Sign in to follow this  
ThunderBen

Ideas to improve beacons

Beacons are handy, that's for sure. But they  suffer painfull limitations so far, so here ideas which could - I hope - improve them.

1) not enough colors

so far there is 5 colors (Blue, green, orange, Violet, Red, yellow, Black). Plus 3 ohter in different hue (dark blue, dark Violet and dark green). That not enough and difference between hue are not always distinct.

So, why not add more colors, like: brown, grey, white (not sure for this one), pink, transparent, etc.

2) contrast/transparency with backgroung

When you look at beacon from a distance, thus they are located in the sky, it(s difficult to identify which (especially for Black). Difference between a beacon color and the background should be clear from any point of view.

3) Tag height

Am I the only one to notice that triangled tags (home, rocket) height is less that the rounded ones (all beacons) ? Thus they are seen from a lesser distance.

4) Text tags

What I'm really dream of is.... Being able to add text to beacon ! Not necessarily a huge paragraph, 10 to 20 characters should be enough. Theses characer should be upper case, lower case, and symbols .;/:!§?,*-/+#"'()=[]@~&{}{`<>%£€°

Other players, What's your opinion ?

On 10/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, SaHaLiNN said:

Text will be good

Becouse i am deuteranomal (colorblind type)

Changes to beacons would be very, very welcome.  The game doesn't use much text, aside from tool tips, but there's a plethora of icons that I think would be pretty handy.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:59 AM, SES_Gina said:

Changes to beacons would be very, very welcome.  The game doesn't use much text, aside from tool tips, but there's a plethora of icons that I think would be pretty handy.

How about adding new module that acts like a GPS/radar to beacons? Make it something like the probe scanner, but instead of giving off pings, make it similar to pressing TAB (opening research panel) then showing a grid with dots (representing beacons)... Just like a "dragon ball" radar (from the animé)...

Cool idea, @shortermemory!  The Dragon Ball-esque system seems interesting, how do you suppose that would work on 3D planets?  Would there be any distinction between a beacon that's near the core versus one that's on the surface, or on top a mountain?

Good question re. 3D..

I can only think of having big dots for those that are near the users' level and smaller dots on those that are above or below. And maybe not showing those that are way below/above.

As for those near the core (and even on the "Unknown Satellite", i think it's ok to show statics to simulate that it can't orient itself to the gravity).

Actually, a much simpler way would be to not show those that are way above/below since the beacon has that balloon-like thingy already..

Well Tho I was thinking about it and yea They are pretty much useless for me besides it's basically bread crumb so I can go back to home from long travel. I think if u can chance the icon for the material pictures Like for graphite  so I can mark down some ore veins or some machines.The biggest annoying part about it for me about beacons was changing the color if u add materials pls add a way to change beacon marker using a sample.. or even better u can change the marker to machine pictures by sticking on to a machine like furnace so it's icon will set to that machine and maybe we should dupe the beacon icons using other beacons etc.

I just mentioned this in another beacon post. Add symbols to the beacons.

Have symbols for directions, like an arrow, when you place one as a guidepost. Have a symbol to indicate marked resources. Have a symbol to indicate marked scrap. Have a symbol to indicate a dangerous area, like huge holes in the ground (for this one, bringing back the flashing red color would be nice as well). And so forth.

Another thing I would like to see is *larger* beacon icons, or another representation of them? Beacon icons are often blocked by clouds and this is *highly* annoying. With the introduction of the spotlight though, another idea presents itself: spotlight beacons. Have a beacon give off a 'batsignal' type light projection that wouldn't be blocked by clouds, but rather made more visible by them. It could also have an upward pointing light column from said beacon that would be visible from the ground, similar to the light columns from the alien teleporters.

This might seem like a lot of tech to have in a small item, so I wouldn't object to it being an advanced piece of tech added to the game that took a few more resources. So there would be a base beacon that just sent up a marker point with icon and color options, and an advanced beacon with that and light shafts projecting into the air to be even more visible.