Auto Death Gateway Bug

While on top of a gateway on Calidor, I randomly get killed while on full oxygen and power (I know that doesn't matter here, technically). No hostile plants nearby since I am on the top of the gateway (none are near the base of it either). This happened to me multiple times in a row. Please fix this game-breaking bug!

Hi,

Just wanted to add that I'm getting this bug fairly regularly but I do not see in the list of known issues. Hoping to raise the awareness of this as it really discourages even going near gateways. 

A couple things I've noted:

• It doesn't seem to happen around inactive gateways, only ones that have been powered.
  • At first I thought using the gateway was a required repro step but we've now had it happen without.
  • The same gateway seems to consistently trigger the bug, does not seem to be transient.
  • We've been playing on a Windows 10 dedicated server (self hosted), have not tested pure local games yet.
  • It seems to happen specifically when walking off the central pillar objects (now sunken into the floor having been powered).

My best guess is that it seems walking from the center pillars onto the surrounding platform triggers a sudden spike in fall damage, possibly from the player character re-parenting and getting a very large position delta.

Thanks guys!

-c

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem consistently on the gateway chamber next to my base.  I cannot use the chamber anymore because of it.

My understanding is that the "pillars" that are in place when unpowered are still there when powered, and your Astroneer collides with them and the game's resolution is to kill the Astroneer.

Please, fix this. 😬

• 5 months later...

this issue continues. Xbox One Vanilla. has happened at two gateways so far. The one i can confirm is North Gateway on Calidor. steps to reproduce...

activate gateway power somehow

step on to platform with oddstone

select oddstone

unselect oddstone

jump off platform towards the now-sunken power connectors

player takes immediate death damage  

i watched this happen to a friend first, then me as i jumped to his death spot  

• 4 weeks later...

This is consistently happening to me when I go to any of the gateways and get near and subsequently walk way from the stone.

Connected to a dedicated server on Windows with the December holiday update, but has happened in previous versions. This long-standing bug makes me not want to play.

Honestly i’ve come to enjoy this bug as a sort of “price of teleportation”. you might die doing it. but it’s not good when a bug becomes a mechanic. 

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine got me to get this game, and I really want to enjoy it, but every time I gear up to get some things done, my gateway kills me.  I now have, sitting alone at my gateway chamber, three vehicles several backpacks dozens of tether packs and dwindling desire to play the game anymore.   I really wanted to get my network going as part of my automation plans and not being dependent on the rocket for everything, at least not yet.   But, it's several hours of work, get back to the network, die, and start again.   

Any update on this?   From what I read, it might be multi player on dedicated server, but I hit it all the time.

Steps to repo:

• Walk to or drive to surface base 5
  • Walk up on platform where gaze ball is
  • do some things
  • Walk off the platform
  • Result: Take damage and die

Let me know if you need a repro gif or video, I'd love to play some more, but not without a fix

Edited by Simplex100
  • 2 months later...

Update: Bug still happens to this day, north Sylva gateway, multiplayer with my friend and killed me. Happened when I teleported there from another gateway and again when I ran over to it to collect my stuff. 

10 minutes ago, Xeractyll said:

Update: Bug still happens to this day, north Sylva gateway, multiplayer with my friend and killed me. Happened when I teleported there from another gateway and again when I ran over to it to collect my stuff. 

My friend is the host (through Steam). And about the pillars that are supposed to be up before you start charging them to make them go down (and unlock the gateway)... before I charged them, they were all down on my screen. I could literally walk through the center of it, but i couldnt place items in it, they would glitch and then "float" in the air. My friend says they see the pillars up beforehand, but for some reason I didn't. All of the pillars instantly shot up the moment I started to charge it. I'm kind of curious if stuff like this has anything to do with the situation at hand here. Though of course, this is multiplayer, and it sounds like many people have had the death bug on single player too. No clue about any of this, but it sounds like gateways are super buggy and have been for a long time. And as it was said before, it really does discourage us from using the gateways until this is fixed.