Petrataur

Can we talk about hunger?

On 29/12/2016 at 4:06 PM, Nano said:

I think it still has a place in the game if it is done like Subnautica.  That game has multiple play styles where you can be in creative (no food or drink, all blueprints acquired - AI ignores you), Freedom mode (need oxygen, no food or drink, need to collect blue prints) and survival mode (need food, drink, O2, blueprints).  Currently we are playing freedom mode in Astroneer.  That way if people want a greater challenge they can.  

I personally usually play freedom mode in subnautica because i dont want to have to worry about eating all the time, but it is good to try every now and again and those 'hardcore' people can play it how they like.   

This would be awesome.

I would not use it. I am too softcore for that, but it would certainly be cool for people who wants to step up the difficulty accordingly to their wishes :)

What about...
O2, ENERGY and MOOD (instead of hunger/thirst/others). 

MOOD:
positive factors: good weather, sunlight, food, discoveries, building, exploring, AI interaction, etc.
negative factors: bad weather (storm, rain), darkness, hunger, etc.

Factors would be additive, so you could either keep exploring and building or just stay at your base and make a farm.

gameplay impact: color saturation (look below), movement speed, o2 usage, energy managment

minus.jpg

plus.jpg

On 1/3/2017 at 7:48 PM, John Tull said:

...have they not heard of re-breathers in this future?

Perhaps you've never used the filters in the game.

I've read through almost all of the comments and think there are plenty of valid points. That being said IMHO I enjoy the casual gameplay (XBone) and believe if they want to implement some other realistic scenarios there are plenty of ways to do it. I'm thinking about the storms person sized rocks! How about a percentage chance during a storm that one of your tethers breaks? How freaky would that be. Down in a cave exploring and your tether goes black. I don't see the point in comparing this unfinished game with other completed games. We don't know where they might take this game, but I believe that giving suggestions are the best way to contribute. Hunger could be done well as could plant matter become different chemical compounds for better fuel or some such. Lots of options and I'm excited to see where they take the game. 

3 hours ago, 00Saaben said:

How about a percentage chance during a storm that one of your tethers breaks? How freaky would that be. Down in a cave exploring and your tether goes black.

Neat! If you have an above-ground tether network that you plan on keeping around for a while, you may want to consider burying it like an underground phone line. I like this idea.

The reason why I can't get in to Ark is because it's too hard for a noob. if you're playing for long I can imagine having more changele, but I think you also can add this with more to explore.

Hunger.

I'm torn.

I see pros and cons for it. Guess it depends if they do it, and how they do it. But if its hunger like in The Long Dark, please no ;) 

3 hours ago, SuperVK said:

The reason why I can't get in to Ark is because it's too hard for a noob. if you're playing for long I can imagine having more changele, but I think you also can add this with more to explore.

Really? For me it was about not being a great fan of having dinosaur pets and riding them around... the final straw was when players started riding on the shoulders of Sasquatch-like creatures. No thanks, lol.

Considering the habitat can create oxygen out of nothing and you can turn electricity directly into fuel, I don't think hunger would be a good idea; it adds something too real to the imaginary dreamworlds in the game. Like everyone else is saying, an option to turn it on might be a good idea, but not forced. Or we could just assume the hab is giving us sustenance directly through the air or something.

Personally I'd like to see rendering improvements and more basic needs (building remover tool) before stupid stuff like hunger.

55 minutes ago, ent|ty said:

Really? For me it was about not being a great fan of having dinosaur pets and riding them around... the final straw was when players started riding on the shoulders of Sasquatch-like creatures. No thanks, lol.

Heh, you described exactly why I passed on that game.

A toggleable set of options to increase or decrease the difficulty of the game seems suitable. But it'll be hard to play with friends as an immortal astroneer while your buddy has to go eat some toothspaced to stay alive.

See what I did there? space. toothpaste. toothspaced.

I would think an 'option' to set ... would be for the 'game loaded', not per player. So if someone joined your game set to hard, they would be under those same rules. Since this is a co-op kind of game, I don't think it would be too much of an issue... since you are all friends.

2 minutes ago, Winjavinchi said:

See what I did there? space. toothpaste. toothspaced.

O.o

lol

5 hours ago, Winjavinchi said:

How do I join people's games in the first place? I'm about 3 hours into the game

How do you play? xbox or from steam?

In steam, you and your friend(s) who have ASTRONEER can play in each others game. When one begins a game, you can 'join' their game. And vice versa.

In xbox, its similar, join a friend using the friends thing in xbox... and some other way (same house), of which I don't know.

I play a game called Empyrion Galactic survival, and hunger/water is such a pain in the butt. The hunger bar takes away from the fun of the game. You are into mining or building something and you die because you forgot to eat. If hungar/water is in Astroneer I would rather it be an option like maybe a hardcore difficulty.

Agree, OP. If they choose to put in the option to toggle, Im ok with that as well. But for now, the game is fine without hunger.

If they did manage to squeeze in hunger as a option. I dont think it would take much to switch over a resource that could be used for food and material, like the flora, for instance.

Being able to refine it in the smelter to eat......this way, if they do decide to add "hunger", there already the resources to do it, without taking a lot of time focusing on the mechanic itself.

Otherwise, Im fine without hunger for Astroneer.....

Hunger mechanics suck. If the devs really want to add it, please make it toggleable during world-generation; I don't want to frustrate myself in a game where I just want to explore planets on.

I do not see the point in having hunger in the game when it works similar to oxygen. To have another resource that kills you when you run out of it is just redundant. It does not make the game more fun to play but only takes away from your attention that you could pay to other aspects of the game instead.

On the other hand, I can see some fun uses for food in the game. Food could be a resource that is not required for survival but helps with survival by giving benefits. For example, it could improve your health, i.e. with food you endure more damage from hazards and/or survive higher falls. That way, you could increase your chances of survival when exploring hostile environments/biomes by bringing food with you. In the latest Live Dev stream, Adam Bromell mentioned that he would like to make caves more dangerous the deeper you go; increasing your health with food could be a way to allow you to explore such deeper levels.

Food could be a resource that you can not find but only produce, thus allowing a farming game mechanic. And before having such a farming mechanic, food could be produced with a researchable device that works like a generator* which uses one or more other resources (maybe organics, and power or coal).

Just like other resources, a food resource could be represented as a collection of resource bits ("nugget"). Each time your health is decreased by taking damage, a number of food bits from such a nugget is consumed to restore full health. If such restoration happens only when the damage of a hit did not bring your health down to zero, then it is still possible to have "one hit deaths" in the game. (However, this method would not work for allowing higher falls.)

---
* Suggestions for a possible name of a food generator: food processor, food replicator, (portable) kitchen, cooker, stove

Edited by Marck

21 minutes ago, Marck said:

I do not see the point in having hunger in the game when it works similar to oxygen. To have another resource that kills you when you run out of it is just redundant. It does not make the game more fun to play but only takes away from your attention that you could pay to other aspects of the game instead.

Have you played other games, like, The Long Dark, Subnautica, Empyrion, ARK, or the like? I understand why there is a request for hunger and thirst. Playing other games that do it well, you tend to think its going to happen in other survival-like games. Whether it needs too or not is the debate though.

I was never a fan of 'buffs' in the form of consumables in all those mmo-like games, and would be displeased to see such added to this game. Even though I had always played those others without eating buff foods all the time, there were points where it became required, and it ticked me off to no end. Its a cheesy mechanic to make up for pitfalls in bad game design. Then becomes a balancing act, and endless mess of buffs and debuffs and pretty much all the game focus turns towards it all.

I do like the idea of farms, and managing, growing, producing foods and water. I however lean towards its a necessity to live, than rather buffs.

It seems this game is more about exploring and building. From the earliest days of The Long Dark you had predators to worry about and hunger and cold. In Minecraft you had to worry about your Meat pop level and predators and if you went under water then your oxygen. 

Just seems like from the beginning if the developers want it to be a survival game they make it that way. So my paltry vote would go to no hunger mechanic

Personally, no matter what side people stand on this issue, I am a big believer in giving the player some benefit, but taking some cost in return.

Oxygen is already the 'food' of the game and energy the 'workhorse' of the game.

Make the player decide between using oxygen for 'food', or having to do something else with the oxygen.

Also, the backpack should have some minimum power to maintain as well to keep it running. Make the player decide between using energy to keep the backpack's survival mechanisms going, or digging that hole down to precious metals that will allow him to build a base to start with.

This is how we also extend gameplay, and rein back the advancement a bit, and have an interesting survival twist to boot, and without resorting to the tedium of hunger and thirst bars.

2 hours ago, Frigidman said:

Have you played other games, like, The Long Dark, Subnautica, Empyrion, ARK, or the like? I understand why there is a request for hunger and thirst.

No, I haven't played any of those games, and I must admit that I do not know much about any of them. (Survival as the main objective does not attract me in games.) In what way does hunger add to the fun in games that do use it well? And do you think that hunger could add to the fun of Astroneer, given the fact that it already uses oxygen?

2 hours ago, Frigidman said:

I was never a fan of 'buffs' in the form of consumables in all those mmo-like games, and would be displeased to see such added to this game. [...] Its a cheesy mechanic to make up for pitfalls in bad game design. [...]

I do like the idea of farms, and managing, growing, producing foods and water. I however lean towards its a necessity to live, than rather buffs.

So you would prefer to have hunger as an incentive for the player to do farming, if I understand you correctly? That way you are forcing players to do farming, because it has become a necessity to survive. i.e. to continue with the game. With my suggestion of using food as a "buff", the player has the option to not do any farming at all, if s/he doesn't want to for whatever reason. The game might become harder because of it, but this may be exactly what the player wants. You get a choice of difficulty built into the game mechanics themselves, instead of having one play style fixed for all (and maybe adding the choice as an option in some menu instead, for example).

Edited by Marck

So, we use oxygen as a "food" equivalent. I like it, as it is. Hunger is redundant.

1. If O2 wasn't unlimited you'd have to make organic farms (o2 production and collection), build a chemlab producing it (water electrolysis - either from collected ice or pipes connected to river/sea) or construct a condenser (if specific planet's atmosphere contains oxygen). For me - sounds like fun. But this game is casual, so..
  2. To keep it as it is, we should make sure that player won't die because of lack of oxygen - base and vehicles with basic o2 supply. So, yeah ulimited oxygen - you could say - nothing has changed. But..
  3. If we could make another use of O2, then things mentioned in point 1. would become profitable. You could build o2 tanks to keep it's excess and then use it to:
  • burn fuel (shuttles/thrusters/maybe fuel-powered generators)
  • explore oceans
  • produce metal alloys
  • make explosives (mining)
Edited by gp.

1 hour ago, Marck said:

No, I haven't played any of those games, and I must admit that I do not know much about any of them. (Survival as the main objective does not attract me in games.) In what way does hunger add to the fun in games that do use it well? And do you think that hunger could add to the fun of Astroneer, given the fact that it already uses oxygen?

So you would prefer to have hunger as an incentive for the player to do farming, if I understand you correctly? That way you are forcing players to do farming, because it has become a necessity to survive. i.e. to continue with the game. With my suggestion of using food as a "buff", the player has the option to not do any farming at all, if s/he doesn't want to for whatever reason. The game might become harder because of it, but this may be exactly what the player wants. You get a choice of difficulty built into the game mechanics themselves, instead of having one play style fixed for all (and maybe adding the choice as an option in some menu instead, for example).

Pretty much.

I could take or leave hunger in this game though. I see ASTRONEERS as more of casual exploration and intrigue, some building, and just overall tomfoolery at the end of the day. I would not be super enthusiastic if it became an hourly chore to just stay alive.

One thing I mentioned before when I 'first begin' a game... is you can just stand there, admiring the clean view, and take a breath so to speak. There is no OMG OMG OMG rush to survive, and panic. You can just stand there... an enjoy the game.

Adding hunger (and thirst seems to come with that)... would make the game already start out in a panic. Which, would detract from what the devs seem to be going with it.