syterth

Thoughts on Automation

So this is partly my thoughts, and partly a cry for help.

Here's the help part:

I do not understand how to get the three sensors to work. I haven't had any success. The sensors are not intuitive, and the bits of instruction given have not offered me any assistance whatsoever. So if anyone would give me a tutorial on how they work, that would be amazing. Given that, the sensors need another pass. They need to operate in such a way that you read what they do and they then work appropriately.

Now, on to my thoughts.

Since I can't get the sensors to work, they aren't worth my time.

I like the auto arm, especially with the soil centrifuge. It allows me to pump out materials quickly with little to no effort in moving things around to allow for space. Hopefully I can get the storage sensor to work, because then I can get my hydrazine factory rolling. That's the most I'll really do for automation, honestly. Nothing else in this game really requires it as things currently stand.

I just built my first autoextractor, and everything is going well. I enjoy this machine. I started a fresh game to try out automation. I've been to Desolo and Glacio only so far, and that's plenty to get the autoextractor. It feels like the correct level of technology. It also encourages me to reach out to different places with a little bit of infrastructure so I can power an extractor. It all seems good to me so far.

The best addition to the game, hands down, is the storage containers. They are absolutely amazing. I carry one to wherever I need to be, set it down, and get to harvesting. In no time, I've filled it up with whichever resource I need, and I'm off to resume crafting and exploring and etc. I haven't tried every small item, but I think the storage container needs to be able to hold more things. Or another type of storage should be made available. Why can't I stash lots of packaged research into a container? That would make exploration runs even more feasible. A gas storage container would make sense to me.

I really like that the research chamber stays ON always now. It's a very minor change, but I like it.

The next thing I'd like to see are queues added. So with the soil centrifuge, as an example, set up an order: Resin, Graphite, Compound. Then, assuming there is enough soil to fill the centrifuge each time, the machine will work until the queue is done or it runs out of soil. Likewise, I think the chemistry lab and even the various printers could all work similarly. That is some automation I could really get behind. Then you can set your base up to craft while you run off to collect more research or resources or whatever.

I'd also like to see a comprehensive guide on how the carious components work for automation.  And why can't you use a large resource container for the auto extractor?  Seems like that would be an obvious choice.

One thing that really bugs me is that every time I walk about the auto-arm I have with empty slots on my backpack, it fills it up with Hydrogen canisters from my nearby storage?  How do you avoid that from happening, barring staying aware from the arm with open backpack slots?

Posted (edited)

If you look into the developers live streams, they tease a lot of items to come relatively soon.  They recently teased a gas canister, and when asked if it could possibly explode they maniacally stated "maybe". 

(BTW the streams are quite long, but the youtuber Last Midnight posts a highlight reel of the livestreams)

Edited by SMITH .

Do you mean the way you connect sensors or the details of when they activate in different modes? 

You can easily test the storage sensor to understand it, just attach it to a medium storage and draw a line from it (press the top, then press f on an empty piece of land. Then move stuff on or off the storage and check when it lights up and what state the sensor is in (e.g. "waiting for storage to fill"). 

A pretty useful thing: Place two resource canisters on a platform, set both to input and insert one item, attach a sensor to either one and branch its signal back to both canisters. Set the sensor to "empty or not empty" then flip the storage with the item to output. This should move the item back and forth creating a fast clock that will send a repeated signal that can be used to auto-activate a soil centrifuge. It's noisy but doesn't need power so it can be placed far away. This shoudl be everything you need for a fully automatic soil-to-hydrozine factory. 

You connect the sensor to the device that acts as a trigger. You can mouse over the sensor to see what the conditions of the trigger are. You can sometimes change it.

Connect wires from sensor to devices you want to be the target of the pulse when sensor is triggered. Said pulse will toggle the on/off switch of the target device. So if a device is off, it will turn it on, or vice versa.

Say for example you want your atmo condenser to only operate while there's solar power coming in. Connect a power sensor to a single small solar nearby (or platform, or splitter... unsure which will let you place it), and then wire it to your atmo condenser. If it's during the day, turn on the atmo since that's it's desired daytime state. When there's no more power coming from the solar panel because it's night time, it will send a pulse to the atmo which will toggle it off. Once the day arrives and the solar panel is once again providing power, it will send another pulse to the atmo which will toggle it back on. You can use this to regulate which devices will work during different energy states.