RazorBaze

Endless gameplay: worn out equipments suggestion

Hello again!

In the creative mode we have numerous settings like "Solar Time Multiplier", etc.

That gave me an idea that all equipment in our game might have some kind of expiration date after which it would need some manual repair.

And players who doesn't want that feature could just tweak some "Equipment Expiration Multiplier" to 0 in creative mode (or it could be 0 by default, while adjustable in creative).

I do want that feature being adjustable in creative because I'm seeing this as a kind of mini-game that pushes players to revisit all their settlements for "taking care" of; and higher "Equipment Expiration Multiplier" would increase a need for it.

Also, you could make this "reparation" process easier, reducing it to fixing a local energy source; suggesting that all buildings and vehicles linked to that source would be repaired automatically.

Also-also: fixing an energy source might require some RANDOM resource.

!!! That would provide player with additional SURPRISING challenge on each settlement, making this "endless gameplay" more addictive.

14 hours ago, RazorBaze said:

you could make this "reparation" process easier, reducing it to fixing a local energy source

The way I see this, each piece of equipment (as well as each energy source) may have it's own "Expiration Count"; but commonly all connected equipment could share their average "Expiration Count"; and it's "counting" only if they are electrified.

It makes sense, since EC may only go down for working (being wearing off) equipment, which again requires electricity.

Thus, player will see only one EC at atime: shared or individual (for unconnected stuff).

And when EC comes to 0 - all base just turns into debris; and player have to connect it to new energy source(ses), or repair any old ones to higher an average EC for all connected stuff.

Also-also: fixing an energy source might require some RANDOM resource.

!!! That would provide player with additional SURPRISING challenge on each settlement, making this "endless gameplay" more addictive.

Yeah, don't forget about that, because random is always fun.

11 minutes ago, RazorBaze said:

Thusplayer will see only one EC at atime: shared or individual (for unconnected stuff).

!!! You can even go straightforward with this and set individual EC's equal to it's bytes cost from the Research Catalog; and it may require Research Items for "collective amortization" mechanic as well.

Ultimately, EC counter may turn these bytes into minutes I guess.

I do want that feature being adjustable in creative

And just to remind you.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RazorBaze said:

"collective amortization"

At very least, you could place this "one button to fix them all" right in the Research Catalog, so player had to spend some bytes for this amortization mechanic.

Thus, player will need to "endlessly" seek new Research Items to get more bytes.

!!! There.

Edited by RazorBaze

This sounds more like Space Repairman Simulator than Astroneer. With all due respect, a mechanic like this would kill base building for me, and the toggle for creative mode is useless for players like me who don't use creative mode. 

totally! but just so that you know, I have a slow computer and game refuses to load saves larger than 5 mb; and, yes I did virtual RAM and it works, but doesnt seem right to me, so; creative with automation and free soil seemed more preferable)

I did manage to open all equips and visit most of the planets before creative tho))

and, again: this "amortization" setting might be 0 by default.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:23 AM, RazorBaze said:

"one button to fi x them all" right in the Research Catalog , so player (...) will need to "endlessly" seek new Research Items

just to highlight my 4th approach to initial idea.

This sounds rather similar to the "endless gameplay" we saw in the initial release of no man's sky, it would be repetitive and boring to repair machines over and over again, and would make large bases, especially far away outposts, impossible to manage as all of the player's time would be spent repairing machines.

I like the idea of attrition or wear and tear (because space and radiation and alien planets and things…) but I can't think of a good example or past implementation I enjoyed. The Frigate maintenance in No Mans Sky being the best worst example. Absolute chore and some of the least fun gameplay I have ever experienced.

However, the idea that modules such as the Chemistry Lab or Smelter might be good for a number of cycles and then require replacement. That kind of makes sense but again having to replace things for no real reason other than adding a grind mechanic could become a chore pretty quickly. 

What would be the benefit to gameplay for a wear and tear system? If the modules were good for lets say 800 cycles of doing whatever there could be an efficiency meta-game in there somewhere — how many things can I make using the least amount of processes — but that's a stretch.

1 minute ago, dandanielordanny said:

What would be the benefit to gameplay for a wear and tear system?

I think I'm just seeking for something that not necessarily evolves in terms of gameplay (like unlocks, or storyline), but rather repetitive in it's core mechanic just to keep me busy.

Simply because I want to hang out in my little world I've created, admiring the views...
Like meditation))) in fact, the more repetitive - the better)) Because me myself is actually quite enough to make little mistakes \ happy accidents to keep MY story going, so

I just need a rational reason for it!

On 8/11/2020 at 6:37 PM, RazorBaze said:

I think I'm just seeking for something that not necessarily evolves in terms of gameplay (like unlocks, or storyline), but rather repetitive in it's core mechanic just to keep me busy.

Simply because I want to hang out in my little world I've created, admiring the views...
Like meditation))) in fact, the more repetitive - the better)) Because me myself is actually quite enough to make little mistakes \ happy accidents to keep MY story going, so

I just need a rational reason for it!

Fair play! I think *configurable games* could be the way to address this which is something you alluded to in your original post. This has been mentioned previously by others in these forums and reddit.

I would be interested to try your equipment attrition feature but I would also like the ability to switch it off depending on what I wanted to do in a particular save. It would be cool to increase/decrease *difficulty* adding or subtracting survival mechanics or increasing/reducing the amount of resources available on each planet. Imagine if there were for example only two or three resin deposits on the surface of the whole of each planet but each of those two or three resin deposits were much larger than we typically see them now. That would fundamentally change how you play through that particular game configuration. Exploration would be much the focus of that save as you search the planet for the initial resources you require. Hmm, maybe planet *size* should also be a configurable option…

Back to your equipment attrition idea. What if different planet environments affected equipment differently. Equipment might corrode quicker on Atrox but barely at all on Deslo (because no atmosphere) but RTG's work twice as efficiently on Atrox boosted by the radiation in the atmosphere. I think there has to be a give and take (+/-) for each of these mechanics but that's just my opinion! 

😉

1 hour ago, dandanielordanny said:

configurable games

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm suggesting in a next thread
(the title is a bit unfortunate though - it should be something like "More customization for Creative Mode")

I was thinking more like configurable saves for Adventure Mode rather than Creative. A range of variables that you could configure in a menu a little like the Creative Mode menu that would result in games that fall into an Easy, Normal, Hard Mode type categorisation system each with it's own series of incentives (cosmetics) and 'achievements' (I play on PS4) to unlock.

So 'Hard' mode or 'Survival Mode' might include your equipment attrition idea (or not, games should be fully customisable for endless repeat playability potential) as well as a few other challenges such as fewer resources, bigger/smaller planets, higher/lower bytes cost for catalog items or no RTG's or no buildable power (I'm totally just thinking out loud here) to qualify a game as either, Easy, Normal or Hard Mode.

Yeah, totally!

I also hope such challenging / repetitive settings could be turned on from inside an old save file: I don't want to abandon my current world))

Hoping to see that in nearest updates!