Thw0rted

Fix for "hairpin NAT" issue?

There was a lot of discussion shortly after the launch of the dedicated server about how, if your router doesn't support reaching a LAN server via the WAN IP with port forwarding rules, you can't play on your own server from a local computer.  I haven't seen any updates in those threads for a while. I know a new version of the client just came out. Are there fixes for the server yet? Is System Era tracking this? Is there a better place to ask for status than here?

Agreed, I am three days into a binge trying to get this to work. Litterally stood up a VPN with digitalocean in an attempt to route my windows box through a publicly rout-able ip address. "whats my ip" in google finally returns what i expect, finally able to see server show up on client. Cant connect to host. Login Failed. No logs. come on guys what happened? Offline servers for many is the point of dedicated servers. Been waiting for this for along time and a bit shaken at systemera for not allowing local servers from the start.

Posted (edited)

That sounds to me like it should work.  Are you sure your router has port-forwarding configured for the right port, and Windows Firewall is letting it through?  I don't know if your DigitalOcean box lets you SSH in or something, but you could try netcat or echo to /dev/tcp to test if your VPN endpoint can see your forwarded port as open.

Edited by Thw0rted

Posted (edited)

I run LInux with a windows VM. Both backed by RX580. I cant join dedicated servers on linux client because linux is an afterthought. I cant join my windows client due to hairpin NAT issue I run into thorught the VPN. Ive spent the last 2 nights in wireshark trying to figure this out.

My server does show up on the linux client, just immidiatly fails to join. But yeah, the port in the engine.ini file is being forwarded thorgh a VPN Tunnel back to my local windows machine. wireshark shows packet flow both ways at both ends.

Im trying to route udp traffic across the internet and back for a local server. not....optimal. Please add Offline Server Support

Edited by Hatz

okay, so I did some more research and got this working. Also right at the end i removed a bad port forward from local linux router (woops, wrong window at some point). So its still possible to get this to work behind a NAT via VPS+VPN relay, but wow. too much effort. This is why I am now one of few running without nitrowhatsits right now. I already owned the VPS. Others might not. And this is still a silly configuration.