Sign in to follow this  
Hardcase

Resource Containers: 3rd new setting/mode "Stand-By"

Posted (edited)

For Resource Containers we currently have 2 states:

Input (or pull ) Which pulls every reachable resources on connected storage into the container.
Output (or push ) Which pushes every resource away from the container.

I think we need 3rd state Stand-By or similar which works like Output meaning provide a single resource on the output, but does not push the resource away from the container.

That way the resource-containers can be placed on plattforms and can passively provide resources without filling up every available slot.

Edited by Hardcase

would the resource container provide to machines if they require that resource? The chemistry lab? The smelter? If it loads a resource into the chemistry lab and I change the recipe, will the resource try to go into available storage or back into the resource container? How would automation interface with the resource container, given the third mode?

Posted (edited)

Sure it would provide resources. Machines pull in resources from any slot on the plattform they are connected to. And a Resource Container on "Stand-By" would provide a single resource and refill it after taken away until empty, but the Container would not try to send all resources away and fill everything up.

Edited by Hardcase

And in this mode it should load/accept resources as in "pull" mode. it's really helpfull for automation.

Posted (edited)

This is a great idea which would definitely help with automation, as well as general dispensing. For instance, I use an Extra Large Curved Platform for my three printer sizes all in a line, with a Medium Resource Canister containing resin next to the Small Printer. It would certainly be more convenient to be able to top it up and take from it as needed without having to change modes.

Same goes for the Soil Canister option. As a general way to integrate the function, I would suggest holding the usual toggle button to set the canister to Standby (Y on Xbox, Triangle on PS4).

Edited by Anarchronist

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, JStocke12 said:

Would a canister in standby supply items to a smelter, or perhaps even another canister?

Canister just can supply items to some active tools (like smelter or centrifuge or chemistry lab), provide a single resource on the output, but does not push the resource away from the container to any other STORAGE.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, Hardcase said:

without filling up every available slot.

Edited by QuaziKing

Posted (edited)

Automated Update 2 just came out.
Can we please get this feature. So Medium/Large Storage/Silos/Cannister do not spam every empty storage spot.

Edited by Hardcase