JStocke12

Add storage sensor capability to machine inventories

While this may have broad applications, the primary reason I want this is because soil centrifuge automation feels unnecessarily complicated, and the only way I know of doing it on a single platform is gated behind lithium as it performs its detection using a battery and a power sensor.

This would make it far easier to automate soil centrifuges, which would make dedicated production lines far easier. While it may be more economical to use auto extractors, resource deposits tend to be spread out, requiring resource runs or lengthy chains of auto arms. In addition, in the early game, players don't have access to the auto extractor, meaning that the only reliable source of materials like ammonium, graphite, or even organic, excluding exceptionally large deposits may be soil centrifuges.

With machines that have multiple inventories, like the soil centrifuge (soil storage and resource output), the sensor could measure different inventories depending on what part of the model they are placed on.

Posted (edited)

Tbh I'm not exactly sure what you mean by gated by lithium? There's multiple ways of continuesly activate the soil centrifuge at the moment? Be it powersensors, storage sensors or quickfire button repeaters... My personal favorite is the small wind turbine and the power sensor. After the button repeaters that is... 

Edited by Totemkopf
Spelling

Sorry, I phrased that weirdly. Most of the automation isn't perfectly consistent, from the wind turbines not always being powered to a system using a storage sensor needing a restart when it runs out of soil. I was referring to this video, since using the power sensor you'd need a constant supply of power from an RTG, or a battery. I haven't heard of quickfire button repeaters, could you elaborate? wouldn't a clock cause the machine to stop as well as start?

ah, I suppose it does work, but still, it would be nice for automation to be able to directly read machine inventories, and it would be more intuitive if there was a "clock" logistic item so you wouldn't need to make a loop of button repeaters.

I dont know if youve seen this one but if you havent the whole thing is a nice watch.  at around 4:50 theres talk about the new sensors and logic gates that seem to be on the roadmap

I saw the original stream, but unless they allow the storage sensor to sense machine inventories, there would be no use for a slower clock than just two button repeaters.