Posted (edited)

I hate battle royale games with passion but if I could have a compass in Astroneer, similar to those in Fortnite, PUBG or CoD: Warzone, I would die a happy man.

image.png.8f61503b9e36bedf55242438a9c87f2b.png

Edited by Avanglion

Yes, and have the compass actually work with the magnetic poles of the planets properly

On 7/21/2020 at 11:02 AM, Ushot2late said:

There already is a compass if you hover your cursor over the astroneer.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:39 AM, Avanglion said:

...similar to those in Fortnite, PUBG or CoD: Warzone...

5 minutes ago, Avanglion said:

He said "If I could have a compass in astroneer", which implies there is not one

If he was just saying he'd like a compass change he should have said something to make that clear.

Since beacons are easily hidden by tall mountains, and planet's curvature, I'd like to have small 'pips' added to the compass interface that would point in the direction of the beacons. Of course, different colored 'pips' for different beacons.

Totally agree and have been requesting the same for several years.

After all, this is an Astroneer that is capable of interplanetary travel and yet we don't have the technology to provide a HUD compass that enables tick marks for the locations of Beacons and Bases.

I understand the developers desire to keep the "Clean Screen", but a simple bar compass at the top of the screen, as depicted, would be great.  Also, make it optional for those players that do want to keep a clean screen (although, if it became available I don't think to many players would turn it off).

I don't mind the "on the ground" compass rose when you are out of the vehicle, but a heads up display (HUD) when you are driving would be wonderful. I recently started playing another similar game that goes by the initials NMS and it has a HUD compass, but the only directions that it shows are North and South. I guess East and West don't exist in that universe, but that HUD is almost useless unless you want to go straight north or south. Trying to go every other direction is a crap-shoot at best, so a well thought out HUD is really a joy to behold.

I don't agree.

One of the feature of Astroneer is that there's no any in-game hud, which allow players to take screenshots any time.

And, There's another way to check bearing ; look at the galaxy. West is where stars rise up and East is where stars falls.

1 hour ago, Iota said:

I don't agree.

One of the feature of Astroneer is that there's no any in-game hud, which allow players to take screenshots any time.

And, There's another way to check bearing ; look at the galaxy. West is where stars rise up and East is where stars falls.

The clean screen for snapshots wouldn't be a problem if a HUD compass was able to be turned on or off as each player prefers.

And something a bit more directional than celestial navigation providing NSWE would be nice.

You have to admit that its a bit odd that our Astroneers have interplanetary travel capabilities and a vacuum cleaner that can suck up dirt and minerals, but he doesn't have an adequate compass or GPS 😎

Still, I can remember the early days of the game when the trucks didn't have parking brakes 🤣

well, technically GPS requires a satellite network, and the planets don't have magnetic cores, but yea I agree, it's a bit ridiculous.

1 hour ago, JStocke12 said:

well, technically GPS requires a satellite network, and the planets don't have magnetic cores, but yea I agree, it's a bit ridiculous.

Good points - except for the fact that there must be some form of magnetic core as there is a compass in game.  Its just not a very practical or useful compass.

As for GPS satellites, true in this day and age, but this is a futuristic game - think navigation in Startrek

I think that we are forgetting that this is a fictional universe that our Astroneers are exploring in, and that NONE of the rule that apply to our universe need to apply there. Yes, the developers have chosen to to make some of the situations similar to what we expect, but maybe the planetary cores are something else that allows a compass to work like it does here and that GPS can work without a geosynchronous satellite network to support it. As the masters of the game world they have created, they can do anything that they want to, and there really doesn't have to be any reason or logic to it either. Sure it makes us feel better when it works the same way it works here, but they can do what they want to make it the way they want it. I think it's called suspension of disbelief. I'm not as concerned with the mechanics of how it works, just that it works.