Aspherical

Creative mode option: Make explosions annihilate resources

Posted (edited)

Pretty straightforward idea. If you've ever tried to use large amounts of dynamite along with any of the other explosive compounds to quickly clear out a large volume of terrain, you know it can get pretty annoying to have to deal with all the research items & various stacks of resources floating in the air or falling down into various cave systems and so on. I think it may also contribute to the large amounts of lag that can affect the game when you have really big explosions, as the game tries to calculate the physics of hundreds or even thousands of falling resource stacks & research items. 

There's already a option in the creative mode menu that makes it so you don't harvest resources when you're using the Terrain Tool, which is useful for deforming the terrain without having to deal with the clutter of hundreds of different stacks just rolling around everywhere. A similar option that would make it so that explosions just annihilate everything, rather than producing stacks from resources within the terrain would be similarly useful, I think, and hopefully not too hard to implement. Given how large the planets are, I don't think there's any danger of someone unintentionally breaking the game irrevocably by destroying too much stuff either.

Edited by Aspherical