Kitsy

Rover VS Tractor vehicle rebalance may be needed

currently,  the tractor  costs 1000 to research costs 2 aluminum,  an requires a small printer to make.   The Tractor has a medium slot, allowing it to use 2 small,  mount a small storage giving you 8 slots.   Plus it has the ability to act as an external power for other vehicles, trailers, or even table/platforms.  Since it only requires a small printer, you can drop a small printer, a small generator hook them up and build a rover if you have 2 alum anywhere.

The rover costs 1500 to research,  costs 1 aluminum + 1 composite,  requires a chair that takes 2 comp.   And requires a medium printer, meaning you need a platform to make it. 

As it is, the rover seems to lack any of the flexibility of the tractor, but costs more, is harder to make, requires more infrastructure to make.

Given this i've never seen a reason to build or use the rover usually...  just built a tractor and scout with it.    IF  you change the manufacturing costs of the rover to 2 compound, 1 resin, or some combination there,  such that you don't need a smelter to and aluminum.   It might become a lot more appealing as, even at 1500 research,  starting players COULD do it, an it would be come a more interesting default starting vehicle for players.

This Post makes me think you never created a medium rover before. 1 Rover with a seat has the same amount of space as a tractor with 2/3 trailers, so it's even more material efficient than the tractor. The Rover also has a T3 slot, which means that it can carry an insane amount of T2 items. Like you said with the tractor, the medium Rover is even better at functioning as an external power source.

If System Era went through with the changes YOU want, it would render the tractor/trailer completely useless, as one of the best benefits of the tractor is that it only takes basic materials. The Medium rover was not meant to be a starting vehicle, but as an upgrade to the tractor in most aspects. The tractor is meant for early game, and the medium Rover for Mid game. At the very least, the materials used should also correspond with those moments in the game.

I think you mean the buggy, rather than the rover? (Both rovers require the chemistry lab, so they're not starter vehicles.) The main benefits of the buggy are that it's fast and fun to drive. It's a sports car, while the tractor is a utility vehicle. There's also the legacy element; the buggy has been around longer, while the tractor is more recent.

17 minutes ago, Pippa said:

I think you mean the buggy, rather than the rover? (Both rovers require the chemistry lab, so they're not starter vehicles.) The main benefits of the buggy are that it's fast and fun to drive. It's a sports car, while the tractor is a utility vehicle. There's also the legacy element; the buggy has been around longer, while the tractor is more recent.

Yep buggy my error.    I use the tractor to start over the buggy just because i can't carry anything with the buggy.   The "rovers"   i tend to use the large one A LOT.   Comically i run with medium shreder, single seat, large cap, "powerpack"  with 2 wind generators, 2 solar...   then rear storage pack... 

But yeah, i think if they removed the aluminum, and increase it to 2 comp, 1 res...   so you can make them right away. 

Yup, large rover is the way to go, once you can make it. If you use a second large rover as a trailer, you can haul an extra-large shredder around for planetary beautification and profit (one RTG will keep it running).

You typically go down to find some aluminum 15-20 minutes into the game, and you need it immediately for e.g. the soil centrifuge, so I don't think taking it out of the recipe for the buggy would change much....

3 hours ago, Pippa said:

Yup, large rover is the way to go, once you can make it. If you use a second large rover as a trailer, you can haul an extra-large shredder around for planetary beautification and profit (one RTG will keep it running).

You typically go down to find some aluminum 15-20 minutes into the game, and you need it immediately for e.g. the soil centrifuge, so I don't think taking it out of the recipe for the buggy would change much....

not talking about removing the buggy though,  just changing it out so it doesn't require aluminum but instead can be made with just compound and resin.   maybe 2 compound and 1 resin, off medium printer,  +2 more compound for the seat,   and doing that would give you a quick vehicle you could use at the start till you can find aluminum.   (which realistically is still super easy to do.)   It would make the buggy the "starter" vehicle again.  As people would have a use for it in building it to quickly zip around and explore looking for little things.   like the small solar, wind an batteries, to get a little base power, to research more for the tractor and trailers.