Me and my brother have been arguing about the game being too forgiving, my thought is that he is right, but for the wrong reason. He isn't right because the game is too forgiving, he's right because the game has no way to be less forgiving. We would like a hardcore mode to be implemented. To make us spawn on crazier, more deadly planets(like lava or ice or crazy weather patterns) would be very cool. Also to disable or hinder markers on the pod or on beacons. Going back to planets, I think that in the starting screen there should be arrows on the far right and left of the screen to allow you to pick your planet and mode(easy, med, hard, singleplayer, co-op, multiplayer(competitive)).

Somehow I agree and don't at the same time...
Yes, death hasn't got any real impact, set appart the fact that if you want your stuff back you have to tread back to get it.
But you die really quickly. Two stabs of the spiky mushrooms and you're dead. Fall damage is really unforgiving right now.

Markers are already disabled by clouds, which i think i more annoying than anything. But it would make sense to make markers that need energy. Not much, they'd drain it slowly, but they'd need it and once they're out of energy, they get less efficient.

But the lava and more would be cool! But i think water would/should come first.

I think it will get more difficulties added.  On the road map they have a lot of really cool features if you haven't checked it out yet. I am with you, it is very forgiving and there isn't enough content yet to really make it less forgiving.  That being said, I put the road map below if you haven't checked it out.  take a look if not and see what they are planning.  I found it pretty interesting, most of the things I want are in there in some form already. 

https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-road-map-planning