Posted (edited)

So now we have dedicated servers we can have people signing into the same game at all hours. The problem is that there is currently no way to communicate what we've done to the next player logging on. For example, I went to Vesania the other day and built the beginnings of a base next to a Gateway, then harvested and brought back a load of Lithium, which is for anyone to use. Only no one is using it as they seem to be assuming that whoever harvested it has plans for it. I'd like to be able to leave some kind of in-game message letting other players know what I've done, especially in terms of actions I've performed on other planets, and what resources are for anyone to use.

The Message Pod would be a small item that you print in your backpack out of a common material (Resin or Compound). You set it down on the ground like a beacon, then interact with it to type out your message. The message length would be limited but would be enough for about two or three sentences. The beacon automatically indicates who typed the message (not who made the pod, as someone could make pods for someone else to use them), and could be overwritten at a later date, allowing for repeated use. The recipe would be unlocked from the start.

This would be ideal for players on a dedicated server where they do not know all of the other players.

Edited by Ghostwolf93

I have a public server where communication is a struggle too.  I've made a discord server for us to all communicate in, which is sorta working because I am only publicly sharing the credentials to that server via Discord, so I know everyone joining is already on the platform and able to join my server.

The developers have said that they don't intend to add any text-based signage or communication tools to the game because it would affect their ESRB rating in some countries.  There are countless chat programs players can use to communicate, but getting everyone to participate and communicate is a bit of a challenge.  There has been some talk about signs using iconography. 

Having some icons that would indicate that things in this area are for taking would be interesting.  Any ideas about what sorts of icons could indicate "these are for public use"?  Maybe a gift box?  Of course, that means conveying the opposite is equally important.  

On 6/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, Gina said:

I have a public server where communication is a struggle too.  I've made a discord server for us to all communicate in, which is sorta working because I am only publicly sharing the credentials to that server via Discord, so I know everyone joining is already on the platform and able to join my server.

The developers have said that they don't intend to add any text-based signage or communication tools to the game because it would affect their ESRB rating in some countries.  There are countless chat programs players can use to communicate, but getting everyone to participate and communicate is a bit of a challenge.  There has been some talk about signs using iconography. 

Having some icons that would indicate that things in this area are for taking would be interesting.  Any ideas about what sorts of icons could indicate "these are for public use"?  Maybe a gift box?  Of course, that means conveying the opposite is equally important.  

I didn't know the developers had said that about text, though I can see the concern. Hmmm. Regarding the idea of using icons, here's a few ideas I've come up with:

"For public use" I think your idea of a gift box or present would be a good option 🎁 

"For private use" I'm thinking we could have a padlocked symbol 🔐 

"X planet" We could have the first letter of each planet's name. Combine that with the ability to change the icon's colour, as well as other icons to indicate things you have done on that planet.

"Gateway Chamber activated" An icon of an Odd Stone, like those you interact with. Couple this with the planet letter icons to state what planet it's on.

"Base built" The default icon used for bases. In order to avoid these being confused with actual bases, these message icons should not project a beacon you can see from afar.

"Vehicle built" An icon of a Tire or Wheel.

"Established a way beneath the surface" I'm thinking a pickaxe could be used for that.

"This path goes deep down" An arrow pointing downwards ⬇️

"This way to the surface" An arrow pointing upwards ⬆️

"This way to important resources" An arrow along with an R for resource ⬅️R

Finally, a set of icons showing numbers from 0 to 9 in order to convey amounts. I started to realise as I wrote threes down that some icons could be used for navigation too, hence the last few ideas. Any other ideas would be welcome.