nathaninthailand

Expanding my base

I'm trying to increase the size of my base, and I can't expand past the structures like the printer and vehicle lab.

I know you can create junctures from my ship, and add more junctures onto them, but why do I have to use junctures?

Is it a bug or intentional that I can't build off structures?

So, I had something like this happen last night in a co-op game. Not entirely sure how my buddy did it, but once built, the farther one out could no longer receive power, so we had to put dedicated power on it. From what I can tell, only nodes pass-through power, and platforms cannot pass-through power.

It's not a bug, it's how the building system works..

Extend from your habitat pod.

ONLY PUT 1 RESIN on the new expansion to build the basic pad.

Extend from basic pad BEFORE you build advanced pad

Once you extend off a basic pad, you can no longer make it an advanced pad, it will stay basic and you can then use it as a modular base piece, placing storage on it, wind turbine, solar panel, etc.

When you build a small link (using 1 resin) you can continue to expand from it using additional links. Once you change that small link into a module (by adding 2 resin to it) then you can no longer create new links from it. If you have a base with no free links then you will either have to start a new game, or create a Habitat (using your Printer) and start a second base in your current game.

Started a new game and used a long chain strategy, where I created chains from the habitat, and attached modules to the sides of the chain;

M  M     M  M
   |  |     |  |
x--x--x--H--x--x--x
   |  |     |  |
   M  M     M  M

H = Habitat
x = small link (1 resin)
M = Module (Printer, Research, Vehicle Bay etc)

As a plus this design also gives you plenty of space on the links to put utility items such as Solar Panels, Batteries and Wind Turbines, without cluttering your modules.