The System Era team, I love your game! Can't get enough of it! I have started on a beautiful, bright blue and pink world with little storms and I have progressed a lot, building a truck with a storage trailer, expanding my base to many different planets and so forth. I come across lag. A lot of it. I don't know (and I'm not blaming you) if it's your game or that it's pushing the graphical power of my Xbox. I don't know, I'm not a tech wizard, I'm a 13 year old kid. But now I have since grown away from the beautiful bright blue and pink world and started a new game. Please give me advise on how to fix my game. I'd really like to start exploring again.

I had lag basically from the start and especially now that i'm at the point that i have everything but the crane and the spaceship

Same here. Lag both pre and post patch. It's now basically unplayable for me and I spent my last game getting offworld entirely without using ANY tethers. *fingers crossed for a fix soon*

P.S. My Xbox friends are all mad at me for playing this game so much. We all bought Titanfall 2 and BF1 together. lol

Edited by mr.curmudgeon

Yea, the lag is awful. But I have been trying to find advise and solve the problem on my own time. I started a new game and boom, just like that the lag was gone. But as I progressed I noticed that the lag kept "creeping in." I think that (A) the more hours you play the corrupted the game gets or (B) the more things you find and build puts tension on the game causing a frame rate drop.

Yes, I have been experiencing a lot of framerate issues as well, or lag, however you want to call it.

When I start a new game, it's fine, fluid. But as my 1st base grows, the lag starts to creep in, as you said, and never goes away. No matter how far away from the base I go, how empty is the area next to me, it still lags.

I colonized 3 planets already, I go to another planet where my base is just 1 habitat, 1 node, very small, still it lags the same. The lag never goes away.

I would expect, on another planet, with almost no objects, no items around me, it wouldn't lag anymore, it would be fluid again like in the start, but nooooooo. It seems like the more objects you have in the game, the more it lags, no matter if the objects are very far away from you.

Why is this? If I'm on Tundra with a very small base and my biggest base is very far away, on Terran, I don't even see my big base from here, why does it have to make my game lag so badly? I don't see my big base, it doesn't need to be rendered by the game all the time.

The big base can be loaded again when I come back to Terran. I hope they fix this issue soon, that everyone on Xbox has been having.

Yep, same here WildTiger, I tried to colonize all the planets but the lag got to a point where I will have huge 5 minute lag spikes. Right now, I'm on the barren moon of Terran. My buddy and I have set up shop and decided that this was the place with the least amount of lag. We travel from planet to planet at times but it's all the same laggy experience.

On 12/28/2016 at 6:58 PM, Lynx said:

The System Era team, I love your game! Can't get enough of it! I have started on a beautiful, bright blue and pink world with little storms and I have progressed a lot, building a truck with a storage trailer, expanding my base to many different planets and so forth. I come across lag. A lot of it. I don't know (and I'm not blaming you) if it's your game or that it's pushing the graphical power of my Xbox. I don't know, I'm not a tech wizard, I'm a 13 year old kid. But now I have since grown away from the beautiful bright blue and pink world and started a new game. Please give me advise on how to fix my game. I'd really like to start exploring again.

Why would you not blame the devs?

This game has the worst frame rate of any game I've ever played.

If you try to walk while carrying something back to your base, the frame rate is about 2 fps. 

This game shouldn't be on the GPP yet. Its no where near playable. 

As I write this I'm in space with my friend, but the only thing is... that my friend is in a cockpit of a spaceship... that's it. No shuttle. Just a seat. He is drifting through space above the moon. I picked up the cockpit with him in it as a joke, then the seat started to teleport and then he appeared in deep space... do you guys know how to get him back? He's afk right now so I can't tell him what happened and he can't see where he's at at the moment.

13 hours ago, mr.curmudgeon said:

Same here. Lag both pre and post patch. It's now basically unplayable for me and I spent my last game getting offworld entirely without using ANY tethers. *fingers crossed for a fix soon*

P.S. My Xbox friends are all mad at me for playing this game so much. We all bought Titanfall 2 and BF1 together. lol

Same. Played some Titanfall 2 today and wrecked some face with the Hemlock and Tone :D

I found out if the tethers are not connected on Xbox one it won't lag as bad the lag is reduced. I had over 300+ tethers going through cave systems and all over the planet and I disconnected them from my habit and it reduced the lag by 80%

10 hours ago, Lynx said:

As I write this I'm in space with my friend, but the only thing is... that my friend is in a cockpit of a spaceship... that's it. No shuttle. Just a seat. He is drifting through space above the moon. I picked up the cockpit with him in it as a joke, then the seat started to teleport and then he appeared in deep space... do you guys know how to get him back? He's afk right now so I can't tell him what happened and he can't see where he's at at the moment.

Lol too funny. Your friend was in cockpit and you sent him to orbit? Well seems like he can't land, I never tried that stunt lol. He will have to kill himself, in order to respawn back at the base. But, as you commented 10 hours ago, I guess he has already killed himself. R.I.P. my brave pioneer. You will be remembered as the great orbital lonely cockpit hero. Go with God to Heaven, fly away in your small deattached cockpit, brave angel.

Edited by WildTiger

I play on Xbox for astoneer and the only problem I have found is that when you load the world again some items that were in your backpack before are floating same for the storage units. It isn't anything major i just wanted to alert you about the bug. If in the future it does start to delete the floating items I will alert you.

great job with the game so far! It's graphics are probably better than Abzu.

On 28/12/2016 at 11:58 PM, Lynx said:

The most probable answer would be that all the chunks you have loaded stay loaded unlike many other games. All the bases and other thing that are on the planet you are will be loaded (if you explored them already). So if you have a a truck, a solar panel, a generator all running at day it will cause lag due to the fact that they are activated.

i hope you found this information useful.

Not seen any response from the developers yet... There have been a lot of similar posts about this and would be nice to see some feedback coming the other way.

I know this is a game in development, but we have all paid towards this so a progress update would be nice.....

I was totally hooked on this game until the last update and the Xbox lag started. Ruined it for me at the moment, so would like to know when the issue will be addressed.

36 minutes ago, Boychaz05 said:

The most probable answer would be that all the chunks you have loaded stay loaded unlike many other games. All the bases and other thing that are on the planet you are will be loaded (if you explored them already). So if you have a a truck, a solar panel, a generator all running at day it will cause lag due to the fact that they are activated.

i hope you found this information useful.

Like I said, it seems something along those lines is happening. I'm a programmer, I know this game is in pre-alpha, so we need to give the devs time to polish the game and work on the issues. Our "job" as gamers is to help them by providing feedback, warn about the bugs, that's what we are doing when we warn about one of the biggest problems right now, the framerate issues.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense to me to have all our bases, all our objects in the game loaded and rendered at all times, causing lag. I see no reason. Since framerate is a major issue, just unload and not render objects that are too far away from viewing distance, seems pretty straightforward to me. Create a virtual radius around the character, which is his viewing distance, and unload everything outside that radius. If I don't see objects in the game outside my viewing distance, there is no need at all for them to be loaded in the game, causing huge lag.

Same goes for other planets. When I'm on the Moon, I don't need all my objects and bases down on Terran to be loaded, rendered and causing lag for me. I don't even see them. Terran is a big planet, can be seen from the Moon, but everytime I look I never see my base anyway. So what's the reason? Even if they want the Terran base to be seen from the Moon, why not calculate the total area and replace all our objects on Terran by a big single picture that will simulate our base, with the same size as our base? Problem solved, it will give us the illusion it's our base, good enough for us, and it won't cause these huge amounts of lag.

Even the game Dual Universe, which is being made, I believe has a way to load and unload in real time objects in the game when they get too far away, when the player approaches a planet or objects, enters another small cubic area, and loading takes place behind the scenes. To the player, it seems like a seemless continuous universe, it has no loading screens, no apparent pauses to gameplay, as far as I understand.

Astroneer is beautiful at times, it's a shame it has such severe framerate problems. Players at least on Xbox in theory can travel to other planets and colonize them, in reality, when we finish our very 1st base, the game starts to become unplayable. I have 3 colonies so far, 1st Terran, 2nd Barren Moon, 3rd Tundra. On The Moon and Tundra, the lag started to get very annoying. Now I wish I worked more on Tundra, went exploring the caves, but it's so choppy, so jerky, that it verges the unplayable. Yesterday I started to play other games again, instead of Astroneer, because of the framerate issues. I still didn't visit radiated, arid, but with these framerate issues... The experience is almost ruined. I sure hope the devs fix these issues soon.

Great game. Just started 2 days ago and I absolutely love it. The only lag that is really bad is when my friend joins my server. We both play on just original xbox one’s. Perhaps it is our internet or just our system’s. Thoughts?

I can advise not to use the teters except the very beginning of the game. After the construction of rovers it is necessary to remove all the placed theaters and use only rovers for the movement. Tethers in large numbers are very heavy loading game, especially in network mode.

Edited by Mirosya

they need a optimization pass. One that just focuses on optimization and nothing else in my opinion.

Edited by GraShropp