znopp

Astroneer server hosted at home, cannot close program.

Posted (edited)

Hello! This is my second post on here.

Straight to the point: When I click on "STOP" in Steam to stop the dedicated server, nothing happens. It just keeps saying "STOP". I have to exit Steam, wait for it to allow me to use the "EXIT NOW" button, and then it essentially crashes the program for me, and then turns off Steam. Alternatively, I can end the processes in Task Manager, and it will shut down.

Why is there no easier way to stop the server? Can we somehow tell it to open a separate window so we can in the command line type "stop"? 

• Mouse/keyboard? Controller?: I use KB and Mouse
  • Steam? Xbox?: As stated above, I use Steam
  • What were you doing leading up to this bug?: Trying to close the server program.
  • Any steps that we can take to reproduce the bug on our end is appreciated.: Fire up the server, then try to close it again (Through Steam)
  • Include any media you want. Feel free to attach images, videos, and so on to your post.:

If I missed anything, please let me know and I will update this post.

Edited by znopp

There are a couple of other threads about this - I made one myself - but no official response yet. For now, you just have to kill it with Task Manager.

If you run with steamcmd you can run the server as a anonymous user.

run in bat file. be sure to edit values of x_install and x_steamuser before saving in notepad as a [anythingyouwant].bat file.

You may need to enable file extensions in the view tab for file options in windows explorer.

set x_install="C:\myserv"
set x_steamuser="mysteamusernmame"  

#install astronner dedacated server
steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir %x_install% +app_update 72840 + quit

#The guide does not tell you, but this seems to be a required dependency. 
#also requires you to login to download (should only need this portion once)

steamcmd +login %x_steamuser% +force_install_dir %x_install% +app_update 228980 +quit

#run astronner dedicated server
steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir %x_install% +app_run 728470 1 -log +quit

You will get the advantage of not having issues running client/server at the same time from steam.

Close with CTRL+C. Good luck dealing with dealing with publicly rotatable IP address space.

@Hatz Please explain a bit further.

I have now downloaded steamcmd and logged in as admin, the steamcmd folder is on my desktop. How do I proceed?

Kindly,

znopp

Ah I see. Sorry about the late response.

You do have a public (non NATTed) IP address right? Have you done port forwarding on your router?

1. Identify Folder that will hold the astronner server. This will be a path from the root of your drive and this is called c:\.

Might look like for your astroserver depeneding on how you want to set this up.

C:\users\znopp\Desktop\MyAstroServer

2. Copy the following text into a notepad file called "launch.bat" and save in your server directory. This should create a batch file that windows will process through the cmd interpreter shell thing.

Note: This may create a launch.bat.txt file, which is not what you want. https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beginner-how-to-make-windows-show-file-extensions/

set x_install="C:\myserv"
set x_steamuser="mysteamusernmame"  

#install astronner dedacated server
steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir %x_install% +app_update 72840 + quit

#The guide does not tell you, but this seems to be a required dependency. 
#also requires you to login to download (should only need this portion once)

steamcmd +login %x_steamuser% +force_install_dir %x_install% +app_update 228980 +quit

#run astronner dedicated server
steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir %x_install% +app_run 728470 1 -log +quit

3. Update the variables at the top of the file, these represent your server directory, and your steam username.

4. in a Command Prompt, Run

steamcmd +login YOUR_STEAM_USER +quit

This should prompt you for your steam password and ask you to login via email or whatever to authenticate yourself to steam. steamcmd is a super thin steam client after all.

5. Launch launch.bat

But before going into this, just know you have to have a public facing IP. ( You cant be NATed) This is when your ISP uses a single public IP to service multiple customers via their own private IP space and some Network Address Translation. Your router does this too. You get one IP from the internet, and connect it to many things on a private network via routing. YAY! except if your ISP is al readying doing this.

How can you Check if your behind a NAT?

1. Google "whats my IP"

2. Login to your router

2a. open cmd

ipconfig /all      

find the gateway address and paste the IP into a web browser. (google default login credentials for your router brand)

3. Change your Routers Default Password #security

4. go to IP settings, might be advanced internet settings who knowns.

5. Some place in your router, you should see what IP your ISP is handing you. (Not your local network, Defiantly wont begin with 192.X.X.X )

Did they match?

No: You are behind a NAT. Your options slimm down. Nitro or things get complicated for now. They might make online but local servers possible soon.

Yes: Google Port Forwarding and be sure to forward the port to choose in the engine.ini file mentioned in the guide.

It should also be UDP traffic when it asks UDP/TCP

INTERNET >  Router [Traffic on port X] > TO IP_OF_LOCAL_SERVER