Sign in to follow this  
AxelX7

Resource Probe for Auto-Extractor

Posted (edited)

With the Auto Extractor I found it difficult to find the perfect place for it and it's hard to tell at a glance how rich a node is.

I propose an item, small enough to carry around on the backpack, that can be placed to give an approximate readout of the node to reduce juggling of the Auto Extractor.

It would be useful to tell the richness of a node before digging, so I suggest it be made of either Iron or Steel, putting it at mid-late game, and cost somewhere around 5-8,000 bytes.

Edited by AxelX7

To add to this idea i would state that it would just be nice to just have the blue hologram marking the snapped to location and have it present the capacity gauge before placing as just a feature considering how expensive the auto extractor is in the first place.  Also have the 3 little nodes on an auto extractor work as pucks to place something like a Boost Mod for increasing cycle yield.

I like that idea, Tool Slots would be very nice to add to the Auto Extractor; Wide mod increases the range, boost mod increases speed of extraction, etc. Each would increase the power requirement of the AE of course. Still, having a more mobile item to gauge just how rich a node is before moving the AE all the way to it would be a nice QoL change.

Also, maybe an item like the probe scanner that points you in the direction of a resource node when it has a filter?

Maybe adding a research-able item like:

Name:  Extraction Surveyor

Recipe: 1xCopper 1xIron (Small Printer)

Design: Has the legs of the Camera tripod, and then has the  green bar gauge from the side of the Auto Extractor as the main body with an Icon above for the resource deposit you are over.  Then select the point you want to scan by clicking the top and grabbing a cable like the one from the new sensors and placing it down on the "target" point that you would placed the Auto Extractor. Then have the read out on the tool.  And maybe a screen that can tell you the projected amount of resource it would claim from that specific point. 

Function: Survey potential placement of Auto Extractor and also use the "target" pin to snap-and-lock the auto extractor to when placing it down on the deposit being scanned.

Feasibility of implementation:  I feel that this item would be low impact on programming due to the code already existing in the Auto Extractor for deposit capacity.  The design and 3D modeling would be low impact due to the assets of its design are already present in the Camera (legs), Sensor (wire and pin), Auto Extractor (deposit capacity gauge).  The "target" pin anchoring would be a little difficult because they would have to explicitly allow placement of only the Auto Extractor to prevent it from accepting another item from being "snapped" to it an cause a state conflict.  The "need" aspect of the developers' attention to this, i would say would be low.  This item would not be fully necessary to get the job done and would feel a bit redundant but would be a very nice "quality of life" (QOL) item to have for sure.