Thw0rted

Exiting dedicated server gracefully

Posted (edited)

I finally got the dedicated server in my Steam Tools, downloaded, configured, and it's running.  Great, now how am I supposed to quit it?  The Steam page for it has changed the "Launch" button into a "Stop" button, is that safe to do?  What if I launched it outside Steam, do I have to kill it in Task Manager?

How do I even know it stayed running, without Task Manager?  Every other headless server I run on Windows has a tray icon, but I don't see anything like that.

Whatever the answer is, it should be documented in the official instructions.

Edited by Thw0rted
You should support Markdown

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Quit. Maybee you mixup the good words here.

..  In fact, the server is supposed to run permanently... so there is no real use to quit the server...

You may be the server host, you are also a server players with the admin rank ( or maybe not )

As a player connected to the server, you may disconnected from the server... witch will continue to be alive without you connected.

If STOPPING the server, well, the server is "dead", all the connected players are disconnected. No more server. The gaming instance is saved.

When restarting the server, the last saved gaming instance restart. You may have several saved instance. 

Seem's the one starting is the one in ./steamcmd\steamapps\common\ASTRONEER Dedicated Server\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

You may also have a bacckup in ./steamcmd\steamapps\common\ASTRONEER Dedicated Server\Astro\Saved\Backup\SaveGames

How do you know if it stay alive, you DON-T. Use task manager. Or created a service inside windows ...

As for the official instructions, you have to understand the company goal is to raise some revenue, hence the renting service...

The main difference between dedicated and rented server are:

- achievement

- auto-updated

--- else, but not found yet.

Edited by strat38

OK, to clarify, I'm aware that the server is designed to run in the background indefinitely.

As an example of what I'm asking, this same system is running a Plex server.  It runs at startup, and has a little tray icon to show me that it's active.  I can right-click the icon and look at the server's log file, or kill it.

I'm also running a dedicated Minecraft server.  This has its own status window complete with a console and a list of connected players.  If I close this window, the server stops running.

Astroneer has neither of those things as far as I can tell.  You run the server binary and it just sits in the background, no window, no tray icon, forever, unless you kill it.  That's not great design, and I was hoping I had missed something that let me *gracefully tell it* to exit, without just having the OS murder it via SIGHUP.

agreed with all your are highlighting.   

But seem the home-dedicated server side is not their main objective now. So i don't believe any fix or update soon.

I have tested a nitrado 

The missing stuff so far are how to transfert my home-dedi save to it, how to save the files games if i quit them...

This is not clear...

Somebody on Reddit said they talked to support and I guess there's some way you can FTP in to the file system and add/remove game saves?  If that's true, though, it weakens the argument about limiting your ability to maybe hack/cheat on the hosted servers, right?  I haven't dug much deeper myself, I'm not planning on buying the hosted service.

Posted (edited)

Yep, saw this thread also.  Seem nitrado is not very happy about ftp-ing stuff to their servers....

So far, the ftp on nitrado allow only to retrieve logs

But seem work in progress:

- yesterday, FTP was disabled. Enabled today again. but nothing new.

- a new tab appear today and goes to  AstroServerSettings.ini ( config files ) .

screen cap link https://nextcloud.rkn.ovh/index.php/s/XRn3LAijba5gRgd

Edited by strat38

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 11:41 AM, Thw0rted said:

That's not great design

Thw0rted, I wanted to say something so you don't feel so alone about this one. You are right, this is not great design. To allow myself some self-indulgence: I'd say that writing server applications for Windows is "not great design" to begin with, except in narrow cases that are tightly coupled with other Windows-specific technologies (.NET, etc.) but, to use one of my most hated expressions, that's neither here nor there.

You mentioned sending the server a SIGHUP but surprise, surprise, Windows is not a POSIX-compliant OS so there's actually no "good" or "proper" way to do something like this, unless you use IPC, etc. Basically, Astroneer has to be designed to allow for a graceful shutdown.

But all that doesn't mean you can't do something to make things better, however little it is. This is what I'd do: make sure all clients have disconnected, preferably through the game menu system (instead of, say, Alt-F4 or some other hard quit); give the server a moment to write down save files and whatever other bookkeeping it does (older saves would require more time); cross your fingers and hope file handles are closed (or at least the buffers are flushed); kill the server process from the Task Manager or PowerShell or however you want.

Cheers, and here's to hoping for a proper Linux server, akin to Minecraft or Factorio.

- g

Edited by Hyler

I would be totally happy with a simple status window like you get with a (Java) dedicated Minecraft server. Of course more advanced IPC, paired with a tray icon for control, would be great, but I assume that's more work.

I haven't actually been able to use it at all yet, because my router doesn't support loopback NAT.  I'm not going to worry too much about quitting the server until they fix that...

On 6/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, Thw0rted said:

I would be totally happy with a simple status window like you get with a (Java) dedicated Minecraft server. Of course more advanced IPC, paired with a tray icon for control, would be great, but I assume that's more work.

I haven't actually been able to use it at all yet, because my router doesn't support loopback NAT.  I'm not going to worry too much about quitting the server until they fix that...

I would have to agree with a some sort of status window or tray icon. I have found even trying to click stop from Steam on the Astroneer dedicated server screen does nothing and have to kill the .exe from taskmgr. I would leave it live but it is more of just a testing environment thing for me. Play off my Astroneer local save as it is only me. Setup up a server more so to see what all the fuss and excitement was about.