StuartF

Power Efficiency (big vs. small modules)

I've been playing the game for about... 35+ hours, and am now thinking of ways to optimize power delivery to either my base, or the vehicles that are being made. Originally when I started the game, I'd go straight for say, the big wind turbine and the big solar panels. But now looking at the  ASTRONEER WIKI - Power

• Small Solar Panel = 8 sec/bar
    • 1 Slot
  • Big Solar Panel = 2 sec/bar
    • 2 Slot
  • Small Wind Vane = 8 sec/bar
    • 1 Slot
  • Big Wind Vane (Turbine) = 4 sec/bar
    • 2 Slot

Now... On a rover for example, you have four mounting slots, you can do a couple different power configurations, but for simplicity I'm going to note two here:

• Rover - 4 medium slots
    • Two used for seat, two for Big Solar Panel
      • 2 sec/bar
  • Rover - 4 medium slots
    • Two for seat, two for storage panel
      • Storage panel has 8 slots, 4 for small solar panel, 4 for small wind vane (or 8 of one, etc)
        • 4 Small Solar Panel = 8 sec/bar / 4 = 2 sec/bar
        • 4 Small Wind Vanes = 8 sec/bar / 4 = 2 sec/bar
          • Average = 1 sec/bar

Resource wise... It would be more expensive to build the smaller power sources as opposed to the bigger power sources, but the thought is that, you can spend more to make more energy in a smaller space.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist... So am I wrong to assume it's BETTER to populate 2 medium slots with a storage panel, and populate it entirely with smaller power modules? Or use a single bigger module? I'm talking about power efficiency, and not cost/resource efficiency.

If I did a dumb in the math department, please feel free to correct me.

With the small ones only half will be in the sunlight or wind at any given time. Unless you have the perfect angle, which means you're probably not driving. 

OK, I forgot to take that into account. For the solar, it would be even for the vehicle, but just more expensive to build. Wind on the other hand...

You could stack 8 wind vanes, and from what I can see in the game, regardless of which side of the storage they are, they turn. So you could effectively get... 8 sec/bar / 8 = 1 sec/bar. Now I know wind is sporadic and it's not consistent, but the setup would beat the wind turbine at 4 sec/bar. But the same inconsistency for the wind can be applied to the wind turbine as well. The wind turbine can only produce... 4 sec/bar.

The only way you could use the small solar panels effectively (x8) would be if you placed them on a storage, next to a module of sorts (research, etc), where it lays flat. TECHNICALLY it should out power a single larger solar panel.

For the wind vanes, even if you only populate one side of a storage module, you're still getting... 2 sec/bar.

This is all theoretical though, and just a random thought that I had. Maybe I'll do some videos and do some official testing. Get some numbers.

So really there is no reason to actually build a big wind turbine at all, in any scenario. Granted this uses 4x more resources but, the difference is you get twice the power. I'll have to do further testing to see whether the wind only affects possibly part of the wind vanes/turbines, and also how much wind affects it. But that brings into the discussion other questions...

Do solar panels work by DIRECT light? Because if you stack small solar panels on a storage module, some of them are blocking the others, but they act as if they are at full power. Same for the wind. Shouldn't having a wind vane in-front of another wind vane block said vane from picking up the wind?

Also, are there different intensities for the wind which affect the power output for the vanes or is it consistent? Because I have seen then go slow, and then bat sh*t insane.

1 minute ago, Martin said:

Crazy people..

Why? is it really that important to get your energy 1 second faster?

It's a proof of concept more than anything. It's highly unrealistic but it does work. I did try driving it around and as fun as it was to have that much energy, it took up a lot of unnecessary space. That being said, if you have a couple rovers/trucks/buildings, and you use a lot of power and/or have a lot of batteries, it could come in useful.

The power being obtained for a single unit 1 second faster seems a bit extreme, but it could make or break your expedition (in a worst case scenario). Compounded, the more bars you need to fill up, the more time you save.

But yes, crazy is an understatement!

This stuff always gets interesting when people break down mechanics and go for the best:

Something to consider is the different planets. In one of my games, I landed on the radiated planet. Where I set up shop only gets sunlight briefly because of the angle of the sun and the surrounding terrain, so this sort of thing would be incredibly useful for a solar farm.

More videos because I love videos. One demonstration usage of the smaller solar panels, and how they align to the sun. I've orientated them in such a way that there is full coverage majority of the time (for about 135 degrees of the arc).

Small solar panel alignment on truck w/ large storage

The other video here shows how much power it actually generates. It produces enough power that the power both in my backpack/battery, and the truck, doesn't even deplete. So it's proven to be sustainable.

Insane power generation from small power modules.

I may start making videos about buildings as well to show off the power system in finer detail, but I'm hoping to work on seeing if I can catch different wind and solar conditions, and how they actually affect the power generation rate. Would be interesting to see whether there is anything else there. If there isn't... Would be a good idea to add into the game, since wind and solar are NEVER consistent (minus orientation and what have you).

I use the big wind generator exclusively to power my rovers, and truck trains. They are consistent enough while driving to keep it all relatively charged, and work underground as well. I manage the energy by observing when the windmill starts, park the convoy and do my mining. I supplement any shortcomings in power by parking in the wind for a bit, or pumping power modules into it.

Solar power is only good for daytime and above ground access, unless you carry a battery with you and supplement.

Bang for buck, windmill. Of course, there appears to be no wind on the moon, so solar it has to be, or use long, long tether lines to power up from the moon base with solar panels and array of buffer batteries.

17 hours ago, HellHasNoFear said:

With the small ones only half will be in the sunlight or wind at any given time. Unless you have the perfect angle, which means you're probably not driving. 

If they're connected to a station they'd all get power.

I think the point is less about the increased power generation overall but that it happens within the space of 2 slots on any vehicle and can easily be moved in 1 motion while providing power from both wind and solar in case either is available. I use the 2 slots this frees up to bring a big battery so i have some stored power when setting up a new colony and power generation slows down.

5 minutes ago, EstebanLB01 said:

Reviving the thread, how are the calculation now on the Crafting Update?

There's a page on the wiki here that deals with power rates. We've been told that the currently under-powered wrecked solar will be getting juiced up again soon too. 

On 9/28/2018 at 12:39 AM, EstebanLB01 said:

Reviving the thread, how are the calculation now on the Crafting Update?

The Wiki still says that the Small Wind Turbine produces half as much as the big one, that makes no sense, there is no motivation to use the big one in this case