The current Auto Arm (which could alternatively be called a Small Auto Arm) can only move tier 1 items. Having discovered that they can be used to continuously load Research Chambers with Research Samples, I think that at some point in the future we should be able to get a larger, Medium Auto Arm that can move tier 2 items like Artefacts, for the same purpose.

The item would be built with the Medium Fabricator and would take up a single tier 3 slot, like the one on a Large Platform A. The area that it would grab tier 2 items from would also be larger, to accommodate the larger sized tier 2 items.

Forgot to mention:

I envision the recipe as being an evolution of the original Auto Arm’s recipe: 1 Aluminium, 1 Graphite, and then either 1 Tungsten or 1 Tungsten Carbide.

Posted (edited)

why not instead of Aluminum and Graphite the crafting recipe uses Aluminum Alloy and Graphene? Also, Tungsten seems a bit expensive, but it would make sense if there was good precedent. Perhaps it could also share an ingredient with the crane, as reference to its tier 2 attachment point (Steel, Titanium or Silicone).

Edited by JStocke12

2 hours ago, JStocke12 said:

why not instead of Aluminum and Graphite the crafting recipe uses Aluminum Alloy and Graphene? Also, Tungsten seems a bit expensive, but it would make sense if there was good precedent. Perhaps it could also share an ingredient with the crane, as reference to its tier 2 attachment point (Steel, Titanium or Silicone).

You could switch out the Aluminium for Aluminium Alloy, that would have the same effect as having included Tungsten in the recipe (you would still need to travel to Desolo to get the Tungsten for the Chemistry Lab). Graphene however means you would also need to get the Atmospheric Condesner before making them (you would need the Hydrogen for the Hydrazine used to make the Graphene), which would make it a little later in the game than I imagine. You can make the regular Auto Arm without having to leave the starting planet as the two ingredients for it are found there, so I was adding Tungsten in order to require the player to wait a bit until they’ve travelled off world to Desolo before being able to build the Medium Auto Arm. What about 2x Aluminium Alloy and 1 Graphite? Still requires you to visit Desolo for the Tungsten for the Chemistry Lab, but the materials used for making the Aluminium Alloy are back on Sylva. One round trip to Desolo and you could start making as many Medium Auto Arms as you can find the resources for.

Noones talking about the possible issues with this? I mean Ofc I want a t2 arm too but... It wouldn't just be able to grab research. It'd grab everything t2. So the filter system would need to be decent. One would also need to consider weather all the t2 research has the same "tag" otherwise filtering wouldn't really work since most t2 look different. Some organic and some mineral not to mention the visual aspect. 

neither large platforms nor research labs are t2, I don't see how it would be a problem if you kept it sufficiently far enough from your base.

49 minutes ago, JStocke12 said:

neither large platforms nor research labs are t2, I don't see how it would be a problem if you kept it sufficiently far enough from your base.

agreed. altho i was thinking more about storage. from medium storage to towers and canisters. for instance if a canister is outputting something and gets grabbed? either way don't get me wrong i definitely want t2 arms too! (id prefer if they fixed the bugs with the t1 arms first tho...)

10 hours ago, Totemkopf said:

Noones talking about the possible issues with this? I mean Ofc I want a t2 arm too but... It wouldn't just be able to grab research. It'd grab everything t2. So the filter system would need to be decent. One would also need to consider weather all the t2 research has the same "tag" otherwise filtering wouldn't really work since most t2 look different. Some organic and some mineral not to mention the visual aspect. 

I can definitely see the issue you bring up here, though I should point out that I was actually envisioning this as being set by the devs to only pick up artefacts. Maybe give it a name that includes ‘Artefact’ in the title to convey this? Like “Artefact Auto Arm” for example. This way it would not need a filter item, because it has its own inbuilt filter.