Aliriana

Playing on different computers...

Is there a way to transfer save files to another PC?  I play on a desktop but also would like to be able to sit back and relax/unwind and play the same game file on my laptop.  Is this possible?  If so where are the save files I can copy over?  Or is there a Steam Cloud I can activate? 

Thank you!

On 5/25/2020 at 4:20 PM, Aliriana said:

Is there a way to transfer save files to another PC?  I play on a desktop but also would like to be able to sit back and relax/unwind and play the same game file on my laptop.  Is this possible?  If so where are the save files I can copy over?  Or is there a Steam Cloud I can activate? 

Thank you!

Cloud saves are due to come in the next update. For now you'd have to move the save files in C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

now, you can also "rent" a server, so your games will be online and alive permanently

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 2:20 AM, Aliriana said:

Is there a way to transfer save files to another PC?

If you use a cloud backup service like Dropbox or similar, then there's a reasonably easy way without having to copy and move files around.

Basically, you have to store your save games in the directory that's watched by the backup service so they are always synced up. So, for Dropbox that's "Dropbox" by default, for OneDrive it's "OneDrive", etc., and those directories (again, by default) are under your home directory. Here's the actual way:

1. (Make sure the game is not running.)
  2. Move the save game folder ("Astro" and everything inside it) to your cloud backup folder somewhere. For me, I put it under Dropbox/Games/, so that the final path was Dropbox/Games/Astro.
  3. Where the save game folder was, create a soft link with the same name, pointing to where you moved it. The command for making links is "mklink" and you will have to use the "/d" switch. (See here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink)

Suppose my name was George, which it is, then I would move the "Astro" folder to Dropbox and the path would be this (and inside is everything that was already in it):

C:\Users\george\Dropbox\Astro\

Then, I would open the Windows PowerShell and go to where the folder used to be and create a link named "Astro" that points to the folder "Astro" that I just moved to Dropbox:

cd C:\Users\george\AppData\Local\
mklink /d "Astro" "C:\Users\george\Dropbox\Astro" 

Now, if you double-click (in Windows Explorer) on the "Astro" link (should look like a folder with the shortcut arrow on it), you should see the contents: Saved, etc.

Once it's synced up, on the other computers that you want to play on, install the cloud service that you use, let it sync, delete the "Astro" folder from AppData, and create a link to the one that was synced down to the PC by whatever service you use. Basically, repeat the steps above EXCEPT the one where you move the folder—you already did that, now it should be there since it's syncing down from the cloud.

As long as you're only playing on one PC at a time, you should have no issues. I've been doing this for a while.

Cheers.

- g

PS. Doing the above with the "Astro" folder will make it so that everything in it is backed up, which may not be what you want, depending on what else SE decides to store there in the future (for now it's pretty lean). You can repeat the above process but move and link only the actual save game folder, which is two levels down: Astro/Saved/SaveGames. In this case, you'd move the SavedGames folder and make the link to it inside Astro/Saved.

Edited by Hyler

I play the Windows Store version and it cloud saves so I can pick up on other computers.