Maaaatie

Improve Canisters

The introduction of the storage Canisters was a great advancement. However, I still think that the idea can be improved upon.

Under the current system, Output is either Enabled or Disabled and while this is perfectly fine in some situation, it is far less than perfect in other situations. The system is fine while gathering resources and when completely offloading resources. But the problem occurs when just one or two resources are required because the only way to get the resources out of the Canisters is to Enable Output which will see the Canister distributing its contents to every available slot in the platform on which it sits until either all available slots are filled, the Canister is empty or the mode is switched back to Disable Output. Then, if Disable Output is the preferred method of stopping the distribution, the Canister will commence sucking the resources back in again. The only way currently to work around this is to take the Canister off any platforms.

I also note that even when in the Enable Output mode, resources can still be placed into the Canisters either manually by the Astroneer or automatically by use of the Auto Arms.

Recommendation - What I would like to recommend is that Enable and Disable Output be changed to:

Automatic Output - This would be the same as the current Enable Output where the Canister would continuously distribute its contents until either all of the available slots were filled, the Canister is empty or the mode is changed; and

Manual Output - In this mode the Canister would dispense and hold one resource at its outlet slot until it is taken by either the Astroneer, an Auto Arm or drawn out by another Module on the same platform. As each resource is taken, another will appear in the outlet slot for the next manual distribution.

Input - Input would only occur when the Canister is set to Manual Output and should work in the same manner as the current Disable Output mode works, including taking back resources that were drawn out by other Modules on the same platform, as menus are cycled through.

PS     If adapted similar changes should apply to the Gas Canisters.  It could also be adapted to the Soil Canisters.  Although I don't think it is such an important issue for the Soil Canisters, it may make sense to do so even if its only for the ease of consistency.

I honestly don't have any issues with the enable or disable output, if all but one of the canisters on a specific platform are empty then simply enable output and the resources won't load into them or you can just use the large canisters and have each one on its own platform. The picture is an example of what I'm doing.

Screenshot_20201008-175214_Xbox.jpg

8 hours ago, joseph Staples said:

I honestly don't have any issues with the enable or disable output, if all but one of the canisters on a specific platform are empty then simply enable output and the resources won't load into them or you can just use the large canisters and have each one on its own platform. The picture is an example of what I'm doing.

I appreciate your point of view because there are often ways to work around problems.  Yes, putting every Canister on its own platform will definitely work and I must say that your layout looks vey neat.  But this method  is somewhat inefficient 

My idea was simply a suggestion to avoid the workarounds and enable the use of multiple canisters on one platform without them interfering with each other.  A system like this would also allow the Canisters to feed other modules on the same platform in an efficient manner, while keeping resources in order.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:54 AM, Maaaatie said:

Yes, putting every Canister on its own platform will definitely work

I understand the thought having encountered similar quirks but this /thread