent idea!  I'd like to add two suggestions to the discussion:

1.  That it be able to accept attachment of a standard 8-slot storage tray that can be filled with power crystal stacks, organic, coal or hydrazine (all fuel sources, as it is "Omni").  This would allow you to stock it with fuel for use away from the base.  Each fuel type would have a different duration of power, based on its rating.  This idea helps to promote resource gathering and exploration.

2.  That it have an on/off switch, to allow it to conserve power.

Good idea on point 2, definitely needed!

Not sure how a 8-slot storage would fit in it. The idea of that single slot is to put something to prolong its life like batteries or power cells/generators or even wind vane. It shouldn't serve as extra storage. A belt of slots around the base body would be a bit too OP as it can make Storage object almost obsolete.

Just now, Arindel said:

Good idea on point 2, definitely needed!

Not sure how a 8-slot storage would fit in it. The idea of that single slot is to put something to prolong its life like batteries or power cells/generators or even wind vane. It shouldn't serve as extra storage. A belt of slots around the base body would be a bit too OP as it can make Storage object almost obsolete.

Yeah - I was thinking something along the line of having the ability to drag out a single 2-slot power node extension, similar to how you can pull out a node from your habitat.  The node would cost a resin, as the other type does and could be used to hold a larger 2-slot battery.  If using a storage tray, it would be by placing the standard storage module, which is printed in the printer.  It can be added to the pulled-out standard 2-slot node to raise it to 8.  The rationale behind this would be for indoor (cavern, or base) use, where you want interior lighting, but don't want to have to keep putting fuel in the hopper all day long.  Solar recharging wouldn't work so well, in that application.  Also, having the ability to connect to a power source, I.E. vehicle or a base power node using the "hose" style of attachment would be cool.  

12 minutes ago, Diverscott said:

Yeah - I was thinking something along the line of having the ability to drag out a single 2-slot power node extension, similar to how you can pull out a node from your habitat.  The node would cost a resin, as the other type does and could be used to hold a larger 2-slot battery.  If using a storage tray, it would be by placing the standard storage module, which is printed in the printer.  It can be added to the pulled-out standard 2-slot node to raise it to 8.  The rationale behind this would be for indoor (cavern, or base) use, where you want interior lighting, but don't want to have to keep putting fuel in the hopper all day long.  Solar recharging wouldn't work so well, in that application.  Also, having the ability to connect to a power source, I.E. vehicle or a base power node using the "hose" style of attachment would be cool.  

That's a bit too much. It's not supposed to be able to create bases freely. The tethering ability should be enough if there's a base nearby or a vehicle. Besides, it's supposed to be movable anywhere like a Large solar panel.

24 minutes ago, Arindel said:

That's a bit too much. It's not supposed to be able to create bases freely. The tethering ability should be enough if there's a base nearby or a vehicle. Besides, it's supposed to be movable anywhere like a Large solar panel.

Sounds good.  I think I missed the "Tethering" functionality portion of your original post.  If it can draw power from a routed tether network, then everything would be just fine, as those sources would already be on the power grid, somehow.

Having the tether ability would be awesome, you could tether it to the surface to provide continual power when using in a cave.  Very useful.

Since tethering is not exactly explained in first post, I'll elaborate more on it:

How to explain this short and simple... well, here we go:

The integrated battery doesn't output to other objects. However, the integrated solar panel and the slot would transmit power to other objects if they're being powered up and battery is already full.

I hope that makes sense. The idea is that the omni-light shouldn't also serve as battery.