Coal power - does it need a buff?

Killtech

I posted this originally on reddit, but thought i should post a link here too. The issue is that in the current gameplay the coal generator is somewhat lacking which I have tried to point out with a specific use case. I've also added a poll there an the result clearly favors a significant buff:

• 2 weeks later...

The Buff would really break the early game because thats a lot of power when starting a new save and you can just find them in caves, so basically you have solved all early game power issues. Becaus thats enough power and time to smelt a lot more organic and still have atleast 3 U/s.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps a better solution would be to create a large generator?  My solution would to create a gas/liquid powered generator fueled by hydrazine. Or perhaps a new petroleum based product created by the chemical station from carbon.   Something similiar to the hydrazine rocket that has multiple slots to hold a larger fuel supply.

I personally feel relying on the RTG's is too simple.  A large generator worth 2x the power of an RTG with consumable hydrazine fuel would be perfect. It would need to be able to hold enough supply to last long enough to be useful. 

Edited by zebers

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, zebers said:

Perhaps a better solution would be to create a large generator?  My solution would to create a gas/liquid powered generator fueled by hydrazine. Or perhaps a new petroleum based product created by the chemical station from carbon.   Something similiar to the hydrazine rocket that has multiple slots to hold a larger fuel supply.

I personally feel relying on the RTG's is too simple.  A large generator worth 2x the power of an RTG with consumable hydrazine fuel would be perfect. It would need to be able to hold enough supply to last long enough to be useful. 

Sure, I don't mind having a large generator, but how does it help the medium generator? if anything it would make it even more obsolete. Why even have it in the game if it doesn't have a use case?

Theoretically it has it perks being medium sized module but as long as it keeps its unimpressive power output at the expense of an extreme  coal consumption rate it just doesn't make sense at all.