1.13 - Steam - Shuttle stuck in outerspace, unable to reload game

Summary:
1.13 - Steam - Shuttle stuck in outerspace, unable to reload game

Description:

While playing in a multiplayer co-op game, my son and I took off from the mysterious satellite at the same time in two separate shuttles. I landed back on Sylva, but he became stuck in outerspace. He had the options of "C Launch" and "V Launch" but neither would do anything. He was also unable to select any planet or satellite to travel to. In an effort to restart his gameplay, we both logged out of the game. After relogging, I was able to rejoin without issue, but his game would give the error "unable to establish connection" and would return him back to the home screen. However he would show as "in-game" on my computer. We tried fixing this issue by restarting the game, restarting steam, restarting our internet, and restarting our computers, but none of these resolved the issue. Please help.

Platform:

Steam

Version / Build Number: 

Specifications:

Son's Computer                                                                                                         My Computer       

• OS: Windows 10 x64                                                                                 OS: Windows 10 Home x64
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  2.1 GHz                                                       CPU: Intel(R) i7 6700HQ 2.6 GHz
  • GPU: Radeon Vega 8 Gfx                                                                          GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

Update

Wasn't able to figure out why the bug caused the crash, or anything related to the crash. However, I was able to load my son's character back into our co-op game. 

By loading the world on my personal computer, then logging onto my son's Steam account on his computer, I selected to join game from Steam's friends list option. After the game launched, it filtered through several loading screens before returning to the home menu screen. However, the home menu screen did not have the single player option, and I could not join the game by selecting my name in the "Joinable Games" list.

Instead, I selected "Join Game" as if I was creating a new character for my son. That proceeded to launch him in a new drop ship, but once I exited his character, his backpack still had everything on it that it had before the crash.

By the looks of things, the only thing that was lost due to the crash was the small shuttle my son was travelling in.