Pailzor

Alignment mod not working right?

Posted (edited)

My understanding of the Alignment Mod's "flatten" mode was always that it would lock the Terrain Tool into flattening perpendicular to the planet's radius of gravity. This clearly isn't the case (see pictures; one on Novus, and the other on Sylva), as it doesn't lock in the radius' length at the place I started, leading to unintended bridges into the sky (which I thought the alignment mod was supposed to prevent).

I thought the Alignment Mod was made to "flatten" according to the curvature of the planet. Is this not the case? Is it bugged instead? Was this never intended to allow us to create a completely spherical planet, like I want to do?

IMG_360f654a-9018-4b5c-af23-c116410992db.png

IMG_7ddef037-c481-442f-9bc9-b2248f673b35.png

Edited by Pailzor
Fixed typo

yep.. it's a disaster, and wait to see the asphalt machine ... you want to die

5 hours ago, Mutoit said:

yep.. it's a disaster, and wait to see the asphalt machine ... you want to die

The paver? It's not too bad, bugs aside. I just wish terrain tool mods would work with it and the rover drill, so we could paint as we go, or lock its height with the alignment mod, or just use it as a lawn mower with the inhibitor mod.

On 5/27/2020 at 12:42 PM, Pailzor said:

The paver? It's not too bad, bugs aside. I just wish terrain tool mods would work with it and the rover drill, so we could paint as we go, or lock its height with the alignment mod, or just use it as a lawn mower with the inhibitor mod.

those are all really good ideas.

unfortunately good ideas tend to come here to die. they wont be heard by anyone who matters, and they stand very little chance of being integrated into the game.

ever driven the paver/drill combo to the center of the planet? it's a complete cluster-cuss, with the gravity inversion there you might as well be digging your own grave.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:46 PM, Pailzor said:

My understanding of the Alignment Mod's "flatten" mode was always that it would lock the Terrain Tool into flattening perpendicular to the planet's radius of gravity.

I want to add my ¢2 here. I've been playing for a long time and yes, I agree, the Alignment Mod is confusing (broken is probably a better term) as heck. As it is, it's really no better, and sometimes worse, than the regular Flatten/Level mode of the Terrain Tool.

What makes this even more infuriating is that the developers actually made the regular Flatten/Level mode work pretty well, and now you can get a rather satisfactory degree of levelness... with some work. The Alignment Mod should be a step forward in the quality and ease of this process so that the player can spend more time on other things at that stage of the game.

Pailzor, you are exactly right. The way the mod should work in order to make sense (and be immeasurably more useful) is to use the same value for the distance from the planet's center to the surface that was calculated when you pressed down the mouse button, no matter how far away you walk. If you go over a chasm, you should expect the tool to make a bridge over it; if you go into a mountain, you should expect the tool to dig through. In other words, you should be able to—in theory—create a whole new surface sphere at that exact distance from the center if you took the time to walk over the whole planet.

Which would effectively give you a "flat" round surface, or the closest thing to it that the current geometry implementation would allow.

I'm not a game developer though I do write code for a living, so I'm really curious whether this is a technically challenging endeavor or a matter of priority. Could we get a dev to at least explain what the intended functionality is or why it's hard to make it work properly, or generally why certain things are prioritized before others? We're not mad (I hope I speak for everyone) but some more visibility into the design process would be super nice.

Thank you for making a great game.

- g

I just got this game about a week ago and discovered the Alignment Mod a couple of days ago. I have also noticed the strange behaviour that you have noted as I also wanted to make a spherical planet.

The only, semi-reliable, way to do it is to aim at your feet, draw a small area, move your Astroneer, and repeat. It is a lot more of a pain in the butt this way since the constant moving and clicking means that I frequently end up clicking on my backpack and interrupting my build tool.

This tool right now behaves just like the flat plane leveling tool, with the exception of the starting point being locked tangent to the planet's radius on the initial click. I was expecting it to paint as far as I could reach and keep the same distance from the core the whole time I was drawing. That would make a much nicer curve than the constant cliking I have to do.