The sandstorms in astroneer were some of the funniest things I've experienced, but now they have been removed kinda sucks so I have some Ideas for the weather systems:

Acid Rain: Can occur on polluted or radioactive planets

Sandstorms: Can occur on all planets

Rain Storms: Universal

Lightning: Not sure where it could be used but it sounds fun

A PVE "Hard Mode" would be good, weather is a great way to do that

I like the idea of storms retuning, even as a purely aesthetic event. I think there is generally a desire across both community and developers to bring storms back BUT how to do so in a compelling and fun way? I only started playing with the PS4 release so I completely missed the original storms but from the various YouTube clips I have seen they looked really cool, it made the planets look/feel more alive. In the short-term I would be happy just to 'see' the storms now and again with no tangible effect on the gameplay. Inviting the player to stop for a moment and take a pause in whatever they might be doing and simply enjoy the moment.

In the long-term I would like to see in Adventure/Survival Mode the planets should push back against the player a little more, we pretty much get a non-consequences free pass to obliterate the solar system one planet at a time. There should be consequences to those actions in Adventure Mode. For example: greater terrain deformation results in more frequent and violent storms. Storms wouldn't necessarily be all bad either. In addition to those spikey balls of death, high winds could provide a boost to power output for Wind Turbines and randomly bring lost/loose items back to the base…

Yeah, since their removal a lot of people have been constantly lagging to bring them back. I am also one of them and hope there will be a "survival mode" as opposed to the "adventure" one with all those features reworked and enabled again. And I also hope that rewoking means the mechanic have a more diverse interaction then it did before.