It would be cool to have npc aliens in the game. They could have built their own little colonies and have their own abilities to do stuff. What if there were traces of them to so you go to a planet with no life on it, and when you get there you find pyramids or something, so you know life used to be there. Maybe you could trade with them too. Like a trade platform but right there. What if you could pay them to work for you too, that could be cool. Like you pay them some aluminum or something and they mine some compound for you. 

When you talk about trading NPCs I immediately think of Minecraft villagers and this would be a great starting point and maybe a chance to take out the trading station because of its overpowered-ness.

Aliens are a great idea, we have been thinking the same thing.  Even if they do little or nothing beside maybe stealing your stuff or giving you stuff it would be a great addition.  Maybe 1 in 50 times you see one they do something good or bad, but not too invasive. 

Possibly the aliens share the technology they have with you.

I'm imagining aliens approaching your base and trying to barter with you by having an awkward conversation consisting of pointing at things