Nicholas Micchelli

Spaceship won't Launch after adding storage

I just added two storage modules to my spaceship.

After stocking it up and putting a one seat on it, the craft won't launch. The button appears, but it can not be pressed. No highlight appears when you hove on it.

I've tried removing all the items and switching the seat position. None of these worked.

The storage units can't be removed after adding them so I can't test if the spaceship will launch again with out them.

I've launched the game both with Steam and directly. And in both full screen and windowed modes. The problem will not correct itself.

SpaceshipSeat1.jpg

SpaceshipSeat2.jpg

OtherButtonWorking.jpg

Happened to me. I mashed a bunch of buttons and I launched but I was stuck orbiting the planet. So I have no way around it

6 hours ago, HellHasNoFear said:

I'm pretty sure you need the proper cockpit now to launch. 

Thanks for the heads up. I built a new SS and only put one storage unit on it.

It worked with the seat directly connected to the SS Platform. I've seen a few vids showing it with two storage units and still flying, but an update must have changed that.

I built a big shuttle with two large storages and the thing wont launch the icon to launch shows up but i cant click it ive tried to add a dropship printing seats on it and it wont launch with a seat connected to the storage

On 6/19/2018 at 7:36 PM, Alex Orth said:

I built a big shuttle with two large storages and the thing wont launch the icon to launch shows up but i cant click it ive tried to add a dropship printing seats on it and it wont launch with a seat connected to the storage

this 'exploit' was fixed several versions ago. it no longer works to attach 2 storages, and then attach a chair to the storage. that in itself was the 'bug' 

On 4/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, MadHatt597 said:

This topic is from almost 2 years ago now... but... try the enclosed seats.

Yes you need an enclosed seat. I guess they figured you can't exactly go to space without some enclosure since it's space lol

1 hour ago, Butchy250 said:

Yes you need an enclosed seat. I guess they figured you can't exactly go to space without some enclosure since it's space lol

but you ARE already in an enclosed space suit... unless we're gettin into the fact that wouldn't do much to protect against atmospheric forces during takeoff and landing

5 hours ago, 101101110111 said:

but you ARE already in an enclosed space suit... unless we're gettin into the fact that wouldn't do much to protect against atmospheric forces during takeoff and landing

That and metaphoric asteroids xD

58 minutes ago, Butchy250 said:

That and metaphoric asteroids xD

closed seat, open seat, you're dead if an asteroid hits the ship! might as well be no seat then

Wait...you can still add 2 lg storage to the lg shuttle and launch so long as you attach the enclosed seat? I certainly hope not! The whole point (I thought) of the “fix” (for the exploit) wasn’t just to eliminate use of improper seating (open seats, habs) but to ALSO eliminate use of too much storage. People were exceeding the intended cargo carrying capacity for the shuttles by using other seats. The small shuttle isn’t supposed to have a lg storage attached to it, and the lg shuttle is supposed to only have 1 lg storage attached, no more than that. An enclosed seat (either 1- or 3- seat) is required to launch either shuttle afaik. Printed seats can be removed though which is very nice. You can reuse it for either shuttle if you built a small one first you can detach it and use it again for the large one.

1 hour ago, Shadow Echo said:

Wait...you can still add 2 lg storage to the lg shuttle and launch so long as you attach the enclosed seat?

Yep. Still works. I was able to launch to and from planets with the enclosed seat attached to one of the storage modules

20180622181510_1.jpg

Thanks for clarifying. To the best of my knowledge, that’s not entirely what was supposed to happen, but I guess it’s possible the Devs didn’t completely fix it or maybe something happened (unlikely, but possible I guess) with 0.8 that broke the restriction on too many large storages idk. At least an enclosed seat is required now, that’s a step in the right direction. I’m pretty sure they intended the enclosed seat to be applied directly to the craft’s whatever you’d call it, chassis? Rocket base? I think you get the idea. I know it’s been discussed by players, somewhat heatedly lol, the main concern being (as you can see in your pic) it’s pretty insane how much extra cargo you can carry when two large storages are attached to the large shuttle versus the enclosed seat, one medium storage behind it, and then one large storage which presumably would carry 4 medium storages itself.

Personally I don’t generally need to carry more than that (using it the way I believe it was intended to be crafted and arranged). Now that I know I can, I’m sure it’d be a bit tempting, but then again there are many things in the game that make it easier if you give into temptation. There's always a price to pay though. One can choose to erase a mountain range or planet even, dupe lithium or titanium into oblivion, and craft tons of batteries or run a few million bytes thru the research modules. I choose not to play that way, largely because I’m not interested in role playing a dirt farmer lol. That’s not why I play Astroneer xD If others find that style of play enriching, fine by me. Eventually I won’t be ok with it especially after launch “IF” there is trade between players, because that’ll be broken af For now, people have to make a choice with regards to what works for them. I don’t see how making the game easier for yourself is fulfilling, but some seem to want to take the easy way, for whatever reason. 

I do use the Mineral Extractor but very sparingly, not in every game, and I limit myself to resin and compound (once or twice I have used it for Ammonium but generally I craft the Fuel Condenser instead). I don’t generally craft the Trade Platform. If I do, it’s very late game for the most part, and I’ll use it to offload some organics. I only trade for common resources or maybe precursor ore, not for rare materials (the exchange rate isn’t particularly helpful, though I have no problem with how it’s set up). Tbh (and it’s just my opinion) I think rare resources should be removed from the Mineral Extractor menu. I don’t think we should be allowed to use soil of all things to duplicate items such as titanium and lithium (coal, maybe, its not as useful but then again if it remained in the menu people might just turn around and trade it via the trade platform so yeah coal would probably have to be removed as well). 

The main reason I’ve been able to abide by a much more restrictive cargo build for the large shuttle-I recently started making a scouting flight to preview landing sites at the moon and the planets I would like to establish bases on (I skip Arid, can’t stand those tumblespikes, and often I skip Radiated as well nothing against it I just prefer Exotic and Tundra). For my “scouting” flight I take beacons, small fabricators, compound, resin, copper, aluminum, and few other materials with me. I leave behind a medium platform, a small and medium fabricator, a small wind turbine and small solar, and a beacon at each location where I’d like to set up a base. That way, I cut down on some of the things I need to carry with me on the second trip and I’ve already selected good sites to develop satellite bases (saves time and resources, while lowering mortality risk associated with searching). I also try to take a few terrain analyzers with me on the scouting trip so I can bring back some nice colors for my main Terran base.

yeah, i actually prefer the 'real' way too... a little more time consuming, but personal preference dictates i tend to just move bases to new scenery. maybe that'll change once there's servers and more persistent worlds that make it worth 'colonizing' planets (as opposed to just running around enjoying the sights). ever since they put the alignment mod and worklights in, my brain's just been lit up with ideas to try once 1) other people will see it and 2) the build is long-term. once those are both possible, i'll probably be "one of those people" who double-storages shuttles and makes liberal use of the extractor/trader, because the builds i wanna do will cut down on time available for finding+shuttling resources around multiple bases

Thank you guys for sharing your playstyles, I always like to hear how other people play the game. It's super interesting!

I personally like to play the "legit" way, as do you guys, and the main reason I use the little "exploit" is to bring back as many research pods as I can. I find that collecting a bunch of bytes is pretty satisfying, especially if it allows me to research everything in the game. I'm not much of a completionist, but this is relatively simple to do and I enjoy it.

I agree that Arid is a big pain, but I've recently come to like Radiated. It's my go-to for obtaining copper and aluminum, and in my most recent save, I saw an outcrop of astronium on the surface! I think because it's a smaller planet, everything is a bit more condensed and easy to find. Plus, all you have to worry about is storms!

As for multiple bases on different planets, I think it's a cool idea but I've only really been able to do it once, and that was back when the building wasn't all that easy. I suppose now that building is easier, multiple bases should be easier as well, but I don't necessarily see a point for it 

I didn't even know it was an exploit, when I first tried to leave the planet I was reading a post that said the open seat no longer worked, it had to be closed.

So I put 2 large storage on the large shuttle and just thought that is how it was meant to be. In reality you could go empty handed and cut your way in so no big loss. Besides with the price of fuel extra trips is just more fly time