FDAVILOKA

Dedicated server requiring no public IP(at least to host locally)

Posted (edited)

So, i just tried to host a dedicated server locally for me and my friends to play (as we play in really different styles a server is our best bet), and after hours of trying just found out that you need to host the server in a public IP for it to validate externally for crossplay apparently. I come to request humbly for you to please implement private IP hosting functionality, at least locally.

I feel like that's really really really important because in many places around the world it's really difficult and/or expensive to get a public IP address that can be used to host services like this. In the place that i live in my country for example the way that ISPs work are: the ISP has a managed IP, and all the users are setup behind that IP using NAT, so we don't really have any IP or ports accessible by the outside of our network or that can be used for hosting or anything whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure that this is what is causing problems for hosting for many people on reddit and here as well.

You could probably still leave the external server validation there but put an option on the server config file like "HostingIP" separated from "PublicIP", so the server can still be validated externally but we could then host the server where we want(locally on our networks), pretty much like how a minecraft or any other server for that matter works, as in my entire life the Astroneer server is the first one that i've seen that works like this.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Edited by FDAVILOKA

I saw your post and another, coupled with my own quarrels too I whipped up a powershell script to make IP automation a bit more of a breeze.

I was thinking of getting the tool to keep the IP updated but it involves shutting down the server to update the config which isn't suitable when people want to play.

If you're connected to the internet you will have a public IP. You should also be able to configure your home network by way of port forwarding.

In this case, port forward, set a static IP for your host machine (not the same as your gaming unit) and away you go.

This tool will be able to query a web service for your WANIP and update the config file for you.

Posted (edited)

No, you didn't understand, i might have a public IP, but it's owned and controlled by my ISP, i have no control over it (trust me, i tried), can't open ports, can't access my network through it either, i even explained why in my first post(NAT). That's exactly my point, many people, especially where i live, don't have control of their ports externally(even logically you can't have one real IP per network as we wouldn't have for everyone), been explaining that to many people over the internet that have think that we do.

For reference, i live in Brazil, the internet's here is pretty good, fiber optics of 400 megabits per second are pretty accessible, but we still have that problem of having no control over our external IPs and ports.

Not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to explain my and many people's situation.

Edited by FDAVILOKA

Posted (edited)

Just to add that yes that IS a really common practice in ISPs here, not just in my region, but in most of the whole country (300 million inhabitants), and from the people i talked to, is a common practice in some parts of europe as well(same discussion i had on reddit).

Edited by FDAVILOKA

It's weird that dedicated server needs you to type your WAN IP in, it means your local connection is hair-pinning NAT via the router. Seems odd way to do it. Cant even use a dyn-dns FQDN as a client either even if the server does keep changing the IP address in the config file. Is annoying.

I'm in the US and that is a problem here as well. I'm really hoping that there's progress being able to split authentication from game traffic so that you can play on a dedicated server without having to route the traffic up- and down-stream.

One idea I'm trying to figure out is possibly (ab)using IP routing tables (or doing some datacenter L2/L3 hackery) so that I can tunnel the auth. connection through a VPN into my local network. I'll post something on the unlikely chance i figure something out. This would certainly be a lot easier if we could just configure the server to listen for auth. connections separately from game connections.

Thanks for the post here documenting the issue. I'm still a but unclear on the technical side of what Astroneer is doing here, but it's nice to see that at least I'm not the only one with the issue. No debug logs :(.