Sign in to follow this  
RazorBaze

The Trouble with Alignment Mod tool

I think that currently Alignment Mod tool is just a lazy version of Flatten Mode, because it makes ground "perpendicular to gravity" only for the point of its activation.

I wish it was making ground "perpendicular to gravity" while I'm dragging my mouse - for every point it's been to while activation button is pressed.

Otherwise, it will still be EXTREMELY difficult to make nice, gravity friendly and stitches-free floor for your base.

Posted (edited)

I mean, I don't know if the game secretly has xyz coordinate system; but if there is suchlike - you should just "remember" an altitude (that's z coordinate in my example) at the point of Terrain Tool activation, augmented with Alignment Mod; and then simply copy that z coordinate to all the points I'm dragging my Terrain Tool onto (while mouse button is pressed).

Floor should not be perfectly flat in this game, because planets are small; it should follow their curve (at least with Alignment Mod tool).

Edited by RazorBaze

According to the wiki, it already works basically the way you described. It will just need regular readjustment when on smaller planets or closer to the core, due to the function of the polygons. 

Yeah, but readjustment means releasing mouse button, picking for a new spot and starting all over again.

The problem with this technique is "the stitches", emerging due to the tiniest differences between the polygons positioning.

And further from the start you go - the worse a headache it becomes.

Shortly, I really don't get it why is this so hard to "copy first z coordinate (from the first picked polygon) to all the polygons I'm dragging my mouse onto", so I didn't have to readjust.

Posted (edited)

Right now, flattening with Alignment Mod is simply indistinguishable from basic Flatten Mode (without augments), except for making "perpendicular" first selected polygons.

What's even the point of having 2 same flatteners? If one wanted make perfectly flat floor, one could swith off Alignment Mod after first click and flatten rest of the polygons with basic mode.

But this game doesn't like perfectly flat floors, because of the steep curve of the planets, so again why is this so freakin difficult?!

It should be "one click and drag" job.

Edited by RazorBaze

Personally, I don't see the need to flatten so huge an area that it ever becomes a problem. I tend to start off with the alignment tool to establish a base level, and then switch the alignment tool off to flatten out the section to the right size and shape I want.

Yes, turning around and running back and forth over a spot continuously will cause "stitches", so to avoid that I smooth in one direction, then release the button and go back, then smooth again. The polygons are made up of more angles so that you can actually get more complex, yet still smooth structures. I definitely prefer that over the flat, square grid of games like Minecraft. 

Yet still, flattening with Alignment Mod and basic Flatten works just the same, except only how Alignment Mod deals with 1st selected area.

7 hours ago, Anarchronist said:

I smooth in one direction, then release the button and go back, then smooth again

And that's how I'm getting my headache. While these 2 flattening tools are just copies of each other.

It should be "one click and drag" job.

!!!