nrage

Automation: Future additions and improvements

Loving the new automation stuff so far.  These are some small ideas for future additions or improvements I would love to see.

1. A timer.  Perhaps this is an addition to the button repeater, where we can set a delay for the repeat.  Or, perhaps it's a new item which can be placed, attached to a soil centrifuge (for example) which sends a button press on a set timer.  This will mean that people don't have to create timers by using storage and resource cannisters, chained together.

2. A 50% storage/battery/power detection mode.  e.g. full or half full, half full or empty, etc.  Or perhaps a fully customisable "high and low water mark" style range for these triggers.  At present, if you set a battery sensor to full or not full, it can trigger in rapid succession due to it triggering as soon as the battery loses a tiny amount of power, resulting in power generation, resulting in it shutting off, then immediately triggering again.   Being able to trigger on full or empty solves it, but leaves power generation to only start when empty so that if you're consuming slightly more than you can generate you run out of power.  If it triggered on half full, it would delay the time you run out of power.

3. Resource conveyor belts and/or pipes.  It's annoying having to collect and carry my resources to my printers, why can't I automate this.  I don't think we want items to simply travel down the existing power cables, for example, as we need to be more selective about where items come from.  I don't necessarily want to steal carbon from my stockpile for the generators, for example.

4. Gas storage silos.  Storing gas is a pain.

5. Auto arms for larger items.  I would love to be able to automate research of large items, and recycling of large scrap. Or to be able to set up an arm which swaps my full storage with an empty one on a vehicle when I simply pull up next to it (would probably need 2 arms, one with a storage not empty filter, and the other with a storage empty filter or something).

6.  Auto arms use too much power when idle.  Having an auto-arm on a vehicle will drain power rather too quickly, IMO.

Thanks!

I'm desperate for some kind of train/pipeline system. Running backwards and forwards to collect resource canisters can be a terrible chore at times. I tried creating an auto-arm conveyer with some success but it was a chore to set it up and then I had to babysit the thing to keep the arms working even with a sensor system to regulate them. 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, nrage said:

Loving the new automation stuff so far.  These are some small ideas for future additions or improvements I would love to see.

1. A timer.  Perhaps this is an addition to the button repeater, where we can set a delay for the repeat.  Or, perhaps it's a new item which can be placed, attached to a soil centrifuge (for example) which sends a button press on a set timer.  This will mean that people don't have to create timers by using storage and resource cannisters, chained together.

2. A 50% storage/battery/power detection mode.  e.g. full or half full, half full or empty, etc.  Or perhaps a fully customisable "high and low water mark" style range for these triggers.  At present, if you set a battery sensor to full or not full, it can trigger in rapid succession due to it triggering as soon as the battery loses a tiny amount of power, resulting in power generation, resulting in it shutting off, then immediately triggering again.   Being able to trigger on full or empty solves it, but leaves power generation to only start when empty so that if you're consuming slightly more than you can generate you run out of power.  If it triggered on half full, it would delay the time you run out of power.

3. Resource conveyor belts and/or pipes.  It's annoying having to collect and carry my resources to my printers, why can't I automate this.  I don't think we want items to simply travel down the existing power cables, for example, as we need to be more selective about where items come from.  I don't necessarily want to steal carbon from my stockpile for the generators, for example.

4. Gas storage silos.  Storing gas is a pain.

5. Auto arms for larger items.  I would love to be able to automate research of large items, and recycling of large scrap. Or to be able to set up an arm which swaps my full storage with an empty one on a vehicle when I simply pull up next to it (would probably need 2 arms, one with a storage not empty filter, and the other with a storage empty filter or something).

6.  Auto arms use too much power when idle.  Having an auto-arm on a vehicle will drain power rather too quickly, IMO.

Thanks!

1. There is actually a way I recently learned from YouTuber One Last Midnight on how to create a timer using just two buttons ( search “automatic soil centrifuge” to see it built and in action). You are right though, it would be better if we had some kind of function on the button that does this.

2. Good suggestion. I’d like to see that implemented. They could be called “Full or Half Full”, Empty or Half Empty” etc.

3. The Devs originally had this conveyer system in a much earlier build, where the items did travel down the power cables. You’re right though, we need some way to indicate where we want the items to go. Maybe a widget that attaches to storages and modules (like the new sensors) which can be set to a specific channel or frequency, so that when items are on storage with widget A on frequency 1, they get sent to storage with widget B on frequency 1, etc.

4. Yes! I need this! Please Devs!

5. Agreed. I actually made a new topic on this alone, before finding your suggestion here, so this is definitely something I’d want too. I’d only want to be able to move artefacts though, as I see no point in moving other tier 2 items around.

6. Agreed. Right now when On (regardless of being used or when idle) each arm draws 1 unit of power from your base’s/vehicle’s power supply per second. That means that an RTG can only power four Auto Arms and nothing else! That seems a bit wrong to me. I would half the power cost to 0.50 units per second, or at least dial it back to 0.75 units per second.

Sort of a semi-related topic, but a number of people have suggested drones/robot pets in the past. I can see drones being seriously included now, as one of their functions could be to become part of the automation. Imagine this setup: you have a special “carrier” drone (I’m thinking of a caterpillar  tracked drone) that can carry a tier 2 item (medium storage). You have a pair of “Stop Here” pads on the ground (one where the resources are stored and the other where you need them to go) which the drone is programmed to go back and forth between. You have Auto Arms loading and unloading the storage on its back at each end, allowing you to move a number of items from point A to point B. This could be across considerable distances, even taking supplies from one base to another on the same planet!

On 7/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, Ghostwolf93 said:

Sort of a semi-related topic, but a number of people have suggested drones/robot pets in the past. I can see drones being seriously included now, as one of their functions could be to become part of the automation. Imagine this setup: you have a special “carrier” drone (I’m thinking of a caterpillar  tracked drone) that can carry a tier 2 item (medium storage). You have a pair of “Stop Here” pads on the ground (one where the resources are stored and the other where you need them to go) which the drone is programmed to go back and forth between. You have Auto Arms loading and unloading the storage on its back at each end, allowing you to move a number of items from point A to point B. This could be across considerable distances, even taking supplies from one base to another on the same planet!

I love this idea. Possibly a nightmare to implement (imagine the A.I. for this thing, having to adapt to player deformation of terrain and randomly dropped objects) but go big or go home, right?! I was thinking of something similar, a tier 2 size 'drone' or auto-pilot module that could be attached to any vehicle and 'programmed' to move back and fourth between nodes, the nodes being either landing pads for rockets or a special rover docking station for rovers.

It's a pain currently to move things over long distances, the Large Shuttle isn't really large enough and the rovers struggle which much of the terrain across all but a few planets. This means making multiple Large Shuttle journeys which isn't very compelling gameplay as you spend most of that time in/out of the launch/landing cutscenes. If you actually had to fly the shuttle, well then… but I digress. We need a better long distance transportation options for resources, I like the drone 'carrier' idea as one of those options! 

On 7/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, nrage said:

Resource conveyor belts and/or pipes.

I'm not sure whether conveyor belts would fit in this game because I don't want it to become too similar to Satisfactory. Nevertheless, I'd love something like a transport system provided by rovers/ small trains and tiny rockets like the trading platforms. So you were able to transport ressources to your homeplanet without having to travel manually every 10 minutes.