How to setup an Astroneer server on a local network without setting up ports(Still requires internet connection)

FDAVILOKA

Some time ago i tried to setup a dedicated server for me to play on my friends and i have no public IP that i can open ports on, so no luck in doing that.

After some tinkering with IPs and networks i found a way of setting one up without the need to mess with router ports or to have your own public IP. It's pretty long and janky and english isn't my first language, but bear with me because it really works(been using this to play with my friends the past few months).

What you need:

ZeroTierOne installed on your machine and on everyone that will want to connect to your server. ZeroTierOne is like hamachi, but highly customizable, we will need it to create a virtual network between you and your friends that want to connect to your server. Create an account and download it here https://www.zerotier.com/ .

Astroneer Server: download SteamCMD and the astroneer server, i won't go through the steps of setting up the server here, there's some really great guides to do that out there.

AstroLauncher(optional): greatly helps with managing your server, you can choose to use it or not on your server.

PublicIP: it can be any ip, it just needs to be accessed from the internet, preferrably of your own or your ISPs as i don't know if it's quite legal to use another persons IP. Don't worry, this ip won't be used for connection, it's just so the server won't close down, because it needs to be validated with any public IP. Generally the ip from here will do https://www.whatsmyip.org/ . I will be using the totally random ip "172.89.122.99" as an example in this guide.

How it works:The official Astroneer server has to use a public IP to validate your server(for crossplay i was told), so you can't really use a local or virtual network to connect to your server, if you do the server just closes when you run it. What we can do is use a public IP on the server so it passes that validation, and assign that same IP locally on a network on your computer(ZeroTier in this case, so your friends can connect to it as well), so the server is hosted locally instead of publicly because it is simply closer than where the public network the IP you choose is.

First, go to https://www.zerotier.com/ and log into your account(upper right corner "My ZeroTier.com") with your newly created account or with Google.Now click "Networks" on the toolbar on the top, create a network on the upper left corner button. You will now see a network with a random name and id listed on the right, access it.

You will find all your network's configuration options there. First make sure that the network is marked as "Private" on the top of the page.

r/Astroneer - How to setup an Astroneer server on a local network without setting up ports(Still requires internet connection)

If it's marked as "public" anyone can enter your network, trust me, you do not want that.When it's marked as private you have to allow every access to that network at the members section:

r/Astroneer - How to setup an Astroneer server on a local network without setting up ports(Still requires internet connection)

Don't mess with that, for now go to the managed routes section, you should find something like this:

Delete the default route using that little blue bin icon on the upper left corner. You should have the public ip you want to use now, but we'll need to change it a bit before that(keep the old one noted as well, we'll need the original too).

1 - Add /24 to the end of it.

2 - Substitute that last portion of it with a 0.For example, if you had the ip "172.89.122.99", now you should have "172.89.122.0/24".

Write it down on the "Destination" box on the bottom left corner and click submit. It should appear wher the one that you deleted was.

Go a little down and you'll find the IPv4 auto assign section. Check the auto-assign from range box and click on advanced, you should find this:

Delete the pool in the middle using the blue bin icon. More IP tinkering coming. Get your noted down public ip again and:

1 - Change the last portion of it to 1. Eg.: "172.89.122.99" to "172.89.122.1"

Put that it in the "Range Start" box. Get your original ip again and:

1 - Change the last part to 254. Eg.: "172.89.122.99" to "172.89.122.254".

And put that in the "Range End" box. Click submit and it should appear in the list.

Bear with me, we're nearly there.Leave your network's page open for now.

Go to your ZeroTier app that is installed on your machine, it should be on the taskbar, if not, launch it. Right click it and you should have this list of options:

Go to join network, a text box will appear asking for the network id, copy it from your networks web page and paste it there(be sure to check all three checkboxes there as well).

Click join and your machine should appear at the members section on your webpage showed before, if it doesn't reload the page, be sure to click yes to windows network prompt as well.

Your machine should appear like this on the list. Check the "Auth?" box to allow it to access the network. I recommend you to set a name for it if you want too. Reload the page and you should see an automatically set IP for your machine in the range you set earlier like this:

You need to only make one last change here. Delete that IP using the blue bin icon and use the little text box to add the ip you were using before here, "172.89.122.99" in my case. Now you are the owner of that IP inside your ZeroTier network. You can manually add your friends too using the "Manually Add Member" text box a little below, tell them to make sure to press "Yes" at a Windows prompt if it appears. Ask them for their "NodeID" that can be found by right clicking at the ZeroTier app:

And we are done with ZeroTier, just standard server configuration left.

Configure your server normally using any guide you like, but MAKE SURE to configure the server to use the ip you noted down through here and assigned to yourself at ZeroTier("172.89.122.99" in my case).

Also make sure to have fun for me :D

Edited by FDAVILOKA

Forgot to say that if you have any issue and need help hit me up in DMs, i'll reply whenever i can.

Edited by FDAVILOKA