Some ideas to make Atrox worth exploring and not just needed for progression.

johnll56

As you all know, there are only two reasons to go to Atrox: getting Helium to make Nanocarbon Alloy (and from there RTGs and other endgame items) and of course

Spoiler

to activate the gateway engine, as with all other planets.

There's literally no reason to explore it, as it doesn't even have specific resources like all the other planets do. It feels like a missed opportunity for the hardest planet in the game to be the least rewarding to traverse and explore & encourages players to just set up a base and never move from there. I think Atrox really needs some work put into it, so it's not just a case of "go there, set up an atmospheric condenser with an RTG and call it a day". Given you HAVE to go there if you want an RTG, it only seems logical to make players want to explore it and face all the hazards that SES has put effort and time into making.

So, here are some things I think could make it interesting:

• The easy solution: add some normal resource (ie not gas, but a mine-able one) that spawns as primary, so in the cave layers. Given the planet's radiated nature, the logical choice would be Uranium. Possibly make it rare-ish, so you'd really need to explore caves facing all those beloved rocket-launcher plants to find it. This resource could be used to craft some endgame items. Also you could possibly need to make some radiation protection armour to prevent getting irradiated to death from uranium clusters.
  • Make its research-able samples have a very high byte count (ie 10k or more bytes) higher than that of Glacio's samples. That way the challenging exploration + hauling of the samples needed to research them would be paired with a good reward. This would probably require rebalancing Glacio's samples as they simply break the research system.
  • This ties into #1: add a system whereby you can find something like ancient technology scattered around the planets (not the usual debris, something else entirely) which you can then use to build some real endgame machines. I'm thinking a helicopter or some other sort of flying machine with which you can take off and land anywhere.
  • Add some sort of fauna that has evolved to withstand the radioactive environment; you could potentially tame this animal and it would help you out while scouting caves etc, killing harmful plants and such and it'd be a companion similar to the cuddlefish in Subnautica.

Post your ideas below!